Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

solinoure
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2010, 1:55 pm

So, I have been a Firefox user since last spring and it seems to me that Firefox only gets worse with each new version.
Some pages load just fine, but a lot of others just fail. I am constantly getting the "timed out" message. And, what is most annoying, is that from time to time Firefox will "decide" it wants all my processor time and will ramp up to take any and all of it running at 80 to 90 of total capacity - all while becoming locked up and unusable.
I heard that Chrome keeps a copy of your surf trail back on their servers and that seems a bit big-brother-ish, but my dad was having the same issues I am with Firefox and switched to Chrome. His web experience is now quite sweet.
Anyone notice the same issues with Firefox?
Anything to dish on Chrome?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 3:04 pm

I have not noticed such problems with Firefox, but if you are concerned about privacy issues in Chrome, try out SrWare Iron. It's basically a recompiled version of Chrome that respects your privacy and has a built in adblocker.

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2010, 3:32 pm

i liked ff on pc, but the 3.5 wouldn't even run on my mac. it forced a complete OS reinstall, twice. then i tried out maybe 12 other browsers: meh.

safari: i liked ok till it updated and took away tabs, plus i don't like the no-favicon thing on bkmk bar.

anyway, i'd been using (and loving) chrome on pc since it came out. i started using dev build on mac about last june. it's been awesome: many, many ff extensions have been ported to it, it can also run userscripts.org extensions. it's fast, syncs my bookmarks automatically to my google bookmarks, it quickly imported stuff i chose from safari when i first installed it, and i discover new features all the time. it's the best browser i've ever used, and i i said, i've used many.

for privacy, just use "chromium," the original opensource browser that chrome's based on. here's what wikipedia says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser) and/or just go to its own site. it talks in detail about privacy.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 2:47 pm

I scoured a while to fix the annoying "tab issue" that Internet Explorer 7+ uses. Instead of opening at the end. That's the only thing I hated about the 3.6 Beta release. Got it sorted though.
Chrome just doesn't sit right with me

Kalikimaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2010, 4:02 pm

Firefox was slowing me down, so I'm actually on my first day of trying Chrome, after more or less annoying results from IE8 and Opera. When I read that each tab is a different process and only the open one has priority, I had to wonder why Mozilla never took care of Firefox's chronic memory hogging.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 4:52 pm

solinoure wrote:
I heard that Chrome keeps a copy of your surf trail back on their servers and that seems a bit big-brother-ish

A bit big-brother-ish? It sounds tantamount to spyware to me! If that's the case I'm not touching Chrome with a barge-pole.

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2010, 9:26 pm

i've read that the chromium browser (opensource, from which chrome is developed) is better if one likes chrome but wants privacy.

Bing
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Feb 2010, 4:49 pm

Chrome is good, but Firefox, for various reasons, is my primary browser.

http://www.hikiculture.prophpbb.com