Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Llixgrjb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2010, 6:59 pm

In few other areas of study do so many disciplines intersect than in the study of mummies! They've taught me so much about history, biology, medicine, archaeology, anthropology, forensic science, the social sciences... They look really cool too!

A taste. Here's something I posted on YouTube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpnBU8UGehc[/youtube]

Anybody else share the same fascination or care to share any obscure mummy facts?

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 7:07 pm

When I lived in Chicago, I used to go to the Field Museum regularly (one day a week is free admission) and they have a pretty cool Egypt room with some of the technology of the day and several real mummies, under glass.

I always felt a little wrong a voyeuristic looking at those mummies. It felt somehow inappropriate and even a little obscene for all of us to go gawk at the corpses. I don't feel the same way when a trained scientist studies them. It's kind of like how I feel just fine about an M.E. doing an autopsy but I would feel wrong about even just going to the morgue and opening the drawers to have a look for any reason other than being brought in by the police to officially identify the body. There's just something in me that feels a dead body ought to be a private thing and not for strangers to stare at. And this is even though I don't believe the person who lived in that body has anything to do with it anymore. I guess it's just a deeply ingrained social taboo for me.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 2:08 pm

I like mummies for the following reasons:

1. They're ancient.
2. They're dead.
3. They're ugly.
4. They're really fuçking creepy.

All things I like. :thumright: