Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Taimaat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2011, 11:04 pm

I started this free software game project. It is several years old now. We have only ever had 3 team members (only 2 who actually worked on it. The problem is, we are still stuck on hunting for bugs. I feel like I am missing something if we went two years and did not find a couple of simple bugs. I would like to have more people actually look at the code. Wasn't it Eric Raymond who said, "with enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.

I thought of trying to recruit people from other free software projects, but that did not work out to well. It seems like you have to be good friends with someone, who is also a programmer before they will agree to work on your game, but I have a hard time making friends with programmers (doesn't everybody). Maybe you people could help me out so that people would care enough about me to help me with the project (It does have some nice artwork and storyline, it even compiles and runs)

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2011, 2:41 am

if it's C#/XNA based, I could have a good look at it and probably weed out most of the bugs, it's the language i'm currently best at....

If it's in in C++ or Java i'd need some time to brush up on them, and I might be bugging you for the first few days or weeks asking you about what part does what :)

Darth_Aspie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Mar 2011, 3:38 am

I could probably help, though I can't say how much free time I can spare. Is it posted on the web (or do you plan to do so in the future)?

Taimaat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2011, 11:14 pm

It is actually a 2d tile based game that is written in C using the X11 libraries.
It is a the fork of another project. Also, I've only tested it in linux so I'm not sure how to compile/run it in windows (I've heard of something called cygwin and mingw but never tried it myself.)

I do have a link to a website where the code is. I'm not going to post it here publically because I don't want people to think it is ready for beta and be disappointed. (I made that mistake before, so now when I google it, all I see is the bad reviews people posted) Private Message me if you want the link to the website. From there you should be able to subscribe to the public mailing list/ post on the forums.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2011, 11:56 pm

you cannot run it on windows using the X11 libraries without emulation or similar... A possible course of action would be to implement the code with SDL instead, that way it can run on pretty much everything...