Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 1:20 pm

High Anxieties - Mathematics of Chaos a documentary by David Malone, made for BBC4.

http://www.mytvblog.org/?p=2163

I absolutely love his documentaries, also related Dangerous Knowledge

:thumright:

Last edited by Booyakasha on 28 Sep 2010, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 3:02 pm

Anyone interested in a real treatment of this branch of mathematics should start off with Steve Strogatz's book, "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos."

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 3:09 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
High Anxieties - Mathematics of Chaos a documentary by David Malone, made for BBC4.

http://www.mytvblog.org/?p=2163

I absolutely love his documentaries, also related Dangerous Knowledge

:thumright:

I like topics in mathematics. This looks like an interesting documentary but I don't have time to watch all of it now.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 3:25 pm

Booyakasha wrote:

Is there any particular reason that you started off with part 6?

Is the doc put up on youtube in a non-linear format that you have to figure out?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 4:29 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:

Is there any particular reason that you started off with part 6?

Is the doc put up on youtube in a non-linear format that you have to figure out?

Ah, damn my bad. I was watching the part 6 at the time I posted it and must have screwed up the links.

I fixed the link in the first post, thanks. :thumright:

mathemagician
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Oct 2010, 7:40 pm

Orwell wrote:
Anyone interested in a real treatment of this branch of mathematics should start off with Steve Strogatz's book, "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos."

thanks, I might get this book

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 8:38 pm

mathemagician wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Be sure you have a basic background in ordinary differential equations and linear algebra before trying to read it. It is an excellent book, but the subject matter prevents it from really being written accessibly enough for a popular audience.

mathemagician
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Oct 2010, 10:44 pm

Orwell wrote:
mathemagician wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Be sure you have a basic background in ordinary differential equations and linear algebra before trying to read it. It is an excellent book, but the subject matter prevents it from really being written accessibly enough for a popular audience.

k

I know quite a bit about Linear Algebra, I also have an intro to diff equations next semester. I was gonna learn the stuff before hand anyway, this gives me more motivation.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 7:55 pm

Clearly mathematics are liberals. :wink:

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 8:37 pm

Tollorin wrote:

I don't think I understand the joke.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 10:14 pm

Orwell wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

I mean that chaos mathematicians being rather against the "free market" (In is currnet form at least.), and worrying of global warming; which is rather liberal...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 10:45 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

I mean that chaos mathematicians being rather against the "free market" (In is currnet form at least.), and worrying of global warming; which is rather liberal...

I don't know where you get those ideas. Nonlinear dynamics (or "chaos theory" if you want to sell a newspaper story) tells us that it is hard to predict the economy, but it does not give us any prescription for how we should organize it. Likewise, it tells us that it is hard to predict the weather, but nothing about long-term climate change.

It is quite likely that a large number of people working in nonlinear dynamics are liberals, simply because highly educated individuals and especially academics tend to be politically liberal, but that doesn't make mathematics as a field liberal, unless you agree with Steven Colbert that reality has a liberal bias.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:38 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

Ah! That's the context! Before, I was ridiculously confused that I was given a documentary on chaos theory and told that this debunked Milton Friedman. I still would want an argument for this kind of belief.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:50 pm

Tollorin wrote:

False generalization. All it takes to disprove it is a single counterexample.

ruveyn

number5
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 12:54 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

Well, I can't speak for economics, but meteorologists and climatologists study chaos quite a bit. Almost every equation used in modeling is non-linear. I would say about 95% or more of the meteorlogists/climatologists that I've encountered are indeed liberal. Stephen's right, reality does have a liberal bias. :wink:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 6:51 pm

number5 wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

Well, I can't speak for economics, but meteorologists and climatologists study chaos quite a bit. Almost every equation used in modeling is non-linear. I would say about 95% or more of the meteorlogists/climatologists that I've encountered are indeed liberal. Stephen's right, reality does have a liberal bias. :wink:

What does linearity or non-linearity have to do with politics?

ruveyn