Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

PaleBlueDotty
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Nov 2010, 5:57 am

Read this first - link: Maslow's Pyramid Revamped
http://www.csom.umn.edu/assets/144040.pdf linkposting didn't work, sorry.

"The bottom four levels of the new pyramid are highly compatible with Maslow’s, but big changes are at the top. Perhaps the most controversial modification is that self-actualization no longer appears on the pyramid at all.

At the top of the new pyramid are three evolutionarily critical motives that Maslow overlooked – mate acquisition, mate retention and parenting.

The researchers state in the article that while self-actualization is interesting and important, it isn’t an evolutionarily fundamental need.

Instead, many of the activities that Maslow labeled as self-actualizing (artistic creativity, for example) reflect more biologically basic drives to gain status, which in turn serves the goal of attracting mates.

“Among human aspirations that are most biologically fundamental are those that ultimately facilitate reproduction of our genes in our children’s children,” Kenrick explained. “For that reason, parenting is paramount.”

The researchers are not saying that artists or poets are consciously thinking about increasing their reproductive success when they feel the inspiration to paint or write.

“Reproductive goals are ultimate causes,” Kenrick added, “like the desire of birds to migrate because it helps them survive and reproduce. But at a proximate (or immediate psychological) level, the bird migrates because its brain registers that the length of day is changing. In our minds, we humans create simply because it feels good to us; we’re not aware of its ultimate function.”

“You could argue that a peacock’s display is as beautiful as anything any human artist has ever produced,” Kenrick said.

“Yet it has a clear biological function – to attract a mate. We suspect that self actualization is also simply an expression of the more evolutionarily fundamental need to reproduce.”

But, Kenrick adds, for humans reproduction is not just about sex and producing children. It’s also about raising those children to the age at which they can reproduce as well. Consequently, parenting sits atop the revamped pyramid."

My first reaction was, this explains the odd feeling i always get when thinking about the threads of Aspies looking for a partner - should we not be "emotionally self-sufficient" by definition? why do we feel the need to attach ourselves, if we have the alternative of "self-realization" (through our special interests)?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 6:53 am

Rubbish, how is parenting a "fundamental need"? Do you need to be a parent to live? :roll:

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 8:42 am

That they have gone ahead with actually recognising the new hierarchy of human needs now, is bad news a slap in the face to Aspies (excepting the alpha types who can get partners without too much difficulty), especially when Maslow's Hierarchy is so universal. The old pyramid was fine, as you can self actualise in any way possible, not just parenting which personally, I will feel more than adequately self actualised if I don't do.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 8:54 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Rubbish, how is parenting a "fundamental need"? Do you need to be a parent to live? :roll:

Seconded.

What about people who want to "be all that they can be" without being a parent? Bringing up children is important to many but there are also those for whom making and bringing up children is not their ultimate or central goal.

ruveyn

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2010, 10:27 am

1. This was very interesting to read and think about. Thanks very much.
2. Behaviorists believe that reductionism is a virtue, so it not surprising that they would wish to completely remove the aspirational quality of Maslow's original work. Remember BF Skinner's popular book was called Beyond Freedom and Dignity. These writers can publish their work as Beyond Self-Actualization.
3. Maslow's hierarchy is from the point of view of the individual-- the highest accomplishment is the expression of self. The new one is from the point of view of society-- the highest accomplishment is parenting.
4. Maslow's hierarchy is less NT-centric and less hetero-centric, so I like it better.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 10:50 am

I find it sickening and shameful they piggyback on the name of Maslow's Pyramid to revise it with something completely different.

I think they do have A pyramid but it has to do with the opposit side of what Maslow's pyramid is about - Maslow is about Self, the new pyramid is about Group/Society.

Cheerfully,
Wallourdes

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 11:48 am

Vector wrote:
2. Behaviorists believe that reductionism is a virtue, so it not surprising that they would wish to completely remove the aspirational quality of Maslow's original work. Remember BF Skinner's popular book was called Beyond Freedom and Dignity. These writers can publish their work as Beyond Self-Actualization.
3. Maslow's hierarchy is from the point of view of the individual-- the highest accomplishment is the expression of self. The new one is from the point of view of society-- the highest accomplishment is parenting.
4. Maslow's hierarchy is less NT-centric and less hetero-centric, so I like it better.

Seconded. I think you hit the mark. Maslow's Hierarchy was about individuals being all that they could be. The revised version is about being a good sheep in the herd.

ruveyn

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 1:29 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vector wrote:

Seconded. I think you hit the mark. Maslow's Hierarchy was about individuals being all that they could be. The revised version is about being a good sheep in the herd.

ruveyn

Still, the old pyramid don't explain very well the cursed unhappy artists...