do you have a degree in computers/programming etc?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

alana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 3:52 pm

or, do you work with computers while having a degree in something else? do you think your degree has served you well or if you had it to do over again would you get a degree in something else if you could go back? Is it possible to get a decent job with just a 2 year degree in computers or do you need a bachelors, or more...

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 4:11 pm

instead of regular high school, went to a technical school, got my certifications and [swearword removed by lau]. too bad I still dont get hired because its not a "college Degree". College is pointless if your going to just learn [same swearword removed by lau] you already know. The whole system just needs to be redone.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2010, 4:26 pm

I will probably go to college - But I plan on owning a Book Store someday.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 4:49 pm

Warning to all who read here - DO NOT JUST GET A BA IN MATHEMATICS!! ! It is a useless degree! I have one, and I cannot do anything with it. If you're going to pursue mathematics, at least get an MA or MS. Then, you could become a statistician, teach at a junior college, work in entry level math jobs, or even become an actuary (contrary to the current belief that you only need an BA degree...to compete against those that have BAs in math and are going into the actuarial field, you should get an MA or MS). To teach K-12th grades, you need an Math Education degree and to be certified. So, I am not saying that one shouldn't learn math; I am saying that if you are going to learn mathematics, you need at least an MA or MS degree to work these days.

As for this individual who has a useless degree, I am following my own advice - in a few years, I will be ready to go to graduate school. :-)

DilbertIRL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2010, 7:18 pm

I have a Diploma in Software Engineering which in the UK is equivalent to the first 2 years of a degree. It was easy and allowed me to get a reasonable job, but now I regret not doing a physics degree, as I find physics far more interesting. I'm now stuck in an engineering job that I really don't enjoy that much. I would love to quit and pursue my interest, but giving up a job that pays well isn't easy even if your bored with it.

So my advice is to really think hard about what your interested in before committing to a degree. Computers may be fun now but are you sure you want to spend many years working with them and not pursuing another interest?

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:04 pm

DilbertIRL wrote:
I have a Diploma in Software Engineering which in the UK is equivalent to the first 2 years of a degree. It was easy and allowed me to get a reasonable job, but now I regret not doing a physics degree, as I find physics far more interesting. I'm now stuck in an engineering job that I really don't enjoy that much. I would love to quit and pursue my interest, but giving up a job that pays well isn't easy even if your bored with it.

So my advice is to really think hard about what your interested in before committing to a degree. Computers may be fun now but are you sure you want to spend many years working with them and not pursuing another interest?

well what choice would you have if your other interests involve stuff that you cant really get a job involving it, just making a point.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:05 pm

I'm currently working for a degree in Computer Science.

As far as I know (having done research on my major for my College Success course), any kind of computer related degree (Computer Science, sofware/hardware engineering, systems, etc.) will pay off in the long run. We are becoming increasingly dependent on computers and software for everything, so any computer-related degree is almost guaranteed a place in the work force. (I say "almost" becuase our economy in the US is still unpredictable, but the chances of scoring a computer-related job are still good becuase they are so abundant nowadays.)

However, try to steer clear of tech support jobs, they require immense patience and people skills, something that most Aspies aren't that good at even if they are good with computers. You can still make it work, but it would more of a chore than work should be.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 10:43 pm

I have a BS in Computer Science from Virginia Tech. Developing software is my favorite job, so yeah, the degree was well worth it and I would do it again.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 12:34 am

I have an AAS in Computer Programming, but I do tech support...;)

alana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 3:38 pm

Dhp wrote:
Warning to all who read here - DO NOT JUST GET A BA IN MATHEMATICS!! ! It is a useless degree! I have one, and I cannot do anything with it. If you're going to pursue mathematics, at least get an MA or MS. Then, you could become a statistician, teach at a junior college, work in entry level math jobs, or even become an actuary (contrary to the current belief that you only need an BA degree...to compete against those that have BAs in math and are going into the actuarial field, you should get an MA or MS). To teach K-12th grades, you need an Math Education degree and to be certified. So, I am not saying that one shouldn't learn math; I am saying that if you are going to learn mathematics, you need at least an MA or MS degree to work these days.

As for this individual who has a useless degree, I am following my own advice - in a few years, I will be ready to go to graduate school. :-)

I hear you, I think a BA or BS in any field is a risk anymore, it seems to take a master's degree to get a good job most of the time.

AspiInLV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2010, 1:54 pm

When my computer breaks down it is useful, I have not been employed since 2002. Tech Support has the advantage of not having to read the body language of your clients. The disadvantage is that if you have a monotone voice that will annoy the callers. Also you will take longer to fix problems, so you can expect to get fired relatively quickly. I should have majored in chemistry.