Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 11:45 am

But how do I tell which stick it is? Or do I have to buy new ones and replace both?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 12:03 pm

You should be able to pull all but the first one and run a memory test of some kind, then either switch them or add the second (or third, and so on) and run the test again.

Check the manual for your motherboard before purchasing any new memory. Some boards need memory sticks to be exact matches installed in pairs and you might have difficulty finding just one stick to match something you already have that is still good.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 3:37 pm

I'd leave them in and find a Linux live boot CD or a boot disk like the Ultimate Boot CD and run MemTest86/Prime 95 or another program that will load your CPU and RAM with mathematical operations intended to stress those 2 out and you'll know your problem.

The quick and dirty way is watch the POST routine run on your system - unless you have a Mac or a newer PC running EFI as the pre-boot environment.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 11:42 pm

Alright thx, can't really afford new cards right now just wanted to know lol.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 9:09 am

If you suspect bad RAM, you must test it one stick at a time with something like Memtester.

More than one stick will tell you there is an error, but it won't identify which stick is bad.

shibashaba
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2010, 12:34 am

Make sure your settings are right. It's been awhile since I had to mess with this, but it maybe just a setting in your bios.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 3:43 am

If you have bad ram, get it out of the computer. It can corrupt your data.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 12:18 pm

Ran Memtest86 and got about 578 errors after a few hours only problem I don't have access to newegg anymore because I closed my checking account since I spent too much money. Any ideas on how to get some good memory? I have a local store but the prices are insane!

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 2:08 pm

KingofKaboom wrote:
Ran Memtest86 and got about 578 errors after a few hours only problem I don't have access to newegg anymore because I closed my checking account since I spent too much money. Any ideas on how to get some good memory? I have a local store but the prices are insane!

You're kinda up the creek. Best Buy is a rip off. What kind of memory do you need, I have a 2x512MB pair of Samsung DDR2 SODIMMs I pulled from my MacBook somewhere...

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 5:39 pm

Yes, just tell us what you already have and I am sure somebody here has some extra laying around. And personally, I shop carefully and have always had good outcomes on eBay.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 6:15 pm

I got some at a local computer shop about $35 each for two and they work really well so I'm good guys thx. I just thought of the place after posting didn't get to look at selection so much and the guy was uppity about what I should know before I come into his store but atleast my computer works already tested memory for a few hours and no trouble. Tons fast now used to take 30 secs to load up OS now it's about 5 so it improved :)