Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,696
Location: somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

11 Mar 2011, 8:41 pm

I recently purchased a book on beginners C++, and the compiler that came with it did not work with my OS (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit), any recommendations on what would be a good compiler?


_________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
- Bruce Lee


dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,721
Location: Washington, USA

11 Mar 2011, 8:55 pm

I recommend CodeBlocks.

http://www.codeblocks.org/



PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Sep 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,136
Location: Scotland

11 Mar 2011, 9:08 pm

Could you program a reliable and effective upload algorithm for people with crap internet connections while you are at it please. ;)


_________________
<Insert meaningful signature here> ;)


Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,696
Location: somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

11 Mar 2011, 9:10 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
Could you program a reliable and effective upload algorithm for people with crap internet connections while you are at it please. ;)

:lol:


_________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
- Bruce Lee


Orcist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 4 Mar 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 34

11 Mar 2011, 9:38 pm

Visual Studio is pretty good.



hechz
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 2 Feb 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Location: Denver, CO

11 Mar 2011, 11:43 pm

http://www.cygwin.com
is a unix-like suite of software for windows. In the install you may install development utilities such as GCC (GNU C Compiler) and much more. For a development environment Eclipse (eclipse.org) is very good.



Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,146
Location: Over there

13 Mar 2011, 12:23 pm

^^ +1


_________________
Giraffe: a ruminant with a view.


soulecho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 78
Location: Niagara Falls

13 Mar 2011, 1:26 pm

Since you're running Windows 7, your best bet will probably be just to grab a copy of Visual Studio Express.

Codeblocks is a neat little IDE, but it doesn't come packaged w/ a compiler so you would need to install MinGW first.

Cygwin is just a pain in the @$$ and you don't strike me as someone in need of a POSIX environment, so stay away from it.



Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,518
Location: Room 101

13 Mar 2011, 2:13 pm

hechz wrote:
http://www.cygwin.com
is a unix-like suite of software for windows. In the install you may install development utilities such as GCC (GNU C Compiler) and much more. For a development environment Eclipse (eclipse.org) is very good.

At that point, you're probably better off just installing Linux. From what I understand Cygwin is a headache, and when Ubuntu is so easy to install, why bother?


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,721
Location: Washington, USA

13 Mar 2011, 3:44 pm

Except Express sucks, you'd need to torrent it for it to be useful. :roll:

Codeblocks comes with MinGW, as long as you click the right download link on their site.

Cygwin really is a pain in the ass, and not worth it unless you're doing some hardcore programming, which I know titan is not. :P



Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,696
Location: somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

13 Mar 2011, 4:07 pm

I downloaded Codeblocks/MinGW and Visual Studio, I think i will just play around with both until i decide which i like more, thanks for the help


_________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
- Bruce Lee


soulecho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 78
Location: Niagara Falls

14 Mar 2011, 8:32 am

dunbots wrote:
Except Express sucks, you'd need to torrent it for it to be useful. :roll:

Codeblocks comes with MinGW, as long as you click the right download link on their site.

Cygwin really is a pain in the ass, and not worth it unless you're doing some hardcore programming, which I know titan is not. :P


As Titangeek is only learning, they really don't need all the bells and whistles that the full version of VS comes with. :wink:



dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,721
Location: Washington, USA

14 Mar 2011, 2:51 pm

soulecho wrote:
dunbots wrote:
Except Express sucks, you'd need to torrent it for it to be useful. :roll:

Codeblocks comes with MinGW, as long as you click the right download link on their site.

Cygwin really is a pain in the ass, and not worth it unless you're doing some hardcore programming, which I know titan is not. :P


As Titangeek is only learning, they really don't need all the bells and whistles that the full version of VS comes with. :wink:

True, but he might want it eventually. ;)



Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,696
Location: somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

14 Mar 2011, 2:53 pm

dunbots wrote:
soulecho wrote:
dunbots wrote:
Except Express sucks, you'd need to torrent it for it to be useful. :roll:

Codeblocks comes with MinGW, as long as you click the right download link on their site.

Cygwin really is a pain in the ass, and not worth it unless you're doing some hardcore programming, which I know titan is not. :P


As Titangeek is only learning, they really don't need all the bells and whistles that the full version of VS comes with. :wink:

True, but he might want it eventually. ;)


Titangeek will cross that bridge when he comes to it :lol:


_________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
- Bruce Lee


Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,518
Location: Room 101

14 Mar 2011, 5:03 pm

Titangeek wrote:
dunbots wrote:
soulecho wrote:
dunbots wrote:
Except Express sucks, you'd need to torrent it for it to be useful. :roll:

Codeblocks comes with MinGW, as long as you click the right download link on their site.

Cygwin really is a pain in the ass, and not worth it unless you're doing some hardcore programming, which I know titan is not. :P


As Titangeek is only learning, they really don't need all the bells and whistles that the full version of VS comes with. :wink:

True, but he might want it eventually. ;)


Titangeek will cross that bridge when he comes to it :lol:

I would recommend not becoming dependent on Microsoft's tools. If you are a college student, you will be able to get VS for free through DreamSpark, but you would still be better off using something free and cross-platform.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,696
Location: somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

14 Mar 2011, 5:06 pm

Orwell wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
dunbots wrote:
soulecho wrote:
dunbots wrote:
Except Express sucks, you'd need to torrent it for it to be useful. :roll:

Codeblocks comes with MinGW, as long as you click the right download link on their site.

Cygwin really is a pain in the ass, and not worth it unless you're doing some hardcore programming, which I know titan is not. :P


As Titangeek is only learning, they really don't need all the bells and whistles that the full version of VS comes with. :wink:

True, but he might want it eventually. ;)


Titangeek will cross that bridge when he comes to it :lol:

I would recommend not becoming dependent on Microsoft's tools. If you are a college student, you will be able to get VS for free through DreamSpark, but you would still be better off using something free and cross-platform.


good to know, but im not going to college for another year or two


_________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
- Bruce Lee