Karl Friston, Michael Levin, and Chris Fields on T.O.E.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 8:38 pm

Curt Jaimungal hosted these three gentlemen to speak on consciousness, biology, and complex systems. From what I see they've been trying to break out of both strong/weak emergence and panpsychism and find a way to describe conscious processes that cover the different levels of iteration at which it happens. Karl Friston's well known for his discussion of Markov blankets and living (disequilibrium) systems' attempts to utilize any free energy in the environment. Michael Levin is well known for both his xenobots (biological robots made from pieces of frog embryo) as well as his findings of bioelectric template in cell differentiation such as in the creation of embryos as well as different organ structures. Chris I'm less familiar with but it sounds like he's coming from the physics direction and bringing it back to biology from there.

Overall great discussion to be a fly on the wall for:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin