Do you know all your times tables (multiplication tables)?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

They say everyone should know all their times tables up to at least 12 times table by the time they leave school. Unfortunately I still don't know all of them, and I just can't seem to learn them quick. I know my twos, threes, fours, fives, nines, tens, and elevens. That's it. Oh, and I know my fifties and hundreds. That's it. I was always a bit behind with my maths anyway (always in bottom set for maths).

Anyone learnt all the times tables by the time you left school?

Last edited by Joe90 on 16 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

I think I know most of them off the top of my hand. Others, I'd need to think about for a second.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 5:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
They say everyone should know all their times tables up to at least 12 times table by the time they leave school. Unfortunately I still don't know all of them, and I just can't seem to learn them quick. I know my twos, threes, fives, nines, tens, and elevens. That's it. Oh, and I know my fifties and hundreds. That's it. I was always a bit behind with my maths anyway (always in bottom set for maths).

Do not worry. All that you really need are 0 x 0 ...... 9 x 9. All the rest can be done with additions and carries.

ruveyn

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 7:19 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
They say everyone should know all their times tables up to at least 12 times table by the time they leave school. Unfortunately I still don't know all of them, and I just can't seem to learn them quick. I know my twos, threes, fives, nines, tens, and elevens. That's it. Oh, and I know my fifties and hundreds. That's it. I was always a bit behind with my maths anyway (always in bottom set for maths).

Do not worry. All that you really need are 0 x 0 ...... 9 x 9. All the rest can be done with additions and carries.

ruveyn

The distributive property works a ton as well.

e.g.,

What is 7 x 116?

This is the same as 7 x (100 + 10 + 6), or 700 + 70 + 42 = 812. Knowing how to FOIL in Algebra also is a major help.

So, 12 X 11 is

12 x (10 + 1) = 120 + 12 = 132

and so on.

You can easily break things down into 100s and 10s as much as you want to solve the problem given enough numbers.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 7:58 pm

I remember most of them. I generally just do all my arithmetic in R though.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 8:04 pm

ryan93 wrote:

Do you mean the statistical program R? I am really interested in it but have not gotten around to do much with it. Nothing thought about doing arithmetic with it though...I was thinking more bioinformatics and stuff like that. But that was a long time ago and I changed careers.

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 8:24 pm

I am pretty bad with mental arithmetic due to my poor working memory (much to the surprise of my less mathematically inclined acquaintances). I do most of my arithmetic on an hp calculator.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 8:25 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
ryan93 wrote:

Do you mean the statistical program R? I am really interested in it but have not gotten around to do much with it. Nothing thought about doing arithmetic with it though...I was thinking more bioinformatics and stuff like that. But that was a long time ago and I changed careers.

Yup, I heard recommendations from various people that the language was good for bioinformatics/mathematical biology. R is pretty useful for basic arithmetic, and more arithmetically intensive stuff like matrix multiplication. There's a lot of documentation for the language, so it's well worth learning /advertisement

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm

I don't have the tables memorized at all. I calculate any simple arithmetic result whenever I need it... which is rather seldom.

ryan93 wrote:
HerrGrimm wrote:
ryan93 wrote:

Yup, I heard recommendations from various people that the language was good for bioinformatics/mathematical biology. R is pretty useful for basic arithmetic, and more arithmetically intensive stuff like matrix multiplication. There's a lot of documentation for the language, so it's well worth learning /advertisement

R is a good stats program, but it's slow on a lot of tasks. For basic arithmetic you can use any program you like equally well (you could even use Python if you really wanted to) but for computationally intense tasks, especially involving matrices, you might be better off with a language that handles matrices more readily, like Matlab or one of the free clones like Scilab/Octave.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 7:19 am

HerrGrimm wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

ruveyn

e.g.,

What is 7 x 116?

This is the same as 7 x (100 + 10 + 6), or 700 + 70 + 42 = 812. Knowing how to FOIL in Algebra also is a major help.

So, 12 X 11 is

and so on.

You can easily break things down into 100s and 10s as much as you want to solve the problem given enough numbers.

One still needs the carry rules to do the extended addition.

ruveyn

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 9:21 am

Quote:
R is a good stats program, but it's slow on a lot of tasks. For basic arithmetic you can use any program you like equally well (you could even use Python if you really wanted to) but for computationally intense tasks, especially involving matrices, you might be better off with a language that handles matrices more readily, like Matlab or one of the free clones like Scilab/Octave.

I've always found R to be good for matrix calculations between matrices smaller than 100,000 * 100,000, so long as you don't have them stuck in a loop. Unfortunately, efficiency problems seem to pop up where they really shouldn't. Still, it's easier than C... :)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 10:02 am

HerrGrimm wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

e.g.,

What is 7 x 116?

So, 12 X 11 is

and so on.

I do that a lot, but no longer as easily as during my younger days!

I had learned my "times tables" along with phonetics by the time I had finished the third grade (in 1959).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm

Quote:

e.g.,

What is 7 x 116?

So, 12 X 11 is

and so on.

You can easily break things down into 100s and 10s as much as you want to solve the problem given enough numbers

Still looks complicated to me. I literally go dyslexic when I look at numbers. It just looks like a pile of numbers to me. :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:16 pm

And Descartes - I love your avatar! Just makes me laugh each time I see it. :D

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

ruveyn

e.g.,

What is 7 x 116?

So, 12 X 11 is

and so on.

This is pretty similar to how I do multiplication in my head, though I don't even really have 0x0 through 9x9 memorized i just kind of have a subset... when I want to multiply 7x9 in my head I have to break down the multiplication into a ones that I know 7x7 + 7x2 = 49 + 14 = 63. I should have probably just memorized all 0x0 to 9x9 but at this point i think my brain just does this sort of thing completely automatically and it would be hard to change now.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:03 pm

I remembered my times tables (0x0 to 9x9) in primary school, but in secondary when we were allowed to use the calculator, I kinda forgot them. Now I mostly use the program bc for it ;)

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!