Page 4 of 10 [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 10:10 pm

Well this one Linux distro called Ubuntu got this new interface called Unity and it's really awesome.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2011, 1:24 am

Science_Guy wrote:
Well this one Linux distro called Ubuntu got this new interface called Unity and it's really awesome.

Unity is a piece of s**t and a few other distros want to adopt it but are going to wait until Conical fixes it.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 11:19 am

lxuser wrote:
Science_Guy wrote:

Unity is a piece of sh** and a few other distros want to adopt it but are going to wait until Conical fixes it.

Unity sucks, yes. Is GNOME 3 shell any better? I haven't had a chance to try out any of the recent iterations.

I'll probably be on Debian Stable for a while. At least until KDE4 is ready, since GNOME seems determined to destroy itself. KDE 4.6 is almost usable.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 1:31 pm

Orwell wrote:
lxuser wrote:
Science_Guy wrote:

Unity is a piece of sh** and a few other distros want to adopt it but are going to wait until Conical fixes it.

Unity sucks, yes. Is GNOME 3 shell any better? I haven't had a chance to try out any of the recent iterations.

I'll probably be on Debian Stable for a while. At least until KDE4 is ready, since GNOME seems determined to destroy itself. KDE 4.6 is almost usable.

A friend wanted me to try Natty Narwal to check out unity, but unfortunately virtualbox wont share my graphic resources and it cant push unity, so it defaulted to "classic"

I'll have to do a proper install i guess.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 7:00 pm

I found a quote that I really like:

Quote:
It's great, but it's not the point. The point is to make Linux the best OS that the community is capable of making. Not for other people: For itself. The oh-so-common threats of "Linux will never take over the desktop unless it does such-and-such" are simply irrelevant: The Linux community isn't trying to take over the desktop. They really don't care if it gets good enough to make it onto your desktop, so long as it stays good enough to remain on theirs. The highly-vocal MS-haters, pro-Linux zealots, and money-making FOSS purveyors might be loud, but they're still minorities.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 7:01 pm

I found a quote that I really like:

Quote:
It's great, but it's not the point. The point is to make Linux the best OS that the community is capable of making. Not for other people: For itself. The oh-so-common threats of "Linux will never take over the desktop unless it does such-and-such" are simply irrelevant: The Linux community isn't trying to take over the desktop. They really don't care if it gets good enough to make it onto your desktop, so long as it stays good enough to remain on theirs. The highly-vocal MS-haters, pro-Linux zealots, and money-making FOSS purveyors might be loud, but they're still minorities.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Apr 2011, 7:38 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Quote:
Absolutely spot on, and I'm so pleased you posted this.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2011, 11:06 pm

Orwell wrote:
lxuser wrote:
Science_Guy wrote:

I haven't used GNOME 3 yet so I cant comment on that and besides I was pointing out that UNITY is s**t I wasn't saying this and that is better. I will refuse to use any distro that adopts UNITY and doesn't make it easy to go back to a stock GNOME shell.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 11:31 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
A friend wanted me to try Natty Narwal to check out unity, but unfortunately virtualbox wont share my graphic resources and it cant push unity, so it defaulted to "classic"

The livecd environment is sufficient to determine that Unity is an abomination. I have no idea what the designers were smoking.

lxuser wrote:
I haven't used GNOME 3 yet so I cant comment on that and besides I was pointing out that UNITY is sh** I wasn't saying this and that is better. I will refuse to use any distro that adopts UNITY and doesn't make it easy to go back to a stock GNOME shell.

Well, right, the issue for me is finding a viable alternative by the time my current set-up (Debian 6.0 Stable with GNOME 2.30) becomes too old to keep. What I've seen of GNOME 3 shell thus far has not been encouraging (it looks somewhat similar to Unity, actually), I've never been a huge KDE fan, and Xfce is just poorly put together- lots of random annoying bugs and no documentation on anything they've coded in the past 5 years.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2011, 12:12 am

Orwell wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

The livecd environment is sufficient to determine that Unity is an abomination. I have no idea what the designers were smoking.

lxuser wrote:
I haven't used GNOME 3 yet so I cant comment on that and besides I was pointing out that UNITY is sh** I wasn't saying this and that is better. I will refuse to use any distro that adopts UNITY and doesn't make it easy to go back to a stock GNOME shell.

Well, right, the issue for me is finding a viable alternative by the time my current set-up (Debian 6.0 Stable with GNOME 2.30) becomes too old to keep. What I've seen of GNOME 3 shell thus far has not been encouraging (it looks somewhat similar to Unity, actually), I've never been a huge KDE fan, and Xfce is just poorly put together- lots of random annoying bugs and no documentation on anything they've coded in the past 5 years.

Crap I saw a GNOME 3 setup, I am not using that. I wonder what will be more buggy UNITY or GNOME 3? Probably UNITY. Well as you pointed out once GNOME 2.3X becomes outdated what will be the alternative? I will hate to have to use KDE.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 12:55 am

lxuser wrote:
Crap I saw a GNOME 3 setup, I am not using that. I wonder what will be more buggy UNITY or GNOME 3? Probably UNITY. Well as you pointed out once GNOME 2.3X becomes outdated what will be the alternative? I will hate to have to use KDE.

I'm currently getting comfortable with the *box window managers. I quite like openbox in crunchbang linux. I'm also going to try out a pure compiz solution.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 8:29 am

Fuzzy wrote:
lxuser wrote:

I'm currently getting comfortable with the *box window managers. I quite like openbox in crunchbang linux. I'm also going to try out a pure compiz solution.

Has Linux descended back into the dark ages before we had a workable desktop environment?

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 8:50 am

I don't like Linux. I love it!

Not only because it is open but also because of its powerful commandline.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 11:01 am

LostInEmulation wrote:
I don't like Linux. I love it!

Not only because it is open but also because of its powerful commandline.

Me too.
Its become an obsession to use.

TheMysteriousOne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2011, 7:33 pm

Ever since I installed PCLOS, I hardly ever boot Windows.

Wyldfaery
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2011, 4:00 am

I adore it for several reasons:

1. the filesystem actually makes sense.
2. it works.
3. it's kept my 12 year old desktop machine running better and more reliably than any desktop I've had that had a non-unixlike OS on it.
4. it's free.
5. repeat 1-4.