TECH concerns, pet peeves, whys & why nots of TECH etc. etc.

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2023, 7:10 pm

Typical instructions for a Chinese-made product:

A Caixing Tech Writer wrote:
Caixing CXDZTL-868
1.Function:
(1)Time,date,week and temperature;
(2)Calendar search of 50 years;
(3)12 and 24-hour mode search,shows AM and PM under 12-hour mode;
(4)Time memory function:The user does not need to reset the time after the time after the power is reconnested;
(5)Hour notice function:(excluding 22::00-6:00);
(6)Eight groups of alarm time;
(7)Automatic temperature measurement,ranging between-9~50°C.
(8)Automatic light adjustment,half dimming from 22:00 to next day 7:00;
2 Operation:
(1 ) Butting:
SET SHIFT MODIFY ALARM END RESET
(2)Setting of time and date:
1 Under normal situation.press SET to begin the setting of date and time,and you will see the hour and minute displays showing the year with flash at the same time:
2 Press MODIFY to change year (if you don't want to change the flashing number.do not press MODIFY,the followings steps are in the same way): press flash on month display,and then change the month by press MODIFY; press SHIFT to move the flash on day display,and then change the day by pressing MODIFY.During the process of setting,the week
follows the date changing automatically;
3 Press SHIFT again,the date disappears and the hour flashes.then change the hour by pressing MODIFY; press SHIFT to more the flash on minute display.and then change the minute by pressing MODIFY;
4 Press SET again to resume the normal strution.
(3)12 and 24-hour mode,under normal situation,press MODIFY for 3 second to switch between 12 and 24-hour mode.
(4)Hour notice setting:
Under normal situation,press MODIFY to open or close the hour notice function,and you will see the indicator on or off,
(5)Setting of alarm:
1 Under normal situation,press ALARM to view the set alarm time,the alarm indicator light is bright.When you see "A1" shown on the temperature display position,it means what you see on time display is the first group of alarm time.If the time display shows"-:--"it maeans this group of alarm time is not yet been set,the alarm time is workable when it shows the time,press MODIFY to switch between workable and unworkable;
2 Press ALARM to modify alarm.change the hour by pressing MODIFY while the hour display flashing,then press SHIFT.the minute by the same way;
3 Press ALARM to check the second groud of alarm time,the way of setting is same to the first group.USE the same method to finish the settting of the third to eight
groups,After browsing or setting all groups of alarm time.press ALARM to back the normal situation.If all these eight groups of alarm time are unworkable.the alarm indicator light will be off.
3 Belling mode:
(1)While connecting to the power,the clock starts to bell and then play a piece of music;
(2)Hour notice: Hour notice indicator light is on,when this function is workable.it will bell and play a piece of music at every o'clock from 7:00 to 21:00;
(3)Alarm:The clock bells in time everyday.the sound of the bell is "dong dong dong".
It lasts one minute.
4 Other instruction:
(1)Under any settling situation.it there are no operations within 30 seconds.it will back the normal situation automatically.
(2)Any setting situation.press End to back the under normal situation;
(3)While belling.press any button to stop and then set the relevant function.
(4)Under especial situation .when LED is confusion or do not show.use the toothpick to press RESET to reset the time.
Made in china

Does anyone else have a similar example?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:53 pm

Something as (seemingly) simple as the process of creating an online photo-album (on digital photo-album APPs) can be a confusing process!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:53 pm

With Artifical Intelligence (AI) in the news lately, anybody feel that AI apps might address some of the concerns in this discussion-thread (a thread with 30 plus posts as of this writing)?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 6:05 pm

One supposed technical advancement I detest is those automated robot assistants that are replacing humans for online customer service. They just don't work. All you get is an irrelevent copy-and-paste of something or other that's supposed to be based on a few keywords from what you told the robot. Even when you tell the robot that you want to talk to a human / expert, all you get is "first, please give me the third and fourth character of your date of birth".....(followed by about 4 more hoop-jumping questions). Seems designed to stop people getting to talk to humans.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 6:15 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
One supposed technical advancement I detest is those automated robot assistants that are replacing humans for online customer service. They just don't work.

That brings to mind last month with a kit to do at home a medical test which previously required going in.

Got phone call from what I'm going to label an AI.
Strike one.

Imitation female voice had sound quality approaching nails on chalkboard.
Strike two.

Voice moved through the processes faster than I could keep up with.
Strike three.

Since it was AI/robot, there was no human to whom to say, "Wait a minute, slow down, what was that again?"
Strike four.

They did it again a couple days later.
Strike five.

And once more a couple days after that.
Strike six.

I'm done with them. The test is still in its shipping box with unbroken packing tape.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 1:34 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
One supposed technical advancement I detest is those automated robot assistants that are replacing humans for online customer service. They just don't work. All you get is an irrelevent copy-and-paste of something or other that's supposed to be based on a few keywords from what you told the robot. Even when you tell the robot that you want to talk to a human / expert, all you get is "first, please give me the third and fourth character of your date of birth".....(followed by about 4 more hoop-jumping questions). Seems designed to stop people getting to talk to humans.

..to say nothing of the pathetic 'chatbots' who are replacing customer service agents on the telephone. What a bloody insult to people's intelligence. Many aspects of the quality of life are regressing in the 21st Century, make no mistake about it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 4:01 am

There is no dedicated broadcast weather service or emergency broadcast system in the Philippines.  They rely heavily on the mobile phone system and the Internet to get the word out.

In a power failure, home Internet service will fail immediately, and mobile service will fail in 17 to 43 hours, depending on usage.

The Philippines has become so enamored of its mobile phones that they have become dependent on them for just about every aspect of daily living.

This dependency could be disastrous.  There is a typhoon that just struck Guam, and may be headed our way next.  Within a week, I fully expect the Philippine government to be begging for disaster relief aid.

And that is too bad.  I like it here, and I want my family, friends, and neighbors to do well.  A nation-wide disaster would be . . . well . . . disastrous!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
There is no dedicated broadcast weather service or emergency broadcast system in the Philippines.  They rely heavily on the mobile phone system and the Internet to get the word out.

In a power failure, home Internet service will fail immediately, and mobile service will fail in 17 to 43 hours, depending on usage.

The Philippines has become so enamored of its mobile phones that they have become dependent on them for just about every aspect of daily living.

This dependency could be disastrous.  There is a typhoon that just struck Guam, and may be headed our way next.  Within a week, I fully expect the Philippine government to be begging for disaster relief aid.

And that is too bad.  I like it here, and I want my family, friends, and neighbors to do well.  A nation-wide disaster would be . . . well . . . disastrous!

AM radio is experiencing a renewed interest as a fallback for emergency information.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 4:19 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
With Artifical Intelligence (AI) in the news lately, anybody feel that AI apps might address some of the concerns in this discussion-thread (a thread with 30 plus posts as of this writing)?

RELATED: The WP discussion thread in this Science/TECH WP forum, 'Artifical Intelligence - Troubleshooting TECH Problems' features a story on how AI TECH might be helpful in troubleshooting those pesky computer problems.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 5:32 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Fnord wrote:

AM radio is experiencing a renewed interest as a fallback for emergency information.
In California, perhaps.  KNZ 1070 was my go-to station for freeway traffic and weather reports.

Here in the Philippines, no such luck, even though Wikipedia lists DZRM 1278 ("RP3 Alert") as the radio station for emergency and disaster preparedness and information dissemination.  I have it tuned in on two different radios, and there is nothing but static.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 4:25 pm

Accidentally clicking-on, or pressing the wrong controls, or buttons yields difficult to resolve problems.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 4:02 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Accidentally clicking-on, or pressing the wrong controls, or buttons yields difficult to resolve problems.

Irritation over TECH.-related probems might present diffculties in putting given TECH-probems...to words - that is putting TECH. issues to words on TECH. forums in order to supposedly resolve TECH. issues might end-up as yet enother irritating "hit and miss" process!