Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 2:01 pm

I'm thinking about buying some quality computer speakers this summer, and I would like to hear what speakers people think are the best. My budget is going to be around $200 to maybe even $250. The only requirement is that they don't artificially boost any frequencies (a dial for that is fine as long as I can adjust it).

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 6:46 pm

pat2rome wrote:
I'm thinking about buying some quality computer speakers this summer, and I would like to hear what speakers people think are the best. My budget is going to be around $200 to maybe even $250. The only requirement is that they don't artificially boost any frequencies (a dial for that is fine as long as I can adjust it).

Buy some decent near-field recording studio monitors, e.g. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul06/a ... 0706_3.htm - there is a lot of high-priced rubbish in the PC audio market, so avoid the big-brand computer gear.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:38 am

the best computer speakers [any speaker used with a computer, for my purposes] i've ever tried, were a used pair of magnepan magnaplanar MMGs- nothing else for the money was as sonically transparent or neutral-sounding. these speakers literally ARE transparent, because the grill cloth is very thing and coarsly woven, which means you can see the transparent mylar speaking diaphram underneath. shine a light through one sometime, you'll see what i mean. you'll need at least a good 50 watt-per-channel amp to drive them, as they are nominally 4-ohms impedance. as they are dipoles, you also need them to be out in the room away from the walls. if this is too much for your purposes, then at least avoid anything made by bose unless you like coloration.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:12 am

I'm with auntblabby on this one.

BOSE

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:18 am

Boxy-sounding
Overpriced
Superficially
Entertaining

voss749
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2011, 3:49 pm

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+-+P ... m+(3-Piece)+-+Black/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232&cmp=RMX&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9382232

$155

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 9:24 pm

Personally I would go for KRK Rokits.

The Rokit 5s should be in your price range.

It is a pair of active studio monitors. Not the most powerful ones but it delivers really good quality.

If you happen to also have a nice sub you could connect it into the system with a 1 in / 2 out adapter which only costs a Dollar or two.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Mar 2011, 1:22 am

pat2rome wrote:

It depends on what you're doing. If you're looking for general purpose speakers then I absolutely love my BOSE MediaMate computer speakers. They look like this, only polar white. I've owned my pair for over 10 years and they're still going strong. They produce rich highs and satisfying bass. You can read reviews from others. Since BOSE stopped making these speakers in 2002 it might be hard to find a pair, and I'm not entirely sure if Companion® 2 multimedia speaker system are the next generation, but if they are $90 is a steal for these speakers. They'll last for a LONG time. :)

If you looking for studio monitor speakers then I recommend a pair of ROKIT 5's from KRK Systems coupled with a M-AUDIO Fast Track Pro - 4 x 4 Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface with Preamps. You'll definitely want Monster cabling and FL Studio.

The former things have passed away."

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:55 am

kxmode wrote:
You'll definitely want Monster cabling and FL Studio.

If money were not an issue I would say Ableton live is the best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) available.

FL has an easier to use interface and is often used in conjunction with Ableton though. People design and burn audio tracks to MP3 on FL then import to Ableton to add finishing touches. Others stick with Ableton from start to finish.

voss749
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2011, 2:00 pm

On my previous link you have to copy and paste the entire link.

I have the advantage of actually USING the speakers I recommend.

Klipsch pro media 2.1

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia- ... B000062VUO

Amazon has these for $149

Oddly enough unlike motherboard graphics, most motherboard sound has gotten to the point
where it is "good enough" for most people with good speakers.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 3:54 pm

Native Instruments external soundcard, the Audio 2 DJ is my favourite.

Cost £80. Pretty much close to perfection as far as recreating a audio signal goes.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... r-audio-2/

It has one several awards.

http://www.djmag.com/news/detail/1974