Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 10:41 am

As you know, I have a notorious problem for dealing with stubborn computer problems. My computer is 9 years old running Windows 8.1. I can't take it anymore. My computer wouldn't start up properly days ago and no fix I tried could make it work. I did a factory reset which got me back to logging in, but now things have gotten worse. Microsoft VC redist packages no longer install so I can't play most games nor reinstall OBS. Windows Firewall doesn't open and when I interfere, it crashes briefly. I can't download Windows Movie Maker to make a video to my viewers telling them I'm sorry, but I'm going on a hiatus yet again because of all these problems. It should be downloadable from the site, but no it wants me to use the shop app and it loads forever. That's it. I'm done. I can't work with this. I can't resume my Let's Play hobby. Why must I be limited?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 10:47 am

Have you considered downgrading to 7? It is somewhat vulnerable to security issues, but runs well enough still. My rig is 14 years old and still going strong with a few hardware upgrades here and there. Windows 8 was notoriously unstable at best.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 11:16 am

It might be worth investigating hardware issues. Try running https://www.memtest.org/ when you have some time and see if anything pops up.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 11:30 am

Mikah wrote:
It might be worth investigating hardware issues. Try running https://www.memtest.org/ when you have some time and see if anything pops up.

It couldn't be done. Failed to download Microsoft Update.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 1:05 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Mikah wrote:

It couldn't be done. Failed to download Microsoft Update.

If it's truly out of action, you can create the memtest bootable usb on another computer.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 1:27 pm

If your PC is making it through POST, it probably not a memory issue. Sometimes wiping again and re-installing will work. If you have a second PC and internet access you can download and burn a fresh copy of windows 8 and try-installing directly from a Boot/setup DVD.

eric_newbie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jun 2022, 11:05 am

Have you thought about installing a Linux OS on it instead of Windows? They've come a long way and often breathe new life into old machines.