Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 5:04 pm

I have a netbook (Acer) running Win XP and am trying to set up a dual boot with Ubuntu Netbook remix. I was able to get up and running running it off a flash drive, but when I went to install it on the hard drive, I ran into a problem. I used the test for errors on the drive option first and got a notice that an error was found. I haven't had any problems running it from the flash drive. Does that mean I can install it without problems?

I have been able to access the web via wifi hot spot. I was hoping to use bluetooth for the web via my Mac mini (dial up) and a bluetooth adaptor. Is this possible. I don't want to use XP for the web to avoid malware.

Thank you so much!

By the way, if anyone needs help with Palm PDAs I know a lot about them.

Sparx139
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2009, 2:49 am

Quote:
I used the test for errors on the drive option first and got a notice that an error was found.

We can't help you unless you tell us what the error is. Is there any chance that you could copy it?

Also, a bit of detail about the laptop would be nice. Could you please provide:

the model number (e.g. XC4472. It should be either plastered on the top, or on one of the stickers on the bottom. If you have a bunch on the bottom, just give us them all)

>Hardware list - load up ubuntu on the flash drive, go into terminal and enter the command "lspci" (without quotes). Copy the information it gives you into a text file, and post it here.

Quote:
Does that mean I can install it without problems?

Theoretically, yes. It means that your hardware seems to be at least partially compatible. We should be able to work around whatever the issue is, so long as you provide us with more information.

EDIT:

I just saw this. Sorry, but I think it's a bit funny
Quote:

Quote:
when I went to install it on the hard drive, I ran into a problem

You sort of answered yourself :p

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 5:03 pm

While standing on one foot, preferably...;)

hope you get the problem fixed. I have many questions...but I found there's an Ubuntu forum out there, so don't forget to stop by there as well...

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:45 am

Sparx139 wrote:
Quote:
I used the test for errors on the drive option first and got a notice that an error was found.

We can't help you unless you tell us what the error is. Is there any chance that you could copy it?

Also, a bit of detail about the laptop would be nice. Could you please provide:

the model number (e.g. XC4472. It should be either plastered on the top, or on one of the stickers on the bottom. If you have a bunch on the bottom, just give us them all)

>Hardware list - load up ubuntu on the flash drive, go into terminal and enter the command "lspci" (without quotes). Copy the information it gives you into a text file, and post it here.

Quote:

Theoretically, yes. It means that your hardware seems to be at least partially compatible. We should be able to work around whatever the issue is, so long as you provide us with more information.

EDIT:

I just saw this. Sorry, but I think it's a bit funny
Quote:

Quote:
when I went to install it on the hard drive, I ran into a problem

You sort of answered yourself :p

Thanks for responding everyone! Sorry for the late response. My access to the web is intermittent. The problem arose from this screen:http://images.howtoforge.com/images/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu_9.04/big/2.png

The messages I got when I chose "Check disc" follows:

"Checking integrity. This may take some time.

Check finished: errors found in 1 files!

Press any key to reboot your system."

I am using an Acer Aspire One model AOA 150-1635 running Win XP. I was hoping to be able to dual boot.

I tried to do what you said about the Terminal command, but got the error message:

"Command not found." What is the first letter in "?spci" It isn't a capital I, or 1 or the character that you get when you type a shifted slash (backslash?) since I tried all 3 and got the same error message. As you can see I am a complete Linux noob.

If I instead ran Linux within Windows, would I still get the security (freedom from malware) benefits?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:44 pm

Rocky wrote:
"Command not found." What is the first letter in "?spci" It isn't a capital I, or 1 or the character that you get when you type a shifted slash (backslash?) since I tried all 3 and got the same error message. As you can see I am a complete Linux noob.
Quote:

It is an L the command stands for list pci.

Quote:
If I instead ran Linux within Windows, would I still get the security (freedom from malware) benefits?

In virtual box or the like? Your computer would be exposed to harm.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 12:51 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Quote:

It is an L the command stands for list pci.

Quote:

In virtual box or the like? Your computer would be exposed to harm.

Thanks, Fuzzy. Here is the copy and paste from the Gnome Terminal:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
04:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller
04:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Standard SD Host Controller
04:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. MS Host Controller
04:00.4 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. xD Host Controller
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 1:59 am

Too much Intel for my liking. I wouldn't expect it to play any of the latest games with the spec under Windows or Wine

kip
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 4:10 am

Keith wrote:
Too much Intel for my liking. I wouldn't expect it to play any of the latest games with the spec under Windows or Wine

Its a netbook. You caint play games on an iPhone either. :P

OP, try just installing. You'll never get past that error just staring at it... it could just be something simple like the way windows wrote itself to the HD. Obviously backup any pics and such first, but with an error as vague as 'Error in one file' there's not much I could tell you.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 5:11 pm

kip wrote:
Keith wrote:

OP, try just installing. You'll never get past that error just staring at it... it could just be something simple like the way windows wrote itself to the HD. Obviously backup any pics and such first, but with an error as vague as 'Error in one file' there's not much I could tell you.

Thanks kip. I will do that as soon as I back up WinXP. It is a new computer, so I don't have anything else to back up. I still have to research how to set up a dual boot. Thanks for the input Keith, but I don't do any gaming beyond basic puzzle games any more. I'll just use it for the web, e-book reading, and basic productivity. What I love about it is the portability (vs. laptops and desktops). It's light enough to hold in my hand like a book! I have been using PDA's like the Palm TX and the bigger screen and keyboard of the netbook is a step up. I will be working on getting the quickest boot up time possible on the netbook as I am spoiled with instant on with the PDA's.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 5:17 pm

kip wrote:
Keith wrote:

I am sure you know this but I want to point out to other readers that one can play games on an iPhone (and PDA's) but not advanced ones. It is easy for non technical (especiallly AS) readers to take things too literally.

cornboy3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2009, 9:06 am

Or you could do it the easy way Ubuntu has left for us :)

1. Get a fresh and uncorrupted copy of Ubuntu NR
2. Boot up XP
3. Plug in the flash drive
4. Wait for the autorun or click the drive in My Computer
5. Click "Install Ubuntu as an application"
6. Once the process is complete, reboot your computer
7. Be happy because you just evaded XP vs. GRUB hell

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 6:59 pm

cornboy3 wrote:

2. Boot up XP

Thanks for the suggestions. The main reason I wanted Linux is to avoid malware while on the web. I was told earlier in this thread that running Linux within XP would not give the security benefits of Linux.

Could you be more specific about the XP vs GRUB hell problems. Could you tell me how to minimize them while still getting the security benefits of Linux? I might end up going all Linux if the problem you mention is bad enough.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 8:17 am

You might have to fiddle with gPart and splice the hard drive in 2 partitions depending on how much space you want.

I would just install linux 1st with a 140GB Partition and let the remaining 20 go to a XP install afterwards. Literally redoing the entire drive.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 12:23 pm

Rocky wrote:
cornboy3 wrote:

2. Boot up XP

Thanks for the suggestions. The main reason I wanted Linux is to avoid malware while on the web. I was told earlier in this thread that running Linux within XP would not give the security benefits of Linux.

My apologies. There are several ways to run Ubuntu linux.

You can dual boot, which for most people doesnt cause grub hell. Ubuntu 9.10(in two months) will feature grub 2 anyway, which will abrogate a lot of that nonsense. Full benefit of linux.
You can install within windows, which makes ubuntu install inside a windows file, but runs from a simplified boot manager. Slightly reduced performance, full security. This is the way that cornboy suggested.
You can run Ubuntu(or any linux) in a virtual box. Essentially it runs like a parasite making use of windows services. Badly reduced performance, poor security.

Quote:
Could you be more specific about the XP vs GRUB hell problems. Could you tell me how to minimize them while still getting the security benefits of Linux? I might end up going all Linux if the problem you mention is bad enough.

Most grub problems are from multi-booting more that 2 operating systems. Some of the other linuxes use other boot managers. Likewise, apple computers have a slightly convoluted boot process. If you install windows first, then linux, and nothing else, you shouldnt have any problems with grub.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 1:35 am

Thanks again everyone for the valuable advice. I will post what happened in case anyone is interested. The process could take a while, since my free time is limited.