Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 12:05 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
I picked up two cheap ($20 each) off brand 1T memory sticks that are now basically are worthless for storage.

Ah, these are probably about 16-32Gb looped, you could try to detect real capacity and reset/low-level format these drives with flash storage diagnostic utilities. Then you would be able to use these as lower capacity, but perfectly functional drives without losing data.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 7:25 pm

firemonkey wrote:
10 mb+ files.

I am having trouble understanding this. Maybe its because I have a desktop, and you only have a smartphone. But still ... I think that you maybe mistaken - and may not need any special storage.

If you had a library of full length movies, or video games, it would make sense. But apparently you dont.

But I could be the one who is confused. So computer geeks can weigh in.

As I understand it....

A page of text is ten to 20 kilobytes. Or 10,000 bytes.

If an ancestry service sent you a ten meg file that would be 10,000,000 bytes.

So that means that each of these services sent you a 500 to a 1000 page book. Comparable to the Bible.

I doubt that they sent you files THAT big.

But even if they did send you files that big then that still doesnt go very far towards using up the 20 gigabytes you say you need. That would be 20,000,000,000 bytes. Thats the smaller American "billions" I am talking about (a thousand million), not even the bigger British usage of the word "billion" ( a million-million).

Do you have a library of 2000 books the size of the Bible in your phone?

Also ten megs ( the size of these text files you're getting) is only about equivalent to ten minutes of audio. About three pop songs on your ITunes playlist. Nothing at all compared to what most folks have on their music menu.

People often have hundreds of songs, and some vids, stored on their devices, and do so without testing the limits of their memory storage on the device. And even a small collection of audio and or video uses up a lot more memory than does a big library of text.

So if you have no music library, no video library, no downloaded games, and only have texts and PDFs (even if they are big in content for those kinds of files) it still wouldnt add up to much. You are probably using less memory than the average consumer, and not more memory.

But I could be the one who is confused. Geeks out there...correct me if I am wrong.

But I just dont see how you could use up 20 gigs, and would need outside memory storage.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 9:04 pm

firemonkey wrote:
badRobot wrote:
You can measure your connection speed with some meter like https://www.speedtest.net/

Terrible.

BT

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 9:18 pm

I have a laptop. I've used about 35% of the USB drive I have. The drive has been playing up a bit, so that's the reason I wanted cloud storage. I now have BT cloud storage. To be honest I had no idea Plusnet was so awful, but looking at the figures compared to my new BT fibre account shows they were abysmal.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 5:14 am

There's no perfect service. You have to make trade-offs between speed, user-friendliness and privacy.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 8:31 am

I acknowledge what you said about the issue of hard drives failing, but I have over 100 of them, and not one of them has ever had a problem.

CEX sell 320 gb laptop hard drives (mechanical) for £6 each these days. You could buy two of them, with one used for backup. It would be exceptionally unlikely, to say the least, that both would fail simultaneously!

I'd never entrust a single kilobyte of my stuff to one of the tech companies, by the way.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 7:54 pm

Well that was good while it lasted. Being told all files have synced when only 40% have. Can't register with BT community for advice because I keep getting

Quote:
Request Entity Too Large
The requested resource
/t5/user/loginpage.registernowform.form.form.form
does not allow request data with POST requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.