Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 5:12 pm

What does everyone think about terrestrial television and radio?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 5:30 pm

I much prefer Martian programs myself.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 1:24 pm

What do you mean by "terrestrial"?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 2:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What do you mean by "terrestrial"?

It means the radio transmitter is on Earth, rather than in orbit.

Most ignorance is vincible ignorance. We don’t know because we don’t want to know. It is our will that decides how and upon what subjects we shall use our intelligence. Those who detect no meaning in the world generally do so because, for one reason or another, it suits their books that the world should be meaningless.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 2:41 pm

They are easier to decode that satellite-broadcast programs.

(Claiming moral equivalency between one's own
immoral acts and those of another is a null defense.)

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2021, 8:53 pm

I think "terrestrial" is a European/Australia term (I live in the US). "Over-the-air" is a more common expression in North America.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2021, 12:20 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
I think "terrestrial" is a European/Australia term (I live in the US). "Over-the-air" is a more common expression in North America.

I would say the more common term is BROADCAST radio/TV. Though, with the rise of satellites and things like Sirius/XM subscription satellite radio, terrestrial may be used as a point of distinction.

I remember Howard Stern was surprised that more people didn't switch over to satellite radio, but it's still impractical for the average person and much easier to use broadcast/OTA/terrestrial radio, especially in the car. And now, with streaming services, satellite radio isn't the only alternative.

With TV, the cool thing about digitization is the addition of sub-channels. Not too long ago, Cable TV was a nice luxury that offered 50+ channels, in comparison to terrestrial broadcast that could, at most, offer maybe 10 channels tops (if you lived in a major market area). And many people weren't so lucky. Now, one station may have 4 or 5 broadcast sub-channels, meaning there's more available over-the-air.

And notice how the dominant radio players ABC/NBC/CBS in the USA became the dominant TV players, and to this day most major programming is still broadcast related.

So, I think terrestrial TV and radio are still quite prevalent.