Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 8:53 am

zer0netgain wrote:
I'm sorry, the rest of that video does not dignify a response. It is full of selective quotation full of ignorance of what the Bible teaches as a complete document. Must be crafted by an Christian-hating atheist who attacks something he's unwilling to understand.

The video was a deadpan right on accurate reductio ad absurdum of Christianity. It was probably done by a neo-Pagan. Neo-Pagans are my kind of people. I would rather deal with a fair minded Pagan of good will then a sanctimonious Christian zealot any day of the week.

ruveyn

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 9:10 am

he's an atheist. he has his site at http://www.godisimaginary.com

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:03 pm

wait, there are intillgent christains? :twisted:

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:05 pm

cognito wrote:

Well, they call themselves Christians, at least.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:13 pm

ruveyn wrote:
The video was a deadpan right on accurate reductio ad absurdum of Christianity. It was probably done by a neo-Pagan. Neo-Pagans are my kind of people. I would rather deal with a fair minded Pagan of good will then a sanctimonious Christian zealot any day of the week.

ruveyn

No, it really wasn't a deadpan right on reductio ad absurdum. Taking a document and misinterpreting it hardly proves or disproves anything, and most of the interpretations that were made are thoroughly rejected and have been for a long period of time. The only one of the things mentioned that was seems even close to right was the very first criticism, as the early church *did* have a pacifistic streak, but even then this does not seem to be enough to force Christians to claim that the Bible tells them to be utter pacifists, and most theologians reject that interpretation in favor of something closer to the Just War interpretation.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:26 pm

Henriksson wrote:
cognito wrote:

Yes, there are intelligent Christians. Not knowing that only expresses a very deep ignorance of Christianity, as there are significant Christian philosophers and apologists in existence. Alvin Plantinga is recognized by other philosophers as one of the best minds in philosophy today. Apologist William Lane Craig is recognized as one of the best debaters(and is also a philosopher who does work in metaphysics). This can shock you because you consider Christianity absurd, but I think you under estimate the extent to which human belief is rational, even among people who tend to value rationality even.

As for them "calling themselves Christian", well, there is little evidence to say that they aren't. I mean, if you are referencing the video, I already addressed it. It is not an honest reading, and I have already gone in sufficient length to address this point. I don't know what kind of metric you would use though.

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:29 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
cognito wrote:

Yes, there are intelligent Christians. Not knowing that only expresses a very deep ignorance of Christianity, as there are significant Christian philosophers and apologists in existence. Alvin Plantinga is recognized by other philosophers as one of the best minds in philosophy today. Apologist William Lane Craig is recognized as one of the best debaters(and is also a philosopher who does work in metaphysics). This can shock you because you consider Christianity absurd, but I think you under estimate the extent to which human belief is rational, even among people who tend to value rationality even.

As for them "calling themselves Christian", well, there is little evidence to say that they aren't. I mean, if you are referencing the video, I already addressed it. It is not an honest reading, and I have already gone in sufficient length to address this point. I don't know what kind of metric you would use though.

I twas being facetious

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:29 pm

As my up-and-coming essay will suggest, Christians disobey Jesus because they are already socially accepted and have boyfriends and girlfriends.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:39 pm

cognito wrote:

Your point is hard to take seriously when you simultaneously insult other people's intelligence and misspell 2 words in a single sentence.

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 2:36 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
cognito wrote:

Your point is hard to take seriously when you simultaneously insult other people's intelligence and misspell 2 words in a single sentence.

as I said, I spoke in jest, IF you had bothered to read my next post, it said I was making a joke.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 2:54 pm

cognito wrote:
as I said, I spoke in jest, IF you had bothered to read my next post, it said I was making a joke.

Keep in mind that if someone starts to compose a reply, they won't see any post more recent than when they started to compose it.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 11:42 pm

MikeH106 wrote:
As my up-and-coming essay will suggest, Christians disobey Jesus because they are already socially accepted and have boyfriends and girlfriends.

What about Christians who are single and social pariahs?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 1:45 am

Orwell wrote:
MikeH106 wrote:

Orwell, the only Christians in existence are WASPs. Didn't you know that?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 1:48 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Orwell wrote:
MikeH106 wrote:

Then what about single, socially isolated, WASPs?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 2:25 am

Orwell wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Orwell wrote:
MikeH106 wrote:

Then what about single, socially isolated, WASPs?

Can single, socially isolated WASPs dominate politics or oppress blacks? Probably not, so on what grounds do you call them WASPs? They're probably just closeted gays or atheists who have not gone up and admitted it.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 10:53 am

Why do they disobey Jesus? Because they are SATAN LOVERS :P :twisted: (Hehe, joking, please don't mind)