Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 2:27 pm

I have a huge anxiety about electrical objects just catching fire for no apparent reason. We have a secondhand PS2 in the living-room that we often use to watch DVDs on. My boyfriend got some DVDs for Christmas that aren't my cup of tea so I was thinking of putting one on for him before I go to bed so he can stay up and watch. But I know he'll forget to turn off the PS2 (or at least forget how to) or he'll most likely fall asleep by the end, and I'm so worried the PS2 might suddenly decide to catch fire if left on too long unattended.

Will this happen? Or am I overthinking this? I don't think a PS2 has the technology where it can just turn off by itself after a time. I tried asking Google but as usual it doesn't give me very useful results.

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 3:59 pm

I am not an expert but I'd say probably not. If something is going to explode, it'll probably do so when power is applied and not after. Having said that, arcing wires, lithium-ion batteries and some appliances like heaters can create a fire hazard. Also, I don't know about the PS2 but like you said some devices go into sleep or hibernation after a while which would only draw very little power. Even if the PS2 didn't have that feature, it's probably not drawing that much power. So basically, anything that has power could pose a risk but it's probably fine if it doesn't immediately die when turned on.

I wouldn't worry about it.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 4:27 pm

I plug in appliances for hours and often leave them like that. I've not had anything happen to me to date. :wink:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 11:11 am

No, there is no fire risk in this device.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 7:34 pm

There shouldn't be a risk. Make sure you've got working smoke alarms though.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

offa1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2023, 12:34 pm

Lol.. :twisted:

Your microwave and toaster are more of a threat than your ps2 will ever be.

Playstation consoles are equipped with (loud) fans and shut off when overheated.

My advice is that you get a surge protected extension cord to plug it into, sort of ease your fear, eh?

Besides, if it did catch on fire, you could sue and be riiiich.

:D

SuspiciousPotato
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Feb 2023, 7:12 pm

So generally with stuff that old there's no thermal management so things can just overheat. Can it overheat and end it's service life? Yes. can it overheat and catch fire? Not likely. Having said that, computers catch on fire all the time, particularly power supplies and video cards.

But no it's not likely to catch fire. If you want to protect your PS2 though given how old it is and that it's likely never been cleaned I'd take it to someone who services consoles and have them disassemble and clean it. This is especially critical in dusty or smokey environments (like if someone smokes in the house). After 20+ years the PS2 is going to be very dirty inside.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 7:59 pm

I heard of modern TVs and laptops randomly combusting.

I'd rather die in a house fire than to survive and lose all my (irreplaceable) valuables.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 6:12 pm

Nearly anything is possible, but that doesn't make it likely to happen.

I've been in a house fire (my neighbor in an adjoining apartment was smoking and using Oxygen) and 4 units burned to the ground. Everyone made it out safely, including pets, but I did lose every material thing I owned except the clothes I was wearing. You'd be surprised how little material things actually matter after that. Even things you think are irreplaceable.