Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 3:11 pm

Seems to me that TV and real life gives the notion that anyone who doesn't do these things in their adult years is considered a failure...or at least I feel like one since I dont follow this...

Apparently if in your 20s you are not finishing college...you are done with college and you're living in an apartment in the big city with friends where you have a standard 9-5 job and you're partying on weekends.

By at least your early 30s you are to be out of the big city and married and be out of the apartment life and should start having kids.

Ugh...I dunno what to even think about this. I know not every NT goes through their adult years the way mentioned above but now it seems so standard. It makes me feel more like s**t that I'm unemployed and living with the parents. But it's not like even if I had friends that I would enjoy living with them. I imagine it would be a nightmare for me if my college dorm life is any indication.

Thoughts?

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 4:28 pm

I'm 40 years old, single, and never married. I also live at home with my parents. Most people think I have it made. They also repsect me for the profession I am in.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 6:29 pm

Due to the high cost of housing and the crappy economy, a lot of folks are still living with their folks. It's a freaking national trend; I've read about it in the Wall Street Journal. So Aspies are trend setters... ain't that something... brains and ahead of the pack... :D

But there was no way on god's little green earth I was going to stay in the same town as my folks, let alone the same house!

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 2:11 am

Screw what other people think. You do what you want, life isn't long enough to please them.

Masuna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2009, 3:39 am

Forget that crap, do what You want! Aren't you living in that country thats always blabbing about freedom?

Boira
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2009, 4:20 am

Forget that.
I understand what you mean, you have to follow a their planning or you're a failure. I live alone and do as I please. After the 8 usual hours of corporative slavery, I have 16 more to do exactly what I like to do, without a care in the world.

I've found that people who criticise me for my way of living are just envious!
No, sorry, 4 kids, a bunch of gossip-neighbours, chitchat with coworkers and and mother-in-law aren't my idea of a succesful life.

Pinklollipop
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2009, 11:46 pm

Yea and it also drives me crazy to feel like I haven't accomplished anything. Who cares about how people are supposed to live. You should take your time, I don't think it's a big deal if you're living with parents at 20-something, a lot of people still do plus it saves money.

aspieguy101
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2009, 6:43 pm

I know what you mean and used to feel like a failure all the time because of it. Still do every now and then but don't we all? Personally, I'm 21 and as mentioned before, still live with my pops. I went to college for 2 years but it wasn't for me. It's not for everyone either so why pretend it is? Same with the lifestyles you are describing. They aren't for everyone so why pretend that? Someone said something on another discussion board that I kind of agree with..that going in the opposite direction of society is often a good policy to abide by. Screw what the lamestream media says since they know a lot less than they want us to believe. Live for you. Personally, I have no car, no paying job, no girlfriend, etc. but oh well. If I'm an outcast because of all this then so be it. Have a good day alright.

aspieguy101
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2009, 6:44 pm

Masuna wrote:
Forget that crap, do what You want! Aren't you living in that country thats always blabbing about freedom?

this