Is it possible for us to have an elderly forum?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ladyinred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2009, 12:27 pm

It'd just be nice to have a place us 45+'s can have a place to chat, about all the stuff we go through, that doesn't really apply to the younger ones. Like going grey and wrinkly, being incontonent, memory loss....

kip
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 12:47 pm

Yea Mods, keep them in a small area, they keep getting lost in the young adult forum, making us change diapers...

I jest, really. You guys are awesome. I do think this would be a good idea, so I second it.

Will there be a thread on oldies music? Please? Cause then I'd come by...

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 12:54 pm

First reaction: I'm not there yet!! ! :evil: Then again, maybe I will be in a few minutes.

It's been suggested before, such as the thread: "New forum for 35+ year old Aspies" http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt67988.html. You'll find a bunch of old folks there, and I imagine that most people who responded have also "subscribed" to that thread.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 1:07 pm

ladyinred wrote:
It'd just be nice to have a place us 45+'s can have a place to chat, about all the stuff we go through, that doesn't really apply to the younger ones. Like going grey and wrinkly, being incontonent, memory loss....

incontinence and memory problems are also part of life for some younger Auties and Aspies,and some people go grey in their twenties [red haired especially,but lots of things can do it] so there could be a lot of WPers able to relate to the same sort of stuff no matter the age,cause or ASD label.
There is a older age related board further down the list called In-Depth Adult Life Discussion,that could be a good area to post on if want answers only from older people.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

ladyinred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2009, 1:08 pm

kip wrote:
Yea Mods, keep them in a small area, they keep getting lost in the young adult forum, making us change diapers...

I jest, really. You guys are awesome. I do think this would be a good idea, so I second it.

Will there be a thread on oldies music? Please? Cause then I'd come by...

what oldie music do you enjoy young pip?

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 1:22 pm

ladyinred wrote:

Since when is age 45+ elderly...? My parents are in their early 70s and they don't consider themselves "elderly." I would never
consider myself "elderly" at 45 or 50...

ladyinred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2009, 1:25 pm

Oh yes, I was in denial for a long time, but looking back now, I realise how true it is, once you reach 45, thats it, finnito, capish. Thats when my breasts began to creep out the bottom of my shirt :(

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 1:46 pm

I think that a section for the more mature WPs would be a good idea, but it is interesting that some of the older aspies & auties here seems to be quite happy chatting with the younger ones.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

suburban-robot
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 May 2009, 3:19 pm

I second the oldie music thread! I thought this was a thread for 'silver surfers', 45 - 50 isn't so oldie :)

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2009, 6:16 pm

I'll support the elderly forum, although I do think a better name for it would be the "Mature Forum"

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 7:30 pm

Not sure if you've been there yet, but there is this monster thread created specifically for people age 40+.

PineComb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2017, 5:53 pm

If it helps any, I'm 70, and though I've always been scatterbrained, I'm just beginning to have some real memory issues. I've had a hard life with a lot of hard physical work and a couple of knees replaced when I was 55. Many of us have softer cartilage that gives us ungainly movements and that hasn't stood up well to my challenges. The major difficulties I seem to face are worsening of EF skills and sensory, especially noise irritation. Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer. It's hard to not have anyone who understands. If my challenges can serve to help those who come after it will be a comfort to me.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 6:52 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
ladyinred wrote:

incontinence and memory problems are also part of life for some younger Auties and Aspies,and some people go grey in their twenties [red haired especially,but lots of things can do it] so there could be a lot of WPers able to relate to the same sort of stuff no matter the age,cause or ASD label.
There is a older age related board further down the list called In-Depth Adult Life Discussion,that could be a good area to post on if want answers only from older people.

I am not there either! I can't help but think young. I feel no different mentally then I did as a young pup. I listen to current music, keep current on most technology as well. In short I'm really only 25!! :mrgreen: Then I look in the mirror and wonder wth is staring back at me!! 8O :lol:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 6:59 pm

I like the idea (and somehow missed the topic since I became a WrongPlanet.net member)! Whether we start a new subforum or start frequenting the Dino-Aspie Ex-Café, I would enjoy it!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 7:06 pm

PineComb wrote:
...beginning to have some real memory issues...worsening of EF skills and sensory, especially noise irritation...

I am four years behind you and wondering whether some of the same might be getting started with me. One thing for certain is that my brain gets tired and I become less than fully functional far more easily than ever in the past.

PineComb wrote:
Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer. It's hard to not have anyone who understands. If my challenges can serve to help those who come after it will be a comfort to me.

Definitely, and please post freely here at WP! Welcome.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 7:35 pm

"You don't stop moving because you get old; you get old because you stop moving."
Pete Seeger was still chopping wood two weeks before he checked out. I've always tried to integrate exercise into my work, but now have to deliberately waste time and energy to stay healthy in retirement. I just got my first bifocals, and am trying to get my teeth fixed.