Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 4:18 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:
Treatment of AS involves coping with and mitigating the effects of the syndrome.

Not in my case.

Treatment of my supposed AS involved me mitigating the effects of my personality.

That is actually what I meant; the effects of the syndrome are, in fact, your personality. Or, I should say rather that they are core to your developing personality (depending on your stage of development).

I think you object to it being called a syndrome like I object to it being called a disorder. Variant is a fantastic word, and I think it reflects the way I feel, too.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:51 pm

Alright, I admit my initial reasoning was too shallow. I failed to recognise that labels can invariably change and are never completely accurate, but as much as I try I, personally, can't justify labeling myself.
I view labels as something to make sense of the exterior world, not my inner world as it's a contant flow that will never slow enough for me to make a reliable label that fits for long.
As such I accept labels placed on me by others, as they represent the way the world sees me. I don't always like or agree with them, but I accept them and process these labels to see if I really do recognise myself in them. Depending on the outcome I can then choose to try to alter these aspects of myself or I come to the conclusion that the label holds no truth but that it is still a representation of how I present myself to others.

I don't know, I've always been laidback about this stuff.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:54 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Christopher Gillberg wrote about Asperger's and he said for adults it's crucial to find the ones who are isolated, get them diagnosed and find them an appropriate support network of people (not therapists or psychs, just everyday folks) who know about ASDs. This can significantly improve outcomes for adults with Asperger's.

Yeah, heaven forbid that someone should actually be allowed to be happy living their own introverted life the way they themselves (such as me) choose to! :x Why can't these "experts" realise that not all of have that need? These "experts" with all their education should surely be the first to know how different people are. Sadly they aren't. It's scary that people with so little insight to the human diversity (neurologically and otherwise) have so much power over others. Grrrr....

:wall:

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:58 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Christopher Gillberg wrote about Asperger's and he said for adults it's crucial to find the ones who are isolated, get them diagnosed and find them an appropriate support network of people (not therapists or psychs, just everyday folks) who know about ASDs. This can significantly improve outcomes for adults with Asperger's.

Yeah, heaven forbid that someone should actually be allowed to be happy living their own introverted life the way they themselves (such as me) choose to! :x Why can't these "experts" realise that not all of have that need? These "experts" with all their education should surely be the first to know how different people are. Sadly they aren't. It's scary that people with so little insight to the human diversity (neurologically and otherwise) have so much power over others. Grrrr....

In the case of Gillberg I think he has personal issues and a need to play God, some sort of severe complex. He takes it out by dictating the lives of people with AS. When he started the revival of AS in Sweden no one else was even interested and for a long time he had a complete monopoly. If you study Gillberg a little you will see I'm right. The man has some serious issues and found a way to play God and rule over the lives of countless others.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:59 pm

Let me say this:

The length of my life does not mean a thing to me. Only the quality of it. I also have no fear of death. I ultimatly choose to live, and I do desire to see where my life goes. But you better damn well stay clear of me, and not interfere with the direction my life is headed, unless I invite you to. Labels? Bah.... I only need them when I have a medical cndition I need treating for. And speaking of that, I need to go get checked for siezures, as I suspect that I have experienced absence siezures in the past, and can confirm one incident, although the doc won't find that out till after I get checked out.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 9:00 pm

Alrighty, so I've come up with a theory.

None of you really hate the labels. You hate the enforcement of the labels, you hate people forcibly pushing their views of how they percieve you and trying to make you become this non-existant entity.

Don't hate the labels people, labels are your friends. Pushy douchebags, however, are the real enemies.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:04 pm

Zoonic wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

In the case of Gillberg I think he has personal issues and a need to play God, some sort of severe complex. He takes it out by dictating the lives of people with AS. When he started the revival of AS in Sweden no one else was even interested and for a long time he had a complete monopoly. If you study Gillberg a little you will see I'm right. The man has some serious issues and found a way to play God and rule over the lives of countless others.

I know you are right. I have read one book by him and that was more than enough to see him for what he is. I have never read anyone so seemingly biased against the people he is supposed to be helping.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:08 pm

Also, as a transexual, I can't get any form of treatment to help me without a diagnosis of my transexuality... Where I am, I need to be diagnosed GID to go anywhere with it... And that is not a diagnosis people necessarily like giving, and a lot of the times the doctors will try to focus on anything but gender issues... So, without that label, I am essentially screwed. Labels... They can be good, or bad... it just depends on how they are used.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:16 pm

Skilpadde wrote:

It's just that some people with AS aren't happy living that way. They want jobs, marriages, careers, parties, families.
I know what you mean, tho. I would love it if society said "Yeah we know this is just the way you are and we are gonna leave you alone and let you be true to yourself." even if being yourself means not dealing with "them".

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:36 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I would love it if society said "Yeah we know this is just the way you are and we are gonna leave you alone and let you be true to yourself." even if being yourself means not dealing with "them".

Sadly it is still viewed as wrong to be gay, bi, les, trans, antisocial, irrationally fearful, self absorbed, intellectually inferior, etc. in most of the world. Then we have the parts of the world, and groups that believe it is morally wrong to have a particular faith, skin tone, belief system, etc. And there is more.... Why can't people just care more about being themselves, and stop worrying about who everyone else is trying to be?

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:40 pm

Lecks wrote:

None of you really hate the labels. You hate the enforcement of the labels, you hate people forcibly pushing their views of how they percieve you and trying to make you become this non-existant entity.

That's at the heart of what I meant by "Down with Labeling People."

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:42 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
Lecks wrote:

That's at the heart of what I meant by "Down with Labeling People."

Then stop picking on the labels. They've done nothing to you :(

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:42 pm

Padium wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I would love it if society said "Yeah we know this is just the way you are and we are gonna leave you alone and let you be true to yourself." even if being yourself means not dealing with "them".

Sadly it is still viewed as wrong to be gay, bi, les, trans, antisocial, irrationally fearful, self absorbed, intellectually inferior, etc. in most of the world. Then we have the parts of the world, and groups that believe it is morally wrong to have a particular faith, skin tone, belief system, etc. And there is more.... Why can't people just care more about being themselves, and stop worrying about who everyone else is trying to be?

I mentioned Christopher Gillberg for those who want the support system. It's supposed to benefit Aspies who are trying to earn a living. Sometimes it's hard to stay employed because confidence is lacking and a support group can make a difference. It can mean staying at a job or quitting for some. It's for adult Aspies since many people complain everything is geared toward youth. The support system isn't.
I wasn't implying anyone should change who they are if they don't wanna. I know there's things about myself I am very stubborn about and feel resentful when pressured about changing them so I would never tell someone to try to be an extrovert if they were happy being an introvert.

It would be easier if people would stop worrying about who others are, I agree. Far easier for me but I am pretty much convinced that's just a utopian dream. I doubt human nature is going to change that much in my lifetime so I have my fantasies about living in an imaginary Utopia instead ;)

Dilemma
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 May 2009, 12:38 am

Quote:

Don't hate the labels people, labels are your friends. Pushy douchebags, however, are the real enemies.

Exactly what i meant in an earlier post.

It's funny that some of you are saying about the personality thing. A Dr told me about my daughter "some of these things can just be personality traits" (duh really?) I don't diagree with this at all since i consider this to be a different view and understanding of the world rather than a "problem" but if there are problems that come from this, every day life is disrupted, then it calling it "just a personality" becomes a problem because it's dismissed as that and then getting help becomes difficult.

Fiddler, thanks for your replies.