22 Nov 2021, 5:15 pm

Any good laptops for $300?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 6:58 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

what kind of laptop you want?Also do u want new or used.I would buy only used from a reputable source.What brand?What operating system?Do you want no-frills and just a basic one?I would lowball and do your best to negotiate and always let them think you could walk away at any time.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Nov 2021, 2:54 am

I prefer used post-corporate Dells - corporations use them for a year or two and then sell in quite a good condition.
For about $300 I could get a durable, lightweight machine with reasonable CPU but low-end graphics and sound.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 11:10 am

magz wrote:
I prefer used post-corporate Dells - corporations use them for a year or two and then sell in quite a good condition.
For about $300 I could get a durable, lightweight machine with reasonable CPU but low-end graphics and sound.

@magz

Dell Latitude 5480 any good?

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 11:13 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

what kind of laptop you want?Also do u want new or used.I would buy only used from a reputable source.What brand?What operating system?Do you want no-frills and just a basic one?I would lowball and do your best to negotiate and always let them think you could walk away at any time.

@Texasmoneyman300

Something like i7 or i5 with 8GB or 16GB RAM. Any suggestions for a used reputable source?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Nov 2021, 11:35 am

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
magz wrote:

@magz

That's the kind of laptops I usually aim at.
I can't suggest a store, though, as I know only Polish market for second-hand laptops.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 4:49 pm

magz wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
magz wrote:

@magz

That's the kind of laptops I usually aim at.
I can't suggest a store, though, as I know only Polish market for second-hand laptops.

@magz

Dell Latitude 5480 vs Dell Latitude E6430 ?

Would you say the 5480 is better ?

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Dec 2021, 12:33 am

magz wrote:

I agree that used corporate laptops are the way to go if you want a good quality compute in that price range. I bought mine from New Egg (https://www.newegg.com/).

Also, the Suggest a Laptop subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/) is a good place for specific advice about models. They were very helpful to me when I was deciding what to get.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 5:07 am

If you DON'T need to be able to carry it around, I would strongly recommend getting a desktop rather than a laptop. A desktop is less likely to die, due to overheating, than a laptop. Also, desktops typically cost less money per amount of computing power, memory, etc., than a similarly powerful laptop.

Personally I've had very bad luck with laptops, and much better luck with desktops.