Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2021, 9:01 am

What do you think about Nemesis? I think it doesn't actually exist. I would say that if the Sun had a companion star we would have detected it by now. Stars don't just go hidden.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 9:29 am

There is no empirical evidence to support any claim for the existence of Nebiru/Nemesis.  The Sun is not part of a binary star system.  There has never been any evidence to suggest a stellar companion.  The idea has been disproved by several infrared sky surveys, most recently the WISE mission.  If there were a brown dwarf companion, these sensitive infrared telescopes would have detected it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 11:28 am

It's obviously hiding inside the hollow earth, lighting things up for the shape-shifting reptilian aliens and powering their advanced alien civilization. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 3:56 pm

I read a Superman comic once where Superman met people on the planet which had the same orbit as the Earth but (for some reason) was always on the opposite side of the sun from the Earth - so kind of like the side of the moon we cannot see from Earth humans could never see this "other Earth". Of course now we have sent rockets and satellites off through the solar system and we could have seen such a planet if one existed - or at least the Space Vehicle could have. I am pretty sure no such thing exists, but it makes for a good story. It is still fun to imagine.

And if anyone claims that it does exist I will chase him to the edge of the flat Earth and push him off (if we can avoid the NASA guards). (just kidding - not really).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 9:19 am

Fenn wrote:
I read a Superman comic once where Superman met people on the planet which had the same orbit as the Earth but (for some reason) was always on the opposite side of the sun from the Earth - so kind of like the side of the moon we cannot see from Earth humans could never see this "other Earth". Of course now we have sent rockets and satellites off through the solar system and we could have seen such a planet if one existed - or at least the Space Vehicle could have. I am pretty sure no such thing exists, but it makes for a good story. It is still fun to imagine.

And if anyone claims that it does exist I will chase him to the edge of the flat Earth and push him off (if we can avoid the NASA guards). (just kidding - not really).

Yes thats a fun old sci fi meme. A twin of the earth, at the same distance from the sun (and just as inhabitable as the earth), in the same orbit as Earth, but on the opposite side of the earths orbit of the sun- so we never see it from earth, because the sun is always blocking our view of it. Too bad we have had interstellar probes in the last fifty years...that woulda seen this twin earth if it were there. Oh well.

But thats in the inner solar system. There is a theory among serious scientists that there could be a nineth planet out in the outer reaches beyond pluto. It could be a gas giant, or even a brown dwarf. But it couldnt be an actual star because even a dim star would be too visible to escape detection.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 9:22 am

naturalplastic wrote:
... There is a theory among serious scientists that there could be a ninth planet out in the outer reaches beyond Pluto. It could be a gas giant, or even a brown dwarf. But it couldn't be an actual star because even a dim star would be too visible to escape detection.
Even a brown dwarf within about 7 light-years would emit too much infrared light to remain undetected by our current instruments, so it may be a "Super-Earth", an Ice-Giant (like Neptune), or a Gas Giant (like Jupiter) -- that is, if it exists at all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 5:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
... There is a theory among serious scientists that there could be a ninth planet out in the outer reaches beyond Pluto. It could be a gas giant, or even a brown dwarf. But it couldn't be an actual star because even a dim star would be too visible to escape detection.
Even a brown dwarf within about 7 light-years would emit too much infrared light to remain undetected by our current instruments, so it may be a "Super-Earth", an Ice-Giant (like Neptune), or a Gas Giant (like Jupiter) -- that is, if it exists at all.

There's a lot of debate about the orbits of planetoids way out past Neptune. The orbits are oddly elongated and seem to cluster towards one side. Three possible explanations:

1. It's nothing, just a glitch in the data. The way we search for these objects has skewed the results.

2. There's a 9th planet out there, probably 5 to 10 times the size of the Earth, and orbiting about 20 times as far from the sun as Neptune does. Its gravity is shaping the orbits of the planetoids.

3. There's a primordial black hole the size of a tennis ball out there doing the same job. Primordial black holes may or may not actually exist. If they do, they were formed in the early moments of the Universe, and can be a lot smaller than black holes made from exploding stars. They're a possible explanation for the Dark Matter problem, so finding one in our own solar system would solve two problems at once. (It should be harmless unless you go over there and stick your finger in it.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 5:45 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually GO to those "black holes"?