Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 5:16 pm

This little thing is great, checking email, browsing, chatting, and on top of that, lots of apps, great device. Fuzzy will be happy with one of these, to be able to see pr0n everywhere on it :lol:

what stuff do you have on it/recommend?

Me:
Evernote - a must - for storing info. Syncs with the computer. Free
Wordpress - for blogging. Free
Stanza - great for reading books. Free
WSJ - to read the Wall Street Journal. Free too.
Discover - to transfer files. Free

games, etc:
Troika - like Set. Free
Eliss - nice visual game
Brushes - drawing app
Japanese - Spoken japanese phrases and hiragana - for my upcoming trip (: Image

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jun 2009, 6:30 pm

I have Cooliris and Skype on my iPhone...Skype only works when the phone is in WiFi mode...
And recently I updated the software to 3.0. I am going to wait a bit before replacing my iPhone
3G with the iPhone 3G-S.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 6:32 pm

computerlove wrote:
This little thing is great, checking email, browsing, chatting, and on top of that, lots of apps, great device. Fuzzy will be happy with one of these, to be able to see pr0n everywhere on it :lol:

You cast the worst aspirations upon my character! I admire that in a friend! :)

So you are going to Japan to satisfy your fetish for used panties purchased from vending machines, huh? Maybe if you have some spare time you can do some regular tourist activities.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 1:30 am

Skype, duh, forgot about it, thx (:
I never found Cooliris useful, mayybe I'll give it a try.

Fuzzy: of course! all the exotic japanese fetishes they have, and buy all kind of weird stuff from the vending machines, like squid candy. Meet some girls with funny costumes and karaoke all night long, get drunk and spend the night at those cute tiny police stations they have in there. You know, a fully inmersive trip *wink*
Have you gone there?

BTW installed Bejeweled, that thing is like crack.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 2:54 am

I have last.fm so I can listen to last.fm anywhere within my home network, and Skyspace, which I use at work to check drug information.

Most applications I've seen on the App Store are terrible. I have no idea how the 'top' charts are created, they seem to change quickly and are almost always full of junk.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 4:12 pm

computerlove wrote:

I'm writing a programming book about those sorts of games.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 6:13 pm

Just noticed that the WSJ app doesn't need to be online to show the news! When it connects it gets the latest news, so if you go offline, you can still read them.
*Thumbs up*

Fuzzy wrote:
computerlove wrote:

I'm writing a programming book about those sorts of games.

Cool, what more can you tell us about it

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 6:26 pm

I have only one thing to add to this thread:

Boycott Skype.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 6:59 pm

^ :scratch:?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 5:12 am

Orwell wrote:
I have only one thing to add to this thread:

Boycott Skype.

I've never understood your antipathy towards Skype. While I can't say I like it being proprietary, I've yet to find anything open source that compares with it.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 11:53 am

lau wrote:
I've never understood your antipathy towards Skype. While I can't say I like it being proprietary, I've yet to find anything open source that compares with it.

It's not an issue of it being proprietary- I use and like some proprietary programs, such as Opera. But Skype is evil. They've been caught aiding the Chinese government in spying on dissidents. Also, Skype will use your internet connection to route other people's calls through. Add to that the complete lack of security.

And you're right, the open source replacements for Skype are not nearly ready yet.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 3:55 pm

Orwell wrote:
lau wrote:

It's not an issue of it being proprietary- I use and like some proprietary programs, such as Opera. But Skype is evil.
?

Orwell wrote:
They've been caught aiding the Chinese government in spying on dissidents.
I'd like some sort of proof.

Orwell wrote:
Also, Skype will use your internet connection to route other people's calls through.
Yes. I make a point of understanding any software I use. This is part of their functionality, as stated from day one (which I missed by a short span). It is also how it manages to store my contacts, etc.

Orwell wrote:
Add to that the complete lack of security.
What security are you talking about? And as compared to what? And why should I care? (I don't like "security".)

Orwell wrote:
And you're right, the open source replacements for Skype are not nearly ready yet.
A pity. I was rather hoping you would suddenly come out with a perfect replacement.

I also have used Pidgin, but the plugin that connects that to Skype is (was?) flaky. In fact, I've given up using it, for the present,. because it really isn't very user friendly (yet?).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 4:38 pm

lau wrote:
Orwell wrote:
They've been caught aiding the Chinese government in spying on dissidents.
I'd like some sort of proof.

I'll try and dig up some links. There was a BBC article on it a while back.

Lau wrote:
Orwell wrote:
A pity. I was rather hoping you would suddenly come out with a perfect replacement.

I also have used Pidgin, but the plugin that connects that to Skype is (was?) flaky. In fact, I've given up using it, for the present,. because it really isn't very user friendly (yet?).

There are a few alternative VoIP programs (Ekiga is included in Ubuntu) but most of them are still in pre-1.0 stages, not available cross-platform, or too technically difficult to set up to be viable replacements for Skype. Plus, Skype already pretty much dominates the video chat market, making it hard to try using anything else when Skype uses a closed protocol that isn't interoperable with any open standards.

For Mac users, the included iChat program is definitely superior to Skype, but since Apple also seems to use a closed protocol, this will only work to talk to other Mac users (at least, I have not found a way for iChat video chat to work with a different client in Windows or Linux). Ekiga is fine for Linux calls (I think it's bundled in the GNOME desktop) but of no use if you want to talk to a Mac or Windows user. There are a few freeware programs that are sorta cross-platform, but none of them are mature yet.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 12:14 am

Kolonists
fine Settlers of Cattan clone, crashes like Fuzzy's computer (A LOT), but still a damn good port.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 9:35 pm

Robot Master
from Reiner Knizia, very simple but very addicting!

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 10:41 pm

computerlove, when is your trip to Japan?

My book is on how to create a bejeweled type game. It would let the average person create one... just to say they did!

The pdf will be free and a printed version will be only the cost of materials. I have an agenda that everyone should know a little programming, everyone should have free software. Everyone should have some rough idea of how things work.

And people should learn.

Learn not to cross computerlove, because he is a implacable foe! He will show you nooo mercy!