Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 11:39 am

Erewhon wrote:
Five years ago was in the city of Domburg. Just behind the dunes i came across a butterfly that was rare for me. In terms of color and shape it reminded me of a kite, a yellow mini kite. In a way it was a mini kite, luckily for this mini kite he/she was not tied to a rope, as there were many trapped a few dozen meters on the beach. The photo below is of that encounter with the butterfly in question.

This is Ourapteryx sambucaria (The Swallow-Tailed Moth). Not a butterfly, but in the Lepidoptera order :) Gorgeous find!

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:55 am

Flown wrote:

This is Ourapteryx sambucaria (The Swallow-Tailed Moth). Not a butterfly, but in the Lepidoptera order :) Gorgeous find!

Thanks for the explanation Flown. :)

I just saw that on page 1 of this thread, PhosphorusDecree also posted a picture of this yellow animal with the announcement that it is a moth and not a butterfly.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 11:01 am

Monarchs were flying through on their migration.There seems to be more of them than in previous years.They were all over the zinnia and lantanna.Plant more flowers!!

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 8:04 am

It was a "kick" at work yesterday. I have been leaf blowing with colleagues, and during that leaf blowing I get help every year from blackbirds and robins who hop after me like a Pied Piper from Hamelin to eat the insects released from the leaves. At one point a colleague was blowing leaves at a wooded bank, and a day peacock suddenly emerged from its presumed hibernation. Quickly have a mobile phone at the ready to capture it via photo and film. Normally butterflies don't get on your finger quickly, but yesterday's day peacock eye didn't care. It may also be that she was not fully conscious due to being awakened from her hibernation. It could also be that she liked to feel the warmth of my finger in the cool weather. After about 15 minutes I thought it was enough. Finally, with a little tap on her buttocks, she took to the water. Have a good night's sleep, wish you a nice hibernation. Hopefully see you in the spring.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 3:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
My lysDexic friend refers to them as "Flutterbys".