Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Feb 2010, 5:29 pm

Bill In UK May Disallow Public Wi-Fi

Quote:
Good luck sorting this one out, short-sighted lawmakers. An upcoming piece of major legislation in the UK, called the Digital Economy Bill, would essentially force all public wi-fi points offline by requiring impossibly high levels of copyright protection by libraries and small businesses. The bill, which bears some similarity to the controversial DMCA here in the US, is ostensibly aimed at providing copyright holders the means of controlling their content online.

But while an ISP may detect a violation by one of its subscribers and send a nastygram to the appropriate party, it’s difficult to do that when your “subscriber” is a pub or café that offers free wi-fi to customers. If someone buys a cup of coffee, downloads a few songs, and then leaves and never returns, who is at fault? According to the Digital Economy Bill, the café.......

As happens on one side of The Pond so goes the other.....

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 5:51 pm

I see a flaw in their devious scheme: I blatantly infringe copyright quite often, but *my* ISP has never send me anything on the matter. If I can't use wireless internet at a café that's a shame, but it doesn't in any impede my downloading of copyrighted material in any way. It seems to me that one should put tighter regulation on ISPs first if you want to solve "piracy"...

kip
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 6:50 pm

Michael_Stuart wrote:
I see a flaw in their devious scheme: I blatantly infringe copyright quite often, but *my* ISP has never send me anything on the matter. If I can't use wireless internet at a café that's a shame, but it doesn't in any impede my downloading of copyrighted material in any way. It seems to me that one should put tighter regulation on ISPs first if you want to solve "piracy"...

Mine goes after the most incredibly inane things. Wanna learn Japanese? BAM! Letter. Spend three days downloading tonnes of new movies and XBox games? Nothing. Nada. So the moral of this story is... when in Nevada, don't try to learn a foreign language for free.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 10:34 pm

They can legislate whatever they want. It has only a tenuous connection to what is actually going to happen.

drybones
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2010, 7:50 am

Michael_Stuart wrote:
*my* ISP has never send me anything on the matter. If I can't use wireless internet at a café that's a shame, but it doesn't in any impede my downloading of copyrighted material in any way. It seems to me that one should put tighter regulation on ISPs first if you want to solve "piracy"...

its OK, they got that covered.... they want to "force" ISPs to monitor customers traffic and report copyright infringements.

oh and they want to take control over the UK domain name space too

:roll:

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 3:14 pm

As I said, it won't last long if it actually gets passed. All ISPs in the UK will be forced to shut down operations since compliance with the law would become impractical at any price.

drybones
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2010, 5:04 am

Yes, I agree its unlikely to get passed. Hehe can you imagine a state run ISP?