How to detect Narcissists (common partner for AS/Asperger's)

Page 4 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 2:10 pm

This thread has such an informative, well thought out first post that I'm actually going to take time to fully process it before saying anything.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 4:55 pm

jdanaya wrote:
I highly doubt NDP, and BDP are related, since BPD to my knowdlge hate themselves, and feel empty I have a friend who could be borderline, and I know people who can be considered NPD, my mom thinks I am narcissistic but if she saw the way I talk about myself on here, she would blush.

Thank-you! Someone here actually knows what BPD is!

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 5:06 pm

Some of this sounds sadly familiar with a few people I have met.

A family member and a neighbour comes to mind.

I tend to ignore it now, as I know when feelings are fake.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:16 pm

8O

Most of those describe my first husband. I certainly knew there was something wrong with him, and learned for myself that he was a dangerous person (I probably haven't said five sentences to him since I left seven years ago - best decision I ever made) but I didn't know what it was. Too bad he still successfully manipulates most of the people around him.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 11:29 am

I have an easier way to detect narcissists:

Anyone who gives themselves any praise or draws attention to themselves without any real cause.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Jul 2012, 11:51 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:

Anyone who gives themselves any praise or draws attention to themselves without any real cause.

He/she could be a playa instead of a narcissist

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

nick007 wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:

And those two are different... how?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Jul 2012, 12:36 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
nick007 wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:

And those two are different... how?

Narcissists are people who are obsessed with themselves & believe they are the only important person. Playas are obsessed with the game & they don't necessarily believe they are important; it's more of an act

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

acentupleflat
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2012, 5:18 am

I had a 'friend' who was a narcisst, not that hardcore a one, but one anyway. He was very verbose and would condemn those who weren't 'like him'. OP makes perfect sense. Good post.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 6:01 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:

You mean attention seekers? Ugh....I hate those types.

Narcissists are those who are willing to hurt others to get to their goal...Attention Seekers are harmless but stupid.

huytongirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm

[quote="ToadOfSteel"]I have an easier way to detect narcissists:

Anyone who gives themselves any praise or draws attention to themselves without any real cause.[/quote]

That chilled me. Because that was one of the first things that troubled me about my ex.

I have just got over the first week after the relationship ended. He broke up with me for the third time in six weeks just at this time last week. He'd been doing this since the first day we were together - over and over again. The game was: He hurt my feelings. I got upset. He walked out. I made contact and tried to get him back. Obviously this has escalated to the point where it can't go on - our last conversation wasn't calm, but it must be as clear to him as it is to me.

The self-praise, though. The stories he used to tell! or rather, the same few stories, over and over, of how people had praised him, been astonished by his psychic powers, of how wonderfully he'd done jobs, the kindnesses he'd shown people...

As for the "superior to everyone" bit - he tans quite a dark, and he thinks he is part Native American. Well, reasonable - if we weren't living in England. (Native Americans are viewed as sacred and mystical here).

Also he used to make very little eye contact. Now there are surface, co-incidental similarities between autism and NPD, which made me start to think, Maybe he's autistic too. But that was yet another mistake I made.

A few days before we split, I jokingly put my face very close to his while we were in bed. Later, he said, "When you did that, I had the instinct to hit you."

It both heartens and horrifies me to read that so many of us have ad relationships with Narcissists. At least I'm not alone, as an autistic, in this. But it's still horrible. Even if he never hit me (and there were a few accidental things) the danger to us psychologically is immense.

I'll be obsessing about this for a while. Another autistic trait...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 2:53 pm

I can spot one a mile away now,I was married to one for twenty some odd years.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 5:22 pm

Why would all the scaremongering attention go to "narcissists" when you've got sociopaths and psychopaths?

lolcatwt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2013, 2:40 am

Thank you for your fantastic post. I wish I had read it before my last relationship.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 2:41 pm

I've never known someone enough to think of them as a narcissist, not before or after reading the OP. That was a very informative post.

I do think I knew someone who had BPD, (bi-polar personality disorder.) She did things for attention constantly, it was pretty blatant, and she did put me down a couple times. I suppose she knew how to get under my skin even though she hardly knew me. Hardly anyone I knew liked her, men and women both, she was quite hard to get along with most of the time. She didn't seem to like herself overly much though either. She didn't strike me as an evil person, even if I didn't like her. When I think about it, I feel bad for her. Of course I wasn't in a close personal relationship with her, I only hung around her back in the day because she was a friend of a friend. She's married with kids now, seems much calmer than she was in her teenage years, and I wish her the best.

Since the topic's brought up, I also think I've had a roommate who was a psychopath or sociopath (I still mess those things up.) I have a hard time giving a description of who he was, but it just seemed that he only did things for himself yet he was very good at being friendly and close to people. He wasn't attention-seeking, but he's the only person I've known to actually steal a significant amount of money, (not for a drug addiction or something either.) I don't wish him the best, because best for him would probably be him duping someone out of money.

I guess either of these people may in fact be narcissists instead, but I never formed any sort of meaningful connection with either of them for me to really know.

As to NT's thinking aspies are sociopaths, I've had an aspie or HFA tell me he's a sociopath because of his lack of empathy. And then there's also the difference between cognitive and affective empathy. If you really want NT's to not think of autistics as sociopaths, there needs to be a differentiation of the lack of empathy that a psychopath has compared to the lack of empathy a autistic has, because as it stands 'lack of empathy' is a strong characteristic of both disorders.

As to people confusing narcissists with bi-polar personality disorder, I find it interesting the claim that narcissists aren't happy people either. If you have BPD and you say that you fear abandonment as key, and that you act up out of fear. That's fine, but how do you know how a narcissist is feeling? Because if you cite your emotions as different from theirs, you have to know what theirs are too.

Poor motivation

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 2:42 pm

Uprising wrote:
Why would all the scaremongering attention go to "narcissists" when you've got sociopaths and psychopaths?

Because a psychopath doesn't care if they hurt you or not, while a narcissist seemingly thrives on it.

Poor motivation