Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

26 May 2013, 10:15 pm

Is an Asperger's diagnosis enough? How about Learning Disability-NOS/NLD?

I do have many of the classic symptoms of ADHD but nothing in writing saying I have it.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 10:59 pm

I don't know.

I prefer provigil to adderal. It's not really a stimulant but a "wakefulness" drug normally prescribed for people who do shift work. It seems to have a similar effect as a stimulant for me but with less side effects and much slower tolerance build up (for me at least). I got it because I complained of over drowsiness as a side effect of risperdal. I quit the risperdal after a few months because I hated it and it made me gain weight but I was able to keep the provigil prescription. I told my psychiatrist it had a positive effect on my mood so he let me stay on it. The insurance company didn't need to know that it was an "off label" use.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 11:02 pm

Did you need ADHD to get this? I mean, I'm pretty sure I easily have ADHD, but if I can't get it with the diagnoses I have, it means I would have to get yet another diagnosis. I already have a long list of them. :roll:

This business of chasing DSM codes has become my new hobby. And I'm tired of it. :(

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2013, 11:18 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Did you need ADHD to get this? I mean, I'm pretty sure I easily have ADHD, but if I can't get it with the diagnoses I have, it means I would have to get yet another diagnosis. I already have a long list of them. :roll:

This business of chasing DSM codes has become my new hobby. And I'm tired of it. :(

I'd say it depends on whoever you're seeing and if they feel it would be best for you. Having a diagnosis shouldn't be something you're sad about, it tells you more about yourself, and explains why things may be more difficult for you than the "normal" person. I know for me, finally having a diagnosis of AS and ADHD made me realize I'm not just stupid, lazy, or difficult.... I'm wired differently and it give me problems with things like learning how most people are able to learn or the difference between my lazy days and my executive dysfunction. There is DEFINITELY a difference- Lazy days are "Eh.. I don't feel like it right now, maybe later," Whereas Executive dysfunction is I WANT to do something, my I physically have difficulty getting started or stopping. It's also been helpful because now I know what kind of methods I can use to cope with my weaknesses and how to utilize my strengths better... AND where I should look for resources.

If you do feel ashamed of all of your different conditions, remember NOBODY has to know about them at all if you don't want them to (with the exception of the doctor who diagnosed you, because they're the ones who told you.. So obviously they're going to know) Just remember, they're merely part of you, they don't completely define you. You're so much more than a diagnosis.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 2:16 am

twich wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

I'd say it depends on whoever you're seeing and if they feel it would be best for you. Having a diagnosis shouldn't be something you're sad about, it tells you more about yourself, and explains why things may be more difficult for you than the "normal" person. I know for me, finally having a diagnosis of AS and ADHD made me realize I'm not just stupid, lazy, or difficult.... I'm wired differently and it give me problems with things like learning how most people are able to learn or the difference between my lazy days and my executive dysfunction. There is DEFINITELY a difference- Lazy days are "Eh.. I don't feel like it right now, maybe later," Whereas Executive dysfunction is I WANT to do something, my I physically have difficulty getting started or stopping. It's also been helpful because now I know what kind of methods I can use to cope with my weaknesses and how to utilize my strengths better... AND where I should look for resources.

If you do feel ashamed of all of your different conditions, remember NOBODY has to know about them at all if you don't want them to (with the exception of the doctor who diagnosed you, because they're the ones who told you.. So obviously they're going to know) Just remember, they're merely part of you, they don't completely define you. You're so much more than a diagnosis.

Ok, but I already have a long list of diagnoses. Adding more is just going go scare me. I mean, I am sure I have ADHD and bipolar disorder too (diagnosed years ago but lost the paperwork), but really really don't want to get these added. The ones I have are more than enough to cope with as it is. If I could get what I need without more labeling of myself as a f****d up person, I would.

If I could get on lithium from depression and adderall for Asperger's, I don't see why I would need to look into getting diagnosed with bipolar and ADHD. In fact, I'd rather not.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 2:24 am

Make sure you mention the bipolar suspicion if you do find someone willing to prescribe ADHD meds, they can trigger manic episodes in bipolar people so the doctor needs to keep a close eye on you. A mood stabiliser would be ideal to go along with this (Lithium as you suggested).

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2013, 2:26 am

I honestly don't know why someone with NLD would need Adderall. I focus just fine when I need to.

The only medication I got put on that relates to my NLD is citalopram and that's because of my anxiety and depression.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 2:35 am

Noetic wrote:
Make sure you mention the bipolar suspicion if you do find someone willing to prescribe ADHD meds, they can trigger manic episodes in bipolar people so the doctor needs to keep a close eye on you. A mood stabiliser would be ideal to go along with this (Lithium as you suggested).

I don't need more stigmatizing labels. :(

Anyway, my manic episodes are fairly mild (basically, productive, sleepless, and lots of sex -- not much harmful behavior or no more than during depressive episodes). But I want to take lithium anyway for depression. I am starting a new job and would really not prefer to be so useless...

RasberryFrosty, then maybe I don't have NLD; maybe I have ADHD instead. I have a hard time focusing and a serious problem with procrastination in a variety of contexts. I have heard of others with NLD who have similar problems. So maybe everyone is different and there is a subtype of NLD that is pretty close to ADHD (e.g. mine). It could be I have ADHD but specifically focused on visual tasks (hence the NLD). I also disassociate during lectures, however, which are not visual.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2013, 3:21 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Anyway, my manic episodes are fairly mild (basically, productive, sleepless, and lots of sex -- not much harmful behavior or no more than during depressive episodes). But I want to take lithium anyway for depression. I am starting a new job and would really not prefer to be so useless...

RasberryFrosty, then maybe I don't have NLD; maybe I have ADHD instead. I have a hard time focusing and a serious problem with procrastination in a variety of contexts. I have heard of others with NLD who have similar problems. So maybe everyone is different and there is a subtype of NLD that is pretty close to ADHD (e.g. mine). It could be I have ADHD but specifically focused on visual tasks (hence the NLD). I also disassociate during lectures, however, which are not visual.

Problem with bipolar is you don't know if it could get out of hand. Added to you don't know how certain medications affect your episodes (they could make them worse for instance).
I don't know, I suspect I have something that's tied to attention regulation and executive functioning. Since I'm bad at math, I thought it might be dyscalculia but people with NLD also tend to be bad at arithmetics. I have a procrastination and focus (attention regulation) problem, too. And especially, I often disassociate/fall asleep/fall unconscious when under-stimulated like in a lecture or a presentation or while reading, all the time. It is really embarassing and if I'm in a work situation it's detrimental to my productivity. And I also have difficulties starting or stopping doing something. Which is why I also thought about Adderall, or something in that vein but I'd had to get to talk to my therapist about it.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2013, 3:41 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Noetic wrote:

I don't need more stigmatizing labels. :(

I never said you didn't have NLD; I apologize if it seemed that way. And you're right, some people don't present the same issues as everyone else with the disorder.

There are different clinical subtypes of NLD: Perceptual, social, written expressive, and attentional. Where you diagnosed with a specific one? When I was with vocational rehab my caseworker explained to me that my NLD was in the category of being great at written communication and not verbal communication.

When I'm in my lecture classes, I have issues with remembering the information that is presented to me verbally because it's too much for my brain to handle to process it.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2013, 9:41 am

Why do you want Adderall? I have AS and ADHD. Adderall was amazing at first and helped, but after a few months of being on them for 12-16h per day, I was a walking zombie. I also found that although I worked harder and longer, I completely lost my creativity. I wouldn't mess around with this unless you have a very good reason to blast your brain with such powerful stimulants.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 11:41 am

Tyri0n wrote:

No. I don't think I have true ADHD. Maybe some traits here and there but not full blown. I have "autistic inertia" (horrendous procrastination) and depression which Modafinil/Provigil seems to help with. It also seems to help me control my anger better for some odd reason. I cut down on it a little recently because I felt like I was building up too much tolerance and I've been feeling more irritable and meltdown prone. :( It definitely is doing something good. I've heard a lot of company executives / small business owners like Modafinil/Provigil as a performance enhancer.

Last edited by marshall on 27 May 2013, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 11:58 am

oceandrop wrote:
Why do you want Adderall? I have AS and ADHD. Adderall was amazing at first and helped, but after a few months of being on them for 12-16h per day, I was a walking zombie. I also found that although I worked harder and longer, I completely lost my creativity. I wouldn't mess around with this unless you have a very good reason to blast your brain with such powerful stimulants.

Adderall is really harsh to come off of. It also stops working really fast. If I need a strong stimulant I just drink coffee.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2013, 7:23 pm

Tyri0n wrote:

Ok, but I already have a long list of diagnoses. Adding more is just going go scare me. I mean, I am sure I have ADHD and bipolar disorder too (diagnosed years ago but lost the paperwork), but really really don't want to get these added. The ones I have are more than enough to cope with as it is. If I could get what I need without more labeling of myself as a f**** up person, I would.

If I could get on lithium from depression and adderall for Asperger's, I don't see why I would need to look into getting diagnosed with bipolar and ADHD. In fact, I'd rather not.

I've got a long list, too, ASD and ADHD are only two of them. I know not everyone sees it the way I do, that it helps explain who they are and why they do the things they do- I was just trying to help you see they're names given to help you understand yourself, I didn't mean you HAVE to go get a diagnosis, but it really does depend on your doctor and whether or not they'd be willing on giving you a medication for off label uses or without a formal diagnosis. Have you tried alternatives for now while you're waiting to find someone to prescribe? I know things such as red food dyes, and aspartame really cause me problems ADHD wise, but I also know caffeine is my friend when I'm having trouble focusing, so I generally make a habit of having at least some caffeine daily to keep it under control. Look into other medications and other options that aren't medication while you're waiting, you might find something cheaper, less harsh, and more effective for you.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 12:01 am

twich wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

Ok, but I already have a long list of diagnoses. Adding more is just going go scare me. I mean, I am sure I have ADHD and bipolar disorder too (diagnosed years ago but lost the paperwork), but really really don't want to get these added. The ones I have are more than enough to cope with as it is. If I could get what I need without more labeling of myself as a f**** up person, I would.

I've got a long list, too, ASD and ADHD are only two of them. I know not everyone sees it the way I do, that it helps explain who they are and why they do the things they do- I was just trying to help you see they're names given to help you understand yourself, I didn't mean you HAVE to go get a diagnosis, but it really does depend on your doctor and whether or not they'd be willing on giving you a medication for off label uses or without a formal diagnosis. Have you tried alternatives for now while you're waiting to find someone to prescribe? I know things such as red food dyes, and aspartame really cause me problems ADHD wise, but I also know caffeine is my friend when I'm having trouble focusing, so I generally make a habit of having at least some caffeine daily to keep it under control. Look into other medications and other options that aren't medication while you're waiting, you might find something cheaper, less harsh, and more effective for you.

Yes. Noopept causes issues with my PTSD and mood swings with Borderline PD, so I don't take it. I had some aniracetam which I tried today, and it was absolutely amazing and killed my depression too. I have heard that aniracetam is like a weaker version of adderall. So this is another piece of info I can tell my doctor. Unlike noopept, aniracetam makes me feel calm and gives me a flatter mood. Aniracetam is technically a dietary supplement easily obtainable through retail sources; it's not a prescription drug, and it's weaker than adderall. But if that helps me, I bet adderall might work even better, though aniracetam supposedly has fewer side effects.