Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 12:43 pm

Moog wrote:
Can I just stare at my normal light and try to influence it? Brightness maybe? I don't know jack about electricals.

You can't influence the brightness by staring at the bulb, but you could influence its brightness by inserting your fingers in another light socket on the same circuit. :wink:

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 1:48 pm

TallyMan wrote:
DNForrest wrote:
If you believe their marketing, then I have some homeopathic water to sell you, it'll cure anything, only $50/liter (what a deal!)

Racketeer!! !! !! !! !! !

I'll sell you some homeopathic water for only $40 per litre. Even better deal! :P

But mine has an independent study* that shows it to be 100% effective!

*Performed by my sister, data analyzed by me.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 3:46 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Moog wrote:
Can I just stare at my normal light and try to influence it? Brightness maybe? I don't know jack about electricals.

You can't influence the brightness by staring at the bulb, but you could influence its brightness by inserting your fingers in another light socket on the same circuit. :wink:

I'll do that then. Cheers Tally, I know I can rely on you. :D

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 4:03 pm

Moog wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Moog wrote:

I'll do that then. Cheers Tally, I know I can rely on you. :D

:idea: 8O :!: :lol:

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 4:04 pm

That lamp is obviously bogus. It would probably end up convincing the buyers with Type I error though.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 6:34 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Hmm, highly dubious and not helped in the slightest by the marketing waffle.
Quote:
To produce digital output, the REG uses a quantum phenomenon called electron tunneling, which is measured as a randomly fluctuating current across a potential barrier in an electric circuit.
:roll: Otherwise known as a diode or the base-emitter junction of any ol' transistor, followed by a simple amplifier. AKA white noise generator and it has no "oooh - scientific!" wow-factor whatever.
It's possible to demonstrate the same <ahem> "mind control" by staring at a TV screen with the aerial unplugged and trying to influence the random noise pattern. Not quite as pretty, but at least you already have one. :wink:

Depend of your intepretation of quantum physic. :wink:
According to some it's conscience that bring a collapse of quantum phenomenom under observation. (Aka, the conscious act of observing.) Personnally I don't believe this intepretation though.

ruveyn wrote:
Moog wrote:
http://www.mind-lamp.com/

I want one!

There is no Mind. There is a brain and it is possible that energy emitted because of brain metabolism can affect other systems.

Matter and energy in space-time is all there is.

ruveyn

I think so my mind is. The brain may only be made of matter and energy, but it's global activity create the mind.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 7:42 pm

Quote:
According to some it's conscience that bring a collapse of quantum phenomenom under observation. (Aka, the conscious act of observing.) Personnally I don't believe this intepretation though.

Most of the "interpretations" of quantum physics are simply ways of trying to understand it; they are viewpoints, not hypotheses or theories (Everett's many world interpretation being one exception). They are technically "correct" so long as QM is. Unfortunately, quantum physics is rubbish when it comes to explaining how nature works in human terms; it is exquisitely precise in calculations, but raises so many questions that I actively dislike it. Here's to hoping that string theory becomes the GUT :)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 8:50 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Quote:

Most of the "interpretations" of quantum physics are simply ways of trying to understand it; they are viewpoints, not hypotheses or theories (Everett's many world interpretation being one exception). They are technically "correct" so long as QM is. Unfortunately, quantum physics is rubbish when it comes to explaining how nature works in human terms; it is exquisitely precise in calculations, but raises so many questions that I actively dislike it. Here's to hoping that string theory becomes the GUT :)

Try explaining how transistors work without quantum physics.

Classical physics is a total failure at describing the atom and sub atomic realm and it cannot explain tunneling either.

ruveyn

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:39 pm

Quote:

Classical physics is a total failure at describing the atom and sub atomic realm and it cannot explain tunneling either.

ruveyn

Which is why I included "exquisitely precise in calculations". ;) I just have a personal aesthetic dislike of the theory as it doesn't give us a nice model to think in terms of, like General or Special Relativity.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 6:33 am

ryan93 wrote:
Quote:

ruveyn

Which is why I included "exquisitely precise in calculations". ;) I just have a personal aesthetic dislike of the theory as it doesn't give us a nice model to think in terms of, like General or Special Relativity.

You are prejudiced in favor of classical theories. As far as I am concerned, ANY theory that predicts correctly and has not yet been empirically falsified is a winner. Nature is not obliged to present herself in such a way that man-scale concepts are the truth. Man-scale is a contingent way of understanding the world. It has the virtue of promoting the survival of our species, but that does not make it true or make it complete.

The all time champion among physical theories is the Standard Model of Particles and Fields. It predicts accurately to 12 decimal places and the fact that it is mathematically ugly and requires the trickery of renormalization does not detract from its scientific virtue one iota.

ruveyn

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 6:55 am

Quote:
You are prejudiced in favor of classical theories. As far as I am concerned, ANY theory that predicts correctly and has not yet been empirically falsified is a winner. Nature is not obliged to present herself in such a way that man-scale concepts are the truth. Man-scale is a contingent way of understanding the world. It has the virtue of promoting the survival of our species, but that does not make it true or make it complete.

The all time champion among physical theories is the Standard Model of Particles and Fields. It predicts accurately to 12 decimal places and the fact that it is mathematically ugly and requires the trickery of renormalization does not detract from its scientific virtue one iota.

ruveyn

Not necessarily, I'd just like a theory that makes sense outside of a differential equation. Of course, if it works, and is empirically unfalsified, it's a sound theory. But I can't help but hope that string theory, or some more comprehensible theory supersedes QM.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 12:41 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Quote:

ruveyn

Not necessarily, I'd just like a theory that makes sense outside of a differential equation. Of course, if it works, and is empirically unfalsified, it's a sound theory. But I can't help but hope that string theory, or some more comprehensible theory supersedes QM.

Never take grad-level science and engineering coursework, then. Pretty much everything we deal with involves PDQs that can only be solved by numerical methods (which I actually enjoy thoroughly).

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Never take grad-level science and engineering coursework, then. Pretty much everything we deal with involves PDQs that can only be solved by numerical methods (which I actually enjoy thoroughly).

One of the reasons I'm studying Genetics, and learning a bit of Computer Science; I'm much more fond of Matrix Algebra than Calculus.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 12:05 pm

ryan93 wrote:

The differential equation is the only way we can deal with motion and change in time. If you get rid of D.E. s you get rid of time. How can we do that?

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 4:34 pm

Moog wrote:
http://www.mind-lamp.com/

I want one!

I don't. But next time my Traveller players ask how a Zhodani psi-switch works, I'll have an answer.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.