I need to download a safe microsoft office word app

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 7:26 pm

My laptop is Windows 7 (because I need Windows 7 to be able to play my Sims games), but my laptop is lacking microsoft word, a tool I really need to write my stories. But the only way to get microsoft word is to download it online and pay for it, and I'm always suspicious with using my card online in case my account gets hacked into. It happened to my uncle the other week, when he ordered a takeout online (at a legiminate restaurant) and that night his account had thousand of pounds taken out and he had to take time off work to immediately sort it out at the bank in the morning. Luckily he got it back, but sometimes you can't.

Can anybody here suggest a reliable website I can download microsoft word?

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2022, 7:38 pm

If you have a Google account, just use Google docs. It (& most other word-like programs) can save in a Word's doc format (.doc or .docx now). Otherwise try LibreOffice, which is free. There isn't any need to pirate Word for this.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 7:40 pm

Office 365 is the microsoft website, do you have secure link to the internet by not using a public network (library)?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
If you have a Google account, just use Google docs. It (& most other word-like programs) can save in a Word's doc format (.doc or .docx now). Otherwise try LibreOffice, which is free. There isn't any need to pirate Word for this.

I don't seem to have google docs on my laptop. Also I could try the link you put.

Quote:
Office 365 is the microsoft website, do you have secure link to the internet by not using a public network (library)?

I am using it from my home wifi.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2022, 7:54 pm

Google docs is on google. If you have a google account you can go into your gmail (in a web browser on a pc) & at the top right pick google docs under the icon that looks like a table (little boxes lined up across & down). It's not a program for a pc; it's online & free.

Joe90 wrote:
I don't seem to have google docs on my laptop. Also I could try the link you put.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 10:02 am

Blue_Star wrote:

I recently found Libre Office after finding myself in a similar problem to Joe's.

A seamless transition from Word and great file formatting capabilities. :mrgreen:

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 8:01 pm

Yeah, Word is free on the 365 website, but it has limitations.

I usually just use WordPad (built into Windows), unless there are specific Word features I need for printing, like columns or tables.

I could link you to a site that has Word if you really need, but I use old versions (Word 2000 currently)...the newest version on the site is from 1997 :oops:

Edit: Oh, you could probably try Archive.org...for some reason, they've been hosting a lot of pirated software over the past few years.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:51 pm

I also like LibreOffice
https://www.libreoffice.org/

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:45 pm

Are you playing The Sims 2? I was unaware The Sims 2 is incompatible with Windows 10. Where did you get it? I tried to buy it from EA but it's delisted. I really want to play the second one again but my CDs are scratched.

How to buy Microsoft Office without getting your money scammed away. Normally I'd suggest buying it directly from the Microsoft Store except that I don't think the Microsoft Store comes with Windows 7. Also I found this.

If you want to run Microsoft Office but retain compatibility with The Sims 2 I think your only option might be to dual boot Win 7 and Win 10.

Either that or use Evernote. In some ways I find Evernote to be better than Microsoft Office because you can edit a document on one device and then immediately have those changes be visible on another device. Evernote is compatible with Windows 7. It's compatible with everything. Seriously. It even runs on my BlackBerry and nothing runs on my BlackBerry.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 1:18 am

Quote:
Are you playing The Sims 2? I was unaware The Sims 2 is incompatible with Windows 10. Where did you get it? I tried to buy it from EA but it's delisted. I really want to play the second one again but my CDs are scratched.

I have a store-bought disc and all the expansion packs are store-bought discs as well.

I used to have Windows 10 on my laptop but I got a friend to install Windows 7 back on to it. I'm no computer expert so I don't know what he did but he's a computer technician. I love being able to play the Sims 2 again.

I'm the sort of person who doesn't like upgrading much, I prefer to stick to what I know instead of learning new things. But in today's world it can be frustrating and also distressing when technology advances so quickly and becomes more complicated and obstinate. I understand new games not working on old computer software, but I think older games should be able to work on updated computer software. Just like a PlayStation 1 game works in a PlayStation 2 but not the other way around.

It's OK, I've downloaded something for free what one of the posters in this thread provided a link to, so it's all good. The only thing is, is that it seems to have every feature you could think of - except book fold style (the format of the page looking like how book pages look). I would like to see what my stories would look like if they were in a book.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 7:48 am

You can download OpenOffice from http://www.openoffice.org. It's free. It's open source. And it can read and edit .doc and .docx files as good as actual Microsoft Word. You can also create new Word files, by saving them as .docx.

Whatever you do, don't download it off of those unlicensed hacker sites. Those are malware honeypots.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2022, 7:29 am

Appears this university provides a free copy of Office 2003. I prefer this old version myself as it's lightweight and uses dropdown menus instead of the ribbon interface, being both familiar and saving screen space. With the format compatibility pack it works with the newer .docx formats and such.

https://www.kean.edu/~ocisweb/downloadf/Office-Pro_2003/

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2022, 12:22 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I prefer this old version myself as it's lightweight and uses dropdown menus instead of the ribbon interface, being both familiar and saving screen space.

I agree, I don't like the ribbons at all.
I went with Word 2000 though, because it still has the classic Windows look, rather than 2003 which has the XP theme built-in (unless there's an option to disable it somewhere).

...pretty sure 2003 is the one I legally own, though... :oops: