Cosmic web might feed galaxies for star formation

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:30 pm

This is interesting, I don't know what the feedback mechanisms are that actually coalesce the cosmic web or pressurize circulation of material through it but the idea here is that it ends to send gases and other materials to galaxies which then enables more star formation.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 7:25 pm

So...the universe has a plumbing system? Of gas mains that connects every galaxy with fresh stellar building material?

I cant even wrap my head around wtf it is that he is talking about.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 7:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
So...the universe has a plumbing system? Of gas mains that connects every galaxy with fresh stellar building material?

It gets at least a little firmer toward the end.

If it reminds me of anything maybe mycelium networks in top soil, at least in terms of what it's doing, but I get the sense that the vacuum of outer space is probably helping to compress this material into the channels it forms, ie. giving it a biology-like read is probably a bit preemptive.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 2:18 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

It gets at least a little firmer toward the end.

If it reminds me of anything maybe mycelium networks in top soil, at least in terms of what it's doing, but I get the sense that the vacuum of outer space is probably helping to compress this material into the channels it forms, ie. giving it a biology-like read is probably a bit preemptive.

Why would a vacuum "compress" anything?

You get less air pressure with less air. Not MORE air pressure. :lol:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 9:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Why would a vacuum "compress" anything?

You get less air pressure with less air. Not MORE air pressure. :lol:

Small gravitational effects might amount to more than they would in our heliosphere. Compression might not have been the best word but it's more like vacuum enabling some type of weaker compressive force.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 5:18 pm

I've heard the Cosmic Web described as being like a foam of bubbles, with empty(-ish) space inside the bubbles and dark matter concentrated mainly on the skin of the bubble. Where several different bubbles meet, there are edges and corners where the dark matter is even more concentrated. This causes visible matter to pile up in these regions too, forming galaxy clusters. And even though the bubbles grow larger with the expansion of space, these meeting zones will continue to be active for a very long time.

I did not know that the Cosmic Web was actually funneling ancient intergalactic gas to to these regions too. Must have been discovered since the talk on dark matter I heard a few years ago. The hyper-active star-forming galaxies he described have been a mystery for a while!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 4:39 pm

That was my understanding as well. That the latest thing was that the universe was like a bubble bath. Empty voids surrounded by the shells of matter ( groups of galaxies). And thats what those pictures behind him even look like. But not channels for matter to move between galaxies.