Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dilemma
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2009, 4:54 pm

I think it comes down to how you (or your parents if diagnosed as a kid) handle the label rather than the label itself. You don't have to tell everyone or anyone really except those who are going to help you or those you trust!

And the ones who treat you badly, probably would have anyway!

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 4:59 pm

Dilemma wrote:
I think it comes down to how you (or your parents if diagnosed as a kid) handle the label rather than the label itself. You don't have to tell everyone or anyone really except those who are going to help you or those you trust!

My parents told everyone. My mother walked around (not literally) naked and kneeled before all the neighbours and other parents to children in school and asked them to punish her for what her AS son did. She humiliated herself and her family by behaving like an attention-seeking Münchausen whore. She used my diagnosis for attention and whoever she met or talked to she felt a need to "lighten her heart" and tell my entire lifestory, only interrupted by deep sighs and an attempt at tears in order to get even more attention and possibly a stranger's shoulder to cry on. Her own pain was because she came from a dysfunctional home herself with a mother who tried to commit suicide a couple of times and both parents abusing alcohol and valium. My entire childhood she misdirected these emotions onto me and sought attention for my problems by crawling in the dirt before everyone she met. She almost seemed to get some kind of orgasm from telling others about my diagnosis.

In school, the teachers went out into all the classrooms, even the seniors in different blocks, and held a little speech in front of class about my "problems". So basically an entire city learned about my diagnosis. I still feel murderous when I think about it. I want my name cleared.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 5:17 pm

Dilemma wrote:

The thing is...you can't really always be sure, even with the people who are going to supposedly "help" you or trust.

If they themselves are ignorant or frightened of the issues (perhaps through no fault of their own or because the believe everything they hear) it's going to do more harm than good even if it is supposedly well meaning. The services although well meaning were pretty "shoe string" and a blanket "one size fits all" approach to any educational or emotional difficulties anyone could potentially have.

To be quite honest, some of the kindest people supposedly trained in things like this admitted to me that they didn't really have a clue. Many of them saw the issue as shepherding and fixing me because I was "broken", rather than helping me to help myself (which would have been far more productive).

I've lost some very good, trustworthy friends by telling.
Many of them simply don't believe in AS anyway or are frightened.
Especially family.
Lots of people thinking it's just a sham.
Honestly, I thought it was all a conspiracy for years, and I was the one originally placed in therapy!

I really have yet to meet anyone who will treat me as a capable "AS" person.

According to people I'm either:

A capable intelligent individual

Or

An incapable handicapped AS person

They see the two as mutually exclusive: they don't see how I could potentially be both.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 6:05 pm

I think an AS label could be theoretically helpful if it were accompanied by better understanding and useful employment accommodations. In reality a diagnosis is fairly useless for adults who are on the high functioning end of the spectrum, at least in the US.

The problem is there's way too much focus on parents. Society is obsessed with children and parenting to an unhealthy degree. It's not about helping kids to grow up to be functional in society. It's more about the parents needs than the kids needs. This isn't surprising since the parents are the ones who foot the bills. The whole medical system in the US is a bit of a sham.

Dilemma
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2009, 6:21 pm

Everyones experience is just so different that i don't think we can sit around saying "Down with all labels" or "Labels are good" it's just different for everyone and whatever works for each individual is what they should go with.

Marshall, are you a parent? There is a problem if the focus is too much on parents and parent's needs, although Mothers especially often get the short end of the stick and SO much blame is put on us, most Dr's would rather brush things off as poor parenting on the part of the mother than an actual issue with the child. We should parent consciously, but according to the childs needs and not our own. I'm getting my child evaluated so that we as a family can understand her better and learn better ways to deal with her when she is having issues and help her cope, more importantly so that she can understand herself and figure out ways to cope with her issues and feel that we understand her as well. I'm not interested in putting a neon label above my childs head or medicating her or having her therapized for the rest of her life or separating her from "normal" because i don't consider this something wrong or abnormal, i consider it a different way of thinking and seeing the world that SOCIETY is not build to deal with, and so it has to be her that is taught to deal with it and i'm not interested in getting attention off of her issues, i'm interested in helping her understand and cope with her reality, the way she sees the world.

Does that make sense?

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 6:34 pm

Dilemma wrote:
I guess i kind of get annoyed with the digs at those of us who are self diagnosed, as if we are all people who think it's cool to be labeled, that we're just doing it for *insert reason here*

Who was digging at those who are self-diagnosed? I am self-diagnosed, and I am the OP. Exactly what good comes of calling yourself an Aspie?

It helps to understand AS, and it helps you to understand that you have traits that are associated with the spectrum. The self-discovery process is absolutely awesome, and I feel like I have had a lot of questions answered about myself. Heck, there were questions I didn't even know to ask!

Then again, I'm still me and nothing is really changed, other than a bit of clarity as to the whys.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 7:05 pm

Dilemma wrote:
Everyones experience is just so different that i don't think we can sit around saying "Down with all labels" or "Labels are good" it's just different for everyone and whatever works for each individual is what they should go with.

Marshall, are you a parent? There is a problem if the focus is too much on parents and parent's needs, although Mothers especially often get the short end of the stick and SO much blame is put on us, most Dr's would rather brush things off as poor parenting on the part of the mother than an actual issue with the child. We should parent consciously, but according to the childs needs and not our own. I'm getting my child evaluated so that we as a family can understand her better and learn better ways to deal with her when she is having issues and help her cope, more importantly so that she can understand herself and figure out ways to cope with her issues and feel that we understand her as well. I'm not interested in putting a neon label above my childs head or medicating her or having her therapized for the rest of her life or separating her from "normal" because i don't consider this something wrong or abnormal, i consider it a different way of thinking and seeing the world that SOCIETY is not build to deal with, and so it has to be her that is taught to deal with it and i'm not interested in getting attention off of her issues, i'm interested in helping her understand and cope with her reality, the way she sees the world.

Does that make sense?

Honestly, that is fantastic. She is lucky to have such a caring parent.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 7:15 pm

Dilemma wrote:

I actually said "Down with Labeling People!" not "Down with all labels." That may seem like I'm nitpicking, but I see a huge difference in intent and attitude.

The attitude I see here too often is "I'm an Aspie, therefore NTs can't possibly understand me." That is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You have to embrace who you are, the parts that you think are "Aspie" and the parts that aren't. "Being a label" only confuses and obfuscates who you truly are.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 7:19 pm

Dilemma wrote:

Does that make sense?

Yea. I agree. I wasn't attacking all parents. It just seems like there's a lot of focus on children with AS yet very little understanding when it comes to adults who appear on the high functioning end yet can't handle a typical job. Children get more attention because parents can pay.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 7:26 pm

Christopher Gillberg wrote about Asperger's and he said for adults it's crucial to find the ones who are isolated, or having problems at work, get them diagnosed and find them an appropriate support network of people (not therapists or psychs, just everyday folks) who know about ASDs. This can significantly improve outcomes for adults with Asperger's.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 9:16 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Christopher Gillberg wrote about Asperger's and he said for adults it's crucial to find the ones who are isolated, or having problems at work, get them diagnosed and find them an appropriate support network of people (not therapists or psychs, just everyday folks) who know about ASDs. This can significantly improve outcomes for adults with Asperger's.

Most things Christopher Gillberg says are complete BS. Instead of "Mao's little red" or "Das kapital" the Holy Book which was forced down my throat while growing up was Gillberg's "One child in every class". Everything in it was basically wrong when it was applied to me.
Gillberg is the modern father of developing clinical methods based on stereotyping. He himself sees the world in black and white and have a hard time understanding that individual people are hurt.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 9:34 pm

If you were epileptic, would you prefer not to be labelled as such? Having a label helps people to know what kind of treatment you need that most others don't, as well as treatment you don't need most others get. Labels are good. The only negative side to them is that they can be used to discriminate, but that is not the intent of a label. Personally, I carry the label GID (gender identity disorder), this means I can get treatment for being trans. Although I would prefer not to have such a label, it is a medically necessary one for me to be able to move forward in life.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 9:48 pm

Padium wrote:
If you were epileptic, would you prefer not to be labelled as such? Having a label helps people to know what kind of treatment you need that most others don't, as well as treatment you don't need most others get. Labels are good. The only negative side to them is that they can be used to discriminate, but that is not the intent of a label. Personally, I carry the label GID (gender identity disorder), this means I can get treatment for being trans. Although I would prefer not to have such a label, it is a medically necessary one for me to be able to move forward in life.

Oh yeah, right.

I recieved "proper treatment" in the form of 8 different disastrous medications, until the psychiatrist (the same one who diagnosed me) seemed to realize it was going nowhere except for giving me side-effects and declared that "further pharmacological treatment is not currently an option".

I also got the "right treatment" in the form of custom made AS school with only teachers who turned towards Gothenburg three times a day to pray to their deity Gillberg and to recite "One child in every class" with burning fervor. They knew every detail of what someone with AS required, in fact they knew so much about AS that they could read my mind (sarcasm).

I sure got the right treatment and it made so happy and at ease with the world! :cheers:

dyp
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 May 2009, 11:11 pm

zoonic, I'm sorry you went through what you did. I can only hope I don't make the same mistakes as a mother as yours did.

That being said.

Labels can suck, if they are used incorrectly.... BUT if you know how to spin it, and what to say, a label can really be a wonderful thing. Labels are only there to help people associate the unknown with something they can wrap their petty feeble little minds around.

Take Manure.... it's perfectly acceptable to spread manure on the lawn, HOWEVER you take some cow dump and use it to bed your plants and THAT is socially not acceptable.

I'm 29, I was just diagnosed. I spent my whole life as the town "freak." Hated and ridiculed in school. Called a "devil worshiper", because I was not satisfied with the socially "correct" monotheistic religious interpretations / rules forced down peoples throats. Called a "snot" because I was too shy speak most of the time. Called "teachers pet" and "know it all" when I knew more about a subject than the teacher did. Called "psycho" " Insane" "inhuman" "Hateful" "Insane" my entire life, by strangers and family alike. The nicest of my hecklers dismiss me as "eccentric" "artistic" "just herself." Unfortunately those people are FEW and FAR in between.

I'm from a small town of 9,000. Psychiatry is seen as something for the crazies only. My up bringing was that of my parents and their parents which was "buck up and deal with it." You NEVER ask for help! You NEVER let people see you shaken!

So for 29 years, I honestly wondered why I was different, what was different. I was to the point I thought I had to be insane, so insane everyone else could see it, but i could not.

So, on the edge of something irreversible, I went to a psychologist. I actually went against EVERY SINGLE morsel of "sage" advice and went to see "how" I was crazy and "what with" before I made the decision to complete above mentioned irreversible act.

It took the shrink less than an hour to put a whole new spin on every single crappy moment of my life. With one single "label" . "Creative"

I don't have to tell people I have Asperger's. For me the label of Asperger's and creative brain is so much better than the labels I was given before. In my area, saying I have Asperger's has less detrimental than "insane crazy devil worshiper." PLUS....

I have a son who just turned 8. He was diagnosed with Asperger's ( We were diagnosed at the same time.) Looking at my life, and how crappy it was before I knew I had asperbergers and now that I have a name for why and how I am different..... Tattoo it on my head for all I care. I never want my son to have to live with the fears and insecurities I did. Without the diagnoses my son would just be the "strange kid with the insane f-ing mother." With the label he is " The brilliant kid with the artistic mother."

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:18 am

Padium wrote:
If you were epileptic, would you prefer not to be labelled as such?

Epilepsy can be assessed for using objective physical tests.
It's a physical condition.

I'm not so sure about AS.

Actually, if I was epileptic I would be hesitant to be labeled.

This might mean that I would not be allowed to operate machinery or go on excursions in case I had a "fit".

Other people's ignorance of the condition might mean that I was denied opportunities when I might have been alright anyway.

Padium wrote:
Having a label helps people to know what kind of treatment you need that most others don't, as well as treatment you don't need most others get.

This wasn't true in my case.
The label and attitudes of those around me exacerbated the issues.

The people who were supposedly trying to help me were ignorant of the main issues or biased by the idea that I was "the problem".

Truthfully, what can I do about something that's me.
Change my personality?
An inherited personality?

Padium wrote:
The only negative side to them is that they can be used to discriminate, but that is not the intent of a label.

I don't know.

Given my experiences, I'd beg to differ.
In the early years, I was excluded from a lot of activities because I had the label and I was only permitted to interact with the other kids at certain times. The school needed the money for services and I was a perfect target.

Basically the negative label was used as an excuse to say:

Quote:
"You are the weakest link. Goodbye!"

I don't think I'm alone in this.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:28 am

I label everything and everyone, given enough time I'll probably label each and every one of you aswell. It helps me make sense of the world.

Just because some people fail to grasp the purpose of labels or missuse them, doesn't mean we should dismiss them. You can blame the label(s) you were given, you can ignore them or you can accept them. In the end they will still be there. You're labeled the second someone lays eyes on you and nothing can change that.

If you wish to fight your label(s) be prepared for a long and fruitless struggle.