Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 3:46 pm

Came across an interesting video about How Imaginary Numbers Were Invented, plus some rather astonishing info about what life was like for mathematicians in Renaissance Italy.

Also, some video commentary on the above video by a physicist: Physicist reviews Veritasium - How the Imaginary numbers were invented.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 6:37 am

If you can pick up a book called "Asimov on Numbers" it has a great story about Imaginary Numbers and several other republished non-fiction magazine articles about math that are instructive and fun to read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/418 ... on_Numbers

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 9:12 am

For a relatively easy-to-understand brief intro to calculus:

Calculus made easy, the Mathologer way :), Jul 16, 2022.

Note: It is assumed that you are familiar with algebra and trigonometry, and that you know what logarithms are.

The "Mathologer" channel has lots of relatively easy-to-understand intros to lots of advanced mathematical concepts.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2022, 8:37 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Some YouTube channels containing highly intuitive, visually-oriented introductions to various college-level and advanced math concepts:

- Mathologer
- 3Blue1Brown (see also his website Animated math)

3Blue1Brown is GREAT

Also standupmaths for some little things is okay. Derivando (is in Spanish) is another good resource, but none is anywhere as advanced as 3Blue1Brown

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 6:45 am

For basic gradeschool math, I just now came across the following website that claims to have a novel way of teaching it: Thnkster.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 9:08 pm

I just now ran across Combo Class and Combo Class Bonus -- a pair of YouTube channels explaining various math and science topics. Includes a bunch of shorts as well as full-length videos.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 10:14 pm

Leaning Scientists Podcasts
Episode 2 is better than Episode 1.

In Episode 1 we learn one of these two learning Scientists is Russian, and who's accent sounds like what Black Widow perhaps should have sounded like. In Episode 2 we get into the nitty gritty.

Episode 1 - Learning Scientists - Welcome to Leaning Scientists Podcast
https://www.learningscientists.org/lear ... ts-podcast

Episode 2 - Learning Scientists - Retrieval Practice (and how to get the most out of Flash Cards)
https://www.learningscientists.org/lear ... l-practice

Leaning Scientists Podcasts - on Apple Podcasts
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1279414575

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 3:32 am

For gradeschool-level math and science, though 8th grade: GenerationGenius.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 5:34 am

Mostly college level math, plus some physics and some computer science and technology: Eddie Woo (YouTube channel).

(Thanks to naturalplastic for mentioning one of his videos here.)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 2:42 am

For kids: Math Monkey: "... aims at instilling love for learning math in a fun and challenging environment. Designed for children aged 3-14, our classes help children to excel, build up confidence and strengthen their ability in logic, reasoning, and critical thinking skills. We also train children on their logic and problem solving skills....."

jcutter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2023, 10:28 am

Algebra workbooks from Dummies are ok, but not that good. You dont get always the full explanation, wrong answers in the book, sometimes you need a new book to understand what is in the workbook... I never ever go again for a dutch writer. But if you want to learn math (algebra, calculus, geomety, etc.) then you must buy a workbook. You learn math to practize. To solve mathmatical problems.

lm8
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2023, 11:57 am

Check for OER (open education resources). You'll find several related to math. You can try the OER search engines at Merlot or Oasis. The SPARC Libraries and OER forum may also be useful. I've been working on some of the code for Tuxmath and I think it can be a fun way to brush up on some math skills for some users. You can also check archive.org (digital online library) or a Creative Commons search engine for resources.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2023, 9:20 pm

The Map of Mathematics, on the "Domain of Science" YouTube channel.

Brief overview of all the branches of math and what they are.

lm8
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jul 2023, 3:16 pm

Was surprised to find out that the actress Danica McKellar wrote a series of math books to help people learn more about math. Internet Archive (online library) has some of her books, so you can check them out from there.

You can also check OER (Open Education Resources). Merlot and Oasis are two OER search engines that can help find materials.

theorema
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2023, 1:47 am

it depends on which branches of maths you're interested in. I find brilliant an amazing app to try out the different math branches, see which ones resonate with you and the way they explain things is really well done. for example: I read Euclid's proof of the infinitude of prime numbers maybe 20 times in a book and I just couldn't wrap my head around. Brilliant just let me do the math myself and then asked if that means there are infinitely many prime numbers and I was like: Oh my god, yes, it does! of course :)

for advanced maths I can recommend the following books which I am happy to send as pdf's to whomever is interested:

Sheldon Adler: Linear Algebra done right. (2015)
Lewinter, M.: Elementary Number Theory with Programming. 2ed. (2008)
Crawford, M.: Introduction into Number Theory. (2008)
Borden, B. & Luscombe, J.: Mathematical Methods in Physics,Engineering, and Chemistry. (2020)
McMullen, C.: Essential Calculus Skills. Practice Workbook with Full Solutions. (2018)
Tao, T. Analysis II. 4th ed. (2023)
Chartrand, G. et al.: Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics. (2018).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2023, 2:36 am

I miss HoH

:(