Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Camwas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2011, 5:41 pm

Right.... Just finished a Btec in music, finding out in the process that the whole music thing isn't for me, and have decided to get into computing, eventually hoping to be a SysAdmin, cus the're awesome ^_^

Thing is I don't really know where to start, what things to learn or have a go at, so it makes sense to ask people here, as the will know what works for aspies.

So simple question really, what things do you recommend i start with?

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm

Hello, I am a Computer Science major. I can give you some general advice.

Usually, SysAdms work with networks, databases, and user privileges. They often install software for all computers within an organization, check for suspicious activity on networks, and make sure your employers computers are performing at maximum efficiency.

It is a good idea to get an understanding of:

General Computer Security (I recommend CompTIA Security+ material as a learning resource)
General Computer Hardware (A+ material and look up manufacturing vendors)
Operating Systems (Linux, Unix, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista)
Networks
Processors (some software updates work only on certain computer processors)
Several Programming Languages (I recommend Java)

Type in a search engine "System Administrator Skills" so you can get a general idea.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 3:25 pm

Camwas wrote:
Right.... Just finished a Btec in music, finding out in the process that the whole music thing isn't for me, and have decided to get into computing, eventually hoping to be a SysAdmin, cus they're awesome ^_^

As a group, we're not intrinsically awesome or brilliant or funny or badly-dressed or whatever. I think the only defining characteristic is a propensity (not absolute either) to be comfortable around technology.

But thank you anyway :D

Camwas wrote:
Thing is I don't really know where to start, what things to learn or have a go at, so it makes sense to ask people here, as the will know what works for aspies.

So simple question really, what things do you recommend i start with?

Start learning if doing stuff on computers, to computers, is interesting.

Look up a Linux distribution that seems interesting and start playing around with getting it to work at all (e.g. start up), then getting it to do things you want it to do. Be sure you're comfortable with reading all the directions on the tin, including the direction the directions on the tin point to. It can save your bacon (or your time, or your computer arrangement, or something...) to know the shape of what you're doing before you do it. After you've got a distro started and more-or-less working, dig into it, get a feel for how it works, why it works, and why it breaks sometimes.

If you find that all of this is a drag or too irritating to stick with, or fundamentally not interesting, that may be a sign that sysadmin isn't for you.