Anyone else gave up and has a phone just to verify s**t?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2021, 2:10 pm

I can't believe how annoying sites are becoming, like infuriatingly... I have no one to call or sms, or naturally no phone contract or any useless nonsense... but not if the internet has any say about it... at the rate we're going a goddamn google search will require sms verification, I'm so fed up... what's the point of having credit to verify this s**t? Maybe I'll live in a cave instead...

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 2:11 pm

Having to verify everything by phone is so irritating. You can't avoid that anymore and I hate giving my number out.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 11:11 pm

There are Web-based free SMS accounts you can use.
But I always forget to bookmark the ones that work the best, so I just get lazy and use my GF's phone.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 12:45 am

No, I gave up in the other direction: I stopped using those services.

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Apr 2021, 1:47 am

My phone is essentially a banking and SMS-verification device. Every once in a while it's also useful as a backup internet connection to check my email when regular broadband is down for whatever reason.

I tried to use it as a music player, but it doesn't like my earphones for some reason, so I use an old tablet for it instead. Poor thing can barely run Spotify. Though really I guess it's not so much a poor thing as apps are poorly made instead. No way Spotify actually needs any more than a few megahertz and kilobytes to just freaking load a playlist. All this planned obsolescence all around annoys me greatly.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

15 Apr 2021, 3:42 am

I hate all this mobile phone business. I've got one that only calls and texts and only like to let my family have the number. I use the landline to verify internet banking and don't use two-factor authentication on any other sites. It's getting more annoying to do anything without having a smart phone :x

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 3:36 pm

I don't use many Internet services so I don't have to verify much but I can absolutely see the problem with it.