Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

05 Aug 2009, 7:00 am

My council is giving me a "personal budget" for my needs.

They suggested an organiser so I wouldn't forget appointments and reminders to do things when I'm out of the house, and other things, such as being able to email people when I'm not at home. I also have a lot of trouble on the phone vocally, and I have poor auditory memory, i.e. I struggle to remember anything I'm verbally told, but if it's typed or written down, I can - so being able to note things down when I'm at a doctor's appointment, or at the Job Centre, or even setting a time to meet a friend without having to bring a pen and a pad with me constantly would be fantastic. It would be easier for me to run my life, at least on a social/formal level from one thing, and not have to repeat information on various pieces of technology or on a board I can forget to look at.

So I am asking for help on choosing a PDA/Smartphone. I don't want a contract (and don't think I can get one with my credit rating, at least during these times of recession when companies are being more stringent on these things), and I'm happy with keeping my number I've had for 6 years, and so it would have to be unlocked or on O2. So, from what I've said, what do you think I need? Do I need something like a Blackberry? Or could I cope with something like an LG Cookie?

Research away! One more thing.. I'm in the UK, so things such as the Palm Pre, as sexy as it looks, will not be over here until Christmas *weeps*

Meta
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2009, 8:02 am

I'm thinking of getting an iPhone for almost the same reason.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 9:10 am

Personally I would get a separate PDA and phone, but that's just me. I’m generally not a fan of modular design. It is moving much more towards smart phones, unfortunately. I rather have a cheap phone contract good for texting and the odd call. PDA wise I have a dell axim x51. its ok I think some may prefer HPs.

PDA don't solve executive dysfunction, you still have remember to use them

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 9:20 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Personally I would get a separate PDA and phone, but that's just me. I’m generally not a fan of modular design. It is moving much more towards smart phones, unfortunately. I rather have a cheap phone contract good for texting and the odd call. PDA wise I have a dell axim x51. its ok I think some may prefer HPs.

PDA don't solve executive dysfunction, you still have remember to use them

I can't carry round a phone AND a PDA around with me all the time.. and if I record things I need to remember immediately after being told them, I can forget but the PDA wont. And I can make alarms to remind me to put things on my board each day, and eat, and take tablets on time. So yes, I'd still have ED, but it will be alleviated a little bit.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 9:25 am

Get a blackberry then. Generally you are better off with a really keypad, it is quicker to type.

Meta
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2009, 9:36 am

I wish apple would make a iPhone without the Phone... but with wireless internet everywhere (not WiFi)...

I really hate having to pay for 300 minutes of voice when I only use it if there is no other way (no email, no sms, no whatever).

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2009, 1:36 pm

I had a Psion palmtop - picked it up fairly soon after I was diagnosed.
I'm not sure if it's easier with converged devices (like the Blackberry or iPhone), but I didn't like it. Partly it was one more thing to look after, partly there was a lot of fiddling to do anything. These days, unless I'm either out for leisure or just doing something simple (like going shopping, when I always have a list), I tend to have my diary and a notepad on my person - just because it's simpler for me.

I know that's not what you want to do, and having a single device has to be simpler and easier. Good luck in finding a solution that works for you. :)

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 2:21 pm

Meta wrote:
I wish apple would make a iPhone without the Phone... but with wireless internet everywhere (not WiFi)...

I really hate having to pay for 300 minutes of voice when I only use it if there is no other way (no email, no sms, no whatever).

Apple makes the iPod Touch, which is in many ways the iPhone without the phone. It has WiFi access capability, and comes in three possible storage configurations. You can download software to it through iTunes, said software available at the iTunes store at whatever the maker is charging.

To LadyMacbeth, I've had Dell, HP, and Palm handhelds over the past ten years, and all have worked reasonably well. I preferred to Palm for various reasons. Given your situation, a Blackberry may be the best choice, though I don't know what the service plans and options in the UK are, so I could well be wrong.

ddunkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2009, 4:15 am

I'm really into the IPod Touch right now (have been since I got it in March). I've become heavily reliant on these devices to help keep me on track as my job usually involves a dozen month-long projects that get difficult to track and manage. I keep my phone in my right pocket, my IPod in my left (my shorts have a little 'phone' pouch that fits it perfectly), and never have an issue carrying both around, as long I have the right style of pants on.

The best thing for me is it ties into my Exchange server, so I get calendar reminders (sync'd from whatever device I used to enter them in on) popping up over my music. People used to have to walk back to my office to grab me for appointments when I was plowing away working in my own world. This is the most 'portable' aspect of what I use. With the appropriate microphone accessory, you can record voice memos as well.

That is about as far as I can get on a PDA. The small keyboards are just too frustrating for me to get any regular use out of for long periods of time (without getting pain in my hands/wrists). I have to keep these separated just for battery/charging purposes (when my LG phone can last 7-10 days, over 2 hours of heavy app use on the IPod).

For handling tasks from meetings, I have a Thinkpad X61t tablet which is my 'brain dump' device. I can jot down drawings, type meeting notes, process flow, record voice memos, and even send tasks right into Outlook, then check them off and have them sync'd up for what I completed in the next meeting. I'm pretty much glued to it all of the time, if I don't have it, I resort to the IPod for small tasks. I used to have a lot of graph paper notebooks, those are dead, I couldn't manage the amount of notes I take in those anymore.

I don't think a single device is always the solution. If I had to get my way, I'd have to build my own device for my purposes, there is no device that does everything for everybody. I'd even recommend trying Google Voice to leave yourself voicemails and have the notes auto-transcribed (it is about 80% accurate, but that isn't bad at all).

sqoouf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2009, 11:22 am

There's quite a few Blackberrys now in the UK on pay as you go, so you won't be locked into a contract.
I have yet to buy one though... I spent all my money on a new laptop, and my Sony Ericsson G502 (on three) does reminders and notes and emails too, with loads of extras, so that does the job for me.
My dad(NT) has one, and he find's it really useful, except for when it goes off in the middle of a meeting just to tell him that "You've won a holiday!", although to my knowledge the blackberry storm has a spam filter.
Taking a look at the LG cookie, it seems to have most of the features of a blackberry, so it's really a matter of personal choice. (Or which one looks nicer, which was what I usually buy my phones on)

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:41 am

O2 XDA is your answer, you can get nearly new ones off ebay for cheap, it's what I did, though mine is only related to an older model of XDA through it's innards

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 10:57 pm

since I use one, here's my "review" of the iPhone and iPod Touch:
* Lots of alarms - each alarm can have different sound and also can repeat on any chosen days.
* calendar - more advanced alarms for events (like "alert me 1 day before and 15 min. before event"). List view lets you easily see all the upcoming events.
* Notes app, others can be installed (I use Simplenote), and can be emailed.
* Evernote, to sync texts between it and your computer (also available for Blackberries)
* the usual: browser, email, videos, music
* lots of apps to choose from, and even games to help you with AS! --> link
I'm on my second month using a budget planner app btw

Before you buy, try some of the ones mentioned in the thread and stick with the one that works for you.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 10:23 pm

computerlove wrote:
since I use one, here's my "review" of the iPhone and iPod Touch:
* Lots of alarms - each alarm can have different sound and also can repeat on any chosen days.
* calendar - more advanced alarms for events (like "alert me 1 day before and 15 min. before event"). List view lets you easily see all the upcoming events.
* Notes app, others can be installed (I use Simplenote), and can be emailed.
* Evernote, to sync texts between it and your computer (also available for Blackberries)
* the usual: browser, email, videos, music
* lots of apps to choose from, and even games to help you with AS! --> link
I'm on my second month using a budget planner app btw

Before you buy, try some of the ones mentioned in the thread and stick with the one that works for you.

I have been looking around, and it seems that, while a lot have certain features, the iPhone does it all. I will have to swallow my contempt for Apple :lol: and get one. It'll still be a while yet before I can afford it, but unless something REALLY funky comes out before the new year, this is going to be the way to go for me. The GPS navigation was the crucial selling point for me.