Lots of computer geeks here, any science geeks around?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 12:16 am

I like science. :D

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 6:52 pm

I have been trying to think of a way to do this without putting any extra demands on anyone. I thought like a college journal club, someone could put forth something that interests them and provide some links to background. Then we could discuss it the following week. I am not sure if that would generate any interest, especially if the topics get esoteric.

I think we would be better off having some sort of in-depth discussion and criticism group of Hot News in science, especially autism-related research, that could discuss big events as they happen. That way we could help educate others and ourselves. It seems like a lot of autism research just isn't good science, and people without background might be easily manipulated by results saying something is fact that isn't necessarily true. We could provide a service to the community without delving too far into the politicization of autism. I think we would be less likely to exclude people that love science, but wouldn't want to contribute due to a lack of expertise. What do you think?

I also think ruveyn should start a mathematical discussion. I think if you provided a question that was more real world and asked people to solve it, it could be a lot of fun. Stuff like probabilities and the old "story problems" of a train leaving a station could be a good brain teaser for people.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 7:11 pm

Inventor wrote:
I have my doubts about the Skeptics. They seem to be playing debunker.

Someone should do that job.

ruveyn

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 3:10 pm

Physics geek here.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:08 pm

I suck at math, but physical science like chemistry and physics fascinate me. I also dabbled in biology.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:11 pm

Hmmm, I have a MSc in biotechnology and PhD in genetics so I think I might qualify.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 9:44 am

Orwell wrote:
[
OK, start a discussion and see where it goes.

I will open with the Collatz Conjecture. Why do you suppose it is harder to deal with than Fermat's Last (so-called) Theorem which was finally put to rest by Wiles back in 1993.

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 12:56 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Orwell wrote:
[

I will open with the Collatz Conjecture. Why do you suppose it is harder to deal with than Fermat's Last (so-called) Theorem which was finally put to rest by Wiles back in 1993.

ruveyn

Because there isn't a very clear way to begin the problem. What tools do you use to systematically analyze the general case of the Collatz Conjecture?

And actually, I highly doubt the Collatz Conjecture is harder than Fermat's Last Theorem. FLT was a much better-known open question and attracted the attention of far more top mathematicians than the Collatz Conjecture, which isn't much more than a curiosity. FLT was also around for hundreds of years before it was resolved; Collatz Conjecture was only proposed in the 1930s. Give it some time.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 4:15 pm

Orwell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Orwell wrote:
[

ruveyn

Because there isn't a very clear way to begin the problem. What tools do you use to systematically analyze the general case of the Collatz Conjecture?

And actually, I highly doubt the Collatz Conjecture is harder than Fermat's Last Theorem. FLT was a much better-known open question and attracted the attention of far more top mathematicians than the Collatz Conjecture, which isn't much more than a curiosity. FLT was also around for hundreds of years before it was resolved; Collatz Conjecture was only proposed in the 1930s. Give it some time.

Paul Erdos said of the Collatz Problem: Mathematics is not yet ready for such problems.

ruveyn

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Nov 2010, 5:47 am

Science was one of my preferred subjects at school,mainly astronomy and astrophysics is the one I stand out with.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 12:18 pm

sluice wrote:
Anyone interested in starting a serious scientific discussion thread either about autism or science in general? It can be either hard science or science policy. I am open to suggestions if anyone has an interest.

Sure.
Go for it.

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Dec 2010, 7:48 pm

I've really been into computers Physics, Biological Physics, and Chemistry. I wouldn't call myself a geek though. Just an idiot.

Chris11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2010, 10:35 pm

I'm a math geek. I absolutlly love the subject. My faviorite area of it is Abstract Algebra

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 4:06 am

Chris11 wrote:
I'm a math geek. I absolutlly love the subject. My faviorite area of it is Abstract Algebra

Then you should enjoy hypercomplex numbers and Clifford Algebras.

ruveyn

AwesomeUsername
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2010, 7:03 am

I am crazy about Astronomy. I am also very interested in the prospect of high-speed travel (approaching the speed of light, and what happens to space/time relative to something moving that quickly).

Here is a new exciting find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJXSSYyIVqw

Gliese-581 seems to be another Earthlike Planet, but about three times as big! Apparently they lost it, but it was detected! Isn't that amazing?

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 3:04 am

I'm into experimenting with Sodium metal and am closing in on a chemistry problem I am working on.