Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2006, 4:35 am

I just want to know what others think about opensource applications and what ones they think are good but not heard of by most people. I think Firefox is the most famous open source application but there are many others

My list

Gimp -- A program thats like Paint Shop Pro and is debatably as good as Paint Shop Pro

OpenShift -- Is a free MMORPG game that looks good to me. I want to try it one day. If you want to check this one out for your self to see there really is a good looking free MMORPG for your self here is the link http://www.planeshift.it/main_01.html

Gaim -- Instant messinger that can be used for every thing irc, msn, yahoo, icq, aol etc

FrozenBubble -- Just a kinda fun game well done. Nothin impressive good for a few hours fun bouncing the differen't colored bubbles around.

Abiword -- Good free program like Word

OpenOffice -- Just like Microsoft Office

Theres just some examples of good open source applications out there. I just hate people spending money when they don't have to.

Theres no nasty hidden surprises like Spyware or any thing. If you are parnoided enough you can check the source code your self and compile the programs your self to make sure theres not spyware. Because its OpenSource as in you can download the source code if you want. How ever you can't trust big companys as much. Who knows what they bundle secretly in with there programs. Windows XP comes out of the box with 4 spyware applications built in.

Last edited by MindOfOrderedChaos on 09 Jan 2006, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2006, 4:38 am

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
Gaim -- Instant messinger that can be used for every thing irc, msn, yahoo, icq, aol etc

Does Gaim support voice chat and webcam like the conventional Instant Messenger programs do?

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2006, 4:40 am

Um no not yet. Voice and video surport is some thing the Gaim team is working on at the moment. It might come out in version 2.0 but its not avaliable yet. :(

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2006, 4:46 pm

Drizzleman showed me GIMP and I am impressed and obsessed...

Think I'll try GAIM next...

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2006, 9:22 pm

This websites a gold mine for open source stuff

http://sourceforge.net/index.php

pemdasi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2006, 7:01 am

also, http://freshmeat.net

When it comes to OSS that I use on an almost daily basis the list would have to be Pan (NNTP reader), XMMS or MPG123 (mp3 players), Firefox (duh), Audacity (sound editor), Gimp, emacs (everything AND the kitchen sink), python (for random things that need automation or just messing around)...

Not so daily basis:

Blender (3d modeling, animation, rendering)
Povray (^- only in a interpreted language)
csound (algorthmic audio generation)

For fun:

open-civ (Civilization clone)
slashem (netHack derivative)
mahjong, sokoban (included in the kde-games package I believe)[url][/url]

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2006, 7:01 am

Definately GIMP, but I like my offbeat programs, which is why my favorite Open Source program is...

IPODLINUX! I love iPod Linux, and the plain fact that I can watch the Family Guy movie on my iPod nano is freakin' sweet.

Oh, that and Valve's "Hammer" dev platform, because it's so versatile even though it depends on Steam... and it's responsible for the ultimate escape, Gerry's Mod.