9001+ 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 44

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 May 2010, 6:34 am

danieltaiwan wrote:
I would recommend Linux/GNU.
Best OS. My personal favorite distro is Debian or Xubuntu.
Vista is not really that good.
It's going to be forgotten and left behind like Windows ME.

Would recommend selling your computer and getting a new one or upgrading it to Windows 7 or converting to Linux.

The best OS from Microsoft is probably XP 64 Bit with custom add-ons. Such as Google Desktop and Custom Taskbars.

Right, and directx 11, and native windows program support, right? Also why buy another new computer when my 1st post explicitly mentions that it is a brand new computer?

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 4:27 pm

Basperger wrote:
justMax wrote:
I can't make it automatically resize the resolution on my account to 1280x1024, and revert to 1024x768 for the people with bad eyes who also use the comp, so it sucks hard.

I know the computer used to do that, but I can't figure out how to make this one do it, until that is figured out, it is an unqualified failure for me.

Windows uses one resolution for all user accounts, the only way to use custom resolutions per user is by drivers from your graphic card or third party software.

I suspect we had a multi-resolution program from the time we got the other comp, it was an old Fed Ex Windows XP box from gf's dads office.

Worked fine, and I didn't have to deal with them getting antsy because I put the resolution up too high.

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 May 2010, 4:36 pm

justMax wrote:
Basperger wrote:
justMax wrote:
I can't make it automatically resize the resolution on my account to 1280x1024, and revert to 1024x768 for the people with bad eyes who also use the comp, so it sucks hard.

I know the computer used to do that, but I can't figure out how to make this one do it, until that is figured out, it is an unqualified failure for me.

Windows uses one resolution for all user accounts, the only way to use custom resolutions per user is by drivers from your graphic card or third party software.

I suspect we had a multi-resolution program from the time we got the other comp, it was an old Fed Ex Windows XP box from gf's dads office.

Worked fine, and I didn't have to deal with them getting antsy because I put the resolution up too high.

You can try MultiRes: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/multires.shtm

I don't know for sure (website information is poor at best), but it might support different resolutions for multiple user accounts.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 7:06 pm

There is nothing wrong with Windows Vista. I have been using it for two years and it runs just fine. Unless you are doing some really high powered s**t on your system that 99.9999% of computer users never do because they do not know how to, the operating system makes absolutely no difference. Why do you think that people did not see the point in "upgrading" from Windows XP? Windows 7 is actually Windows Vista but with a different name and minus some annoying kinks which Microsoft got rid of in Vista through updates. It tells you how irrational people are that they have gone gaga over Windows 7 and continue to revile Windows Vista.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2010, 4:57 pm

Since Windows 7 is not a free operating system, I gave it: 1.

MarijnR
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2010, 6:50 pm

7 does seem to be more stable compared to Vista in my experience, it is also faster on somewhat slower pc's. I gave it a 7.
I must admit I'm partial to Mac OS, but Windows is definitely improving.

Asponaut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2010, 10:35 pm

An 8, after having used it for about a year (yes, I had some beta versions as well). I've been using every version from 3.11 on, and Win 7 finally seems to have the decent kind of (hardware) resource control that makes it ruin fluidly on a recent system. Heck, I even installed it on a Pentium III laptop with 512 MB and it still ran decently enough, just without sound (no driver for that). :P

If you have Vista, ditch it and install 7! If you run Win 98(SE), considering installing Win 2000 (it's XP without all those bells and whistles, I still use that on rather modern systems). No major hardware upgrades would be required, perhaps a stick of RAM that you can find in the bargain bin called Ebay.

So, Win 7: finally something living up to all the hype!

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 6:02 pm

justMax wrote:

Use UI scaling, not different resolutions.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 May 2010, 2:26 am

Does anyone recommend Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?
What's the driver support like?
What about app support?
Any 64-bit games?

The former things have passed away."

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 3:29 am

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
justMax wrote:

Use UI scaling, not different resolutions.

Still can't get the screen space I prefer in a resolution they can read.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 6:38 am

kxmode wrote:
Does anyone recommend Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?
What's the driver support like?
What about app support?
Any 64-bit games?

Tough call.

64-bit is the way to go...sooner or later everyone will be that way. 32-bit has only hung about because it's so dominant in the market, but CPUs have been 64-bit for quite a few years now.

Games...I'd like to think all newer games for the PC will install and run on 64-bit OS platforms. However, older games might not. IIRC, both video and sound cards are configured to work properly under both 32 and 64-bit platforms. The demand for 64-bit should have consistent support across most products (as compared to when 64-bit OS was new).

The only real down side to 32-bit is that your system won't register over 4 GB of RAM and certain 64-bit applications will not run, but you could live with 32-bit.

Anyone have better insights?

Personally, I made my newest PC dual-boot with Win XP SP3 (32-bit) on one HDD and Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit) on another HDD.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 8:20 am

The reason 64-bit Windows didn't catch on initially, and is still a minority, is that it was incomplete. The issue wasn't so much that 32-bit was "dominant" as that the drivers weren't all there and not enough time was spent on QA with the 64-bit version. I wouldn't even install release candidates of 64-bit Windows 7 because it was still more buggy than the 32-bit versions, but it sounds like things are now coming together.

There should be no problem running 32-bit apps on the 64-bit OS.

You shouldn't need to keep your XP partition around.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 2:53 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

Only if the 32-bit programs don't need any driver. And a lot of times they are used for purpose other than interfacing with hardwares. Some examples are copy protections, and anti-cheating mechanisms of some games.

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 May 2010, 3:22 pm

Windows 7 emulates a Windows XP SP2 virtual machine for 32 bit applications, that is why the compatibility and stability is better than Windows Vista.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 7:11 am

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

You shouldn't need to keep your XP partition around.

You would think so, but I'm keeping it anyway. I've come across older applications that won't install under Win7 because of the 64-bit OS. I managed to use the Virtual Machine XP environment to install and run that program, but I know games would not work effectively if they are not 64-bit compatible.

In 5 years or so, I'd be amazed if a 32-bit OS would be needed for anything.

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2010, 8:12 am

Quote:
i am a stick in the mud who continues to run w98se due to the fact that my puter is way too old to be upgraded and i am too poor to get a new puter, and also my software would cost a fortune to upgrade to 64 bit so it would run on w7.

I would suggest you switch to linux. 98 is ancient now 12 years old 8O
You can use Xubuntu and that can run on a Pentium 3 only needs 128 MB ram. Great OS

Here is the site http://www.xubuntu.org/