Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 10:24 am

I'll start:
1) No, dinosaurs did not evolve into frogs.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 2:47 pm

Classic Jurassic mistakes topic

2) T-Rex did not live during the Jurassic epoch. (Perhaps the word "Jurassic" sounded catchier than Triassic, Cretaceous and the like.)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Llama874
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Dec 2009, 3:18 pm

3) There is no evidence that dilophosaurus had a frill or spit poison, and they were much larger than depicted in the movie.

Even though Jurassic Park has many errors, I still love the series.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 3:18 pm

On one scene where the two kids are in the car the T rex smashes the glass on the roof, then it's cut to the kids holding up the glass roof, and it's no longer smashed.

06 Dec 2009, 4:13 pm

Dinosaurs did not live 25 million years ago
How was there food all of a sudden in the dining room after the power was turned on?
Lex's mouth isn't moving when she says "sorry" when the t rex is trying to eat them from the car

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 6:57 pm

Can't get intact DNA from amber-encased insects from the Mesozoic era...
Can't use such "fictional DNA" to grow a dinosaur...
Can't expect a dinosaur to survive in the modern biosphere...

For the practical issues involved in potentially creating a "modern dinosaur", check out Jack Horner's book "How to Build a Dinosaur".

My favorite mistake:
When the T-rex attacks the car in the first movie, the scene starts with the ground level on both sides of the fence being the same. But that ground disappears when the T-rex pushes the car over the concrete barrier, and the car falls around 50 feet into the trees below.

Another mistake:
Lex recognizes the OS on the park computers as UNIX, which it most certainly is not.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 9:11 pm

sartresue wrote:

2) T-Rex did not live during the Jurassic epoch. (Perhaps the word "Jurassic" sounded catchier than Triassic, Cretaceous and the like.)

Thats precisely why they called it Jurassic Park. Was mentioned in a scene where they first arrived on the Isle and see the Brachiosaur (sp?). Ellie says, ". . . some of these species have been extinct since the Cretaceous era."

Mistake: given new discoveries, quite a few of the predatory dinos had feathers (granted, a puffy Velociraptor might have been comical).

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 9:26 pm

If you have an incomplete DNA sequence from an extinct species, you can't just splice in a sequence from an almost totally unrelated species and expect the embryo to mature. And in the extremely unlikely case it did so, you would not get something that looked and acted exactly like the extinct species, except for one useful trait that you spliced in - if you did combine the DNA from a velociraptor and a frog, if it grew at all, it would wind up as some sort of bizarre hybrid, not as a healthy velociraptor with the ability to change gender at need...

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 2:28 am

Well, I seem to remember Dr. Who having an episode about 'the Silurian Epoch' which was set at a much later date...;)

And actually, I thought Dinosaurs evolved into chicken...;)

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 11:06 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
If you have an incomplete DNA sequence from an extinct species, you can't just splice in a sequence from an almost totally unrelated species and expect the embryo to mature. And in the extremely unlikely case it did so, you would not get something that looked and acted exactly like the extinct species, except for one useful trait that you spliced in - if you did combine the DNA from a velociraptor and a frog, if it grew at all, it would wind up as some sort of bizarre hybrid, not as a healthy velociraptor with the ability to change gender at need...

"Remember, genes are NOT blueprints!" :wink:

The year is still young.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 1:46 pm

sartresue wrote:

Do they say that the T-Rex had lived in the jurassic? Jurassic is just the name of the attraction, which was made to have dinosaurs from all eras. Of course it's logical that the attraction got a "catchy" name. :wink:

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 1:59 am

Velociraptors were far too large.

'An ideal of total self-sufficiency. That secret smile may be the Buddha's but it is monstrous seen on a baby's face. To conquer craving is indeed to conquer pain, but humanity goes with it. That my autistic daughter wanted nothing was worst of all.' Park

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 4:32 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
I'll start:

Frogs and dinosaurs have a common ancestor, thought.

ruveyn

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 5:03 am

sartresue wrote:

Never underestimate the ability of a marketing department to ignore the engineering and science teams' notes.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 4:56 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
I'll start:

Frogs and dinosaurs have a common ancestor, thought.

ruveyn

So do corn and humans, if you go back far enough. Doesn't mean you could repair a broken human DNA strand with some corn DNA, though...