Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 7:57 pm

Don_Pedro_Zamacona wrote:
What kind of computer do you have? Not to mention what kind of printer?

My mobo is a P4M800, and the printer is an inexpensive HP that wastes a lot of ink during startup. To use that printer in Windows requires quite an installation process that is several minutes long, and all of that has to be repeated if I disconnect that printer and connect an identical twin I have as a backup. However, I had never tried turning the printer on before connecting it in Mint, and maybe that would make a difference. Here is the thread where I had first tried:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53722

Quote:
Linux is not for everyone, but for those of us who have managed to get it working it is vastly superior to Windows and MAC-OS. I use Linux Mint 15 on my Toshiba Satellite C875(64bit). Tried Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 but gave those up cuz of driver problems.

Ubuntu is a spin-off of Debian testing, and I am using a "rolling" Linux Mint Debian on my machines that cannot run the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. However, neither will my older machines run Debian's Gnome3 desktop.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 8:07 pm

Cinnamon isn't "mandatory" when using Mint (although it looks nice, at the very least), as it's fairly straightforward to install other frontends. HP releases linux software with built-in support of 1,500 devices.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 2:42 am

leejosepho wrote:
Ubuntu is a spin-off of Debian testing, and I am using a "rolling" Linux Mint Debian on my machines that cannot run the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. However, neither will my older machines run Debian's Gnome3 desktop.

Rollig-release Debian Mint? What's the name of this distro? It sounds interesting...

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a semi-rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.
It’s available in both 32 and 64-bit as a live DVD with MATE or Cinnamon.
The purpose of LMDE is to look identical to the main edition and to provide the same functionality while using Debian as a base.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

I have it in 64-bit PAE and MATE on my older desktop that cannot run Cinnamon or Gnome3, and in 32-bit PAE (686) in my Dell 1150 notebook. But as I recall, it is also available in 32-bit no-PAE (486 version, like also with Slacko Puppy) for even older hardware. Overall, I prefer LMDE over Linux (Ubuntu) Mint Cinnamon even though that it what I have here on this newer Dell 1737 laptop that can handle the graphics but cannot charge its battery!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 6:46 pm

I think it's a shame some major corporation didn't invest serious money to develop a Linux desktop that could have competed with Windows and MacOS. Or especially they could have developed a high-end desktop or laptop based on a Linux build optimized for that specific platform.

They could have seriously interfered with Apple's progression toward dominance of personal computing.

I think it's too late now.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 8:24 pm

Apple doesn't really dominate anything in terms of software.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 11:34 pm

MaxE wrote:
I think it's a shame some major corporation didn't invest serious money to develop a Linux desktop that could have competed with Windows and MacOS. Or especially they could have developed a high-end desktop or laptop based on a Linux build optimized for that specific platform.

They could have seriously interfered with Apple's progression toward dominance of personal computing.

I think that there are more devices in the world that use Linux than any other operating system. Linux completely dominates several categories including smart phones and supercomputers and is the most used operating system for Internet servers. It may also be the dominant operating system on mainframes by now.

The last time I looked, Apple has a slight edge in tablets and is second behind Microsoft on personal computers and laptops.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 12:36 am

MaxE wrote:

What do you really gain from it? OS X, while not linux, is still mostly open source and extremely hackable. I haven't found anything that I wanted to do to my system that OS X wouldn't allow me to do - even if it took a lot of trial-and-error on my part.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 10:22 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
MaxE wrote:

What do you really gain from it?

A pissed Linux user base. They dig in and resist the moves Canonical tries to make.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 9:39 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
sliqua-jcooter wrote:
MaxE wrote:

What do you really gain from it?

A pissed Linux user base. They dig in and resist the moves Canonical tries to make.

OK I think I get it. @sliqua-jcooter is saying MacOS is OK because he is able to hack it.

That wasn't my point. My point is that, with sufficient money and motivation a well-integrated high-end system based on Linux, that could have successfully competed with Apple, might have been possible. However the opportunity to introduce a new player into the PC/laptop ecosystem is long past.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 11:19 am

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
MaxE wrote:

What do you really gain from it? OS X, while not linux, is still mostly open source and extremely hackable. I haven't found anything that I wanted to do to my system that OS X wouldn't allow me to do - even if it took a lot of trial-and-error on my part.

It would be a lot more convenient to install Darwin (which is almost identical to OS X in most aspects), then. You can install this everywhere without violating Apple's EULA, which means that you can legally experiment on it in a virtual machine.