Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm

I'm considering getting an Apple Mac. I've only ever used them before at school but I love some of the programmes and generally the way it works. Has anybody here had an apple mac, and how well did it work for you?

What do you think, should I get an Apple Macbook? (an apple mac in the form of a laptop :P)

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm

Mine just died after eleven years. I have a donated PC now which is faster than my old mac. I'm saving to get anew Mac because I like them, for no other reason than familiarity. Macs certainly seem to last a long time and I guess with a faster porcesser like the one here they are very good.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 2:34 pm

I have had a MacBook for around five years and I love it. I use PCs a lot professionally but they pale in comparison to my Mac.

If you can't afford a new Mac and don't want a used one, install Linux on a PC. That's the next best thing. If you're geeky you can try OSx86, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone other than the technically inclined.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 2:34 pm

The answer to your question depends on what you plan on using it for. Are you going to use it for visual arts? Video production? Or are you going to use it to surf the net and occasionally do document editing? The fact is that if you're only going to use it to check your facebook(and WP of course) then a simple netbook would be a better fit. If on the other hand you plan on using it for programs that aren't available on PC then you might be able to justify the higher cost. Either way, since both use the same chipset it's really a matter of personal taste as to which you prefer.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 4:42 pm

Don't buy a Mac computer. If you want it for the operating system, you can easily install OSX on any Intel computer with sufficient specs, and even dual-boot it with Windows, but do not buy a computer from Apple, they're extremely overpriced and unless you're a hipster who's trying to fit in with everyone else, there's no reason at all to buy one.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

I have a Macbook Pro and just a typical Mac OS X desktop from awhile back.
My father has been a "Mac guy" since the early 1990s, so, needless to say, the only Microsoft product we've owned since I've been born was a regular desktop w/ Windows XP. Broke awhile back.

I'm getting a PC soon; Macs are very limited. Can't do anything without running Windows or other operating systems.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 9:49 pm

My husband got his first Apple Mac last year and he is a HUGE fan. He is a programmer with about 25 years experience, and he says its be best computer he ever used. He rarely touches his old Dell laptop anymore, only for work when needed. He liked Apple so much he got the iPod, iPad and iPhone. Apple store is his favorite place right now. Did I mention he an Aspie?

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jul 2011, 11:39 am

I'm still seriously considering buying one. The main downside, I guess, is that they are quite expensive.

My main reason for wanting to buy one are the programmes on it, such as GarageBand, iMovie and so on. I've used these programmes at school and I love them, and I know I'd use them a lot if I had access to them!

Another reason is the fact that my Windows Vista laptop quite frankly gets on my nerves sometimes! It overheats a lot, it's getting old, the touch mouse has broken, and it has two seperate hard drives which is pretty annoying. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I've been considering getting a new computer for a long while now! ;)

Thank you all for your input/advice, anyway. :)

PedroPaardenlul
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm

Just buy it

Seriously, when you've owned a mac you start getting hooked and there is a good reason why most intelligent people prefer mac.

Yes, they are expensive but it's really worth the money.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
I'm getting a PC soon; Macs are very limited. Can't do anything without running Windows or other operating systems.

nice to know! thnx for the info…

a bit odd though that i have been working on the mac since 1986…. still do… have never ever owned a PC…. have a house full of apple products: 5 older macs from the 90's still working, 11 macbooks and macbooks pro, 6 airports, 1 iMac, 5 iPod shuffles and 3 iPhones…

all worthless and can't be used without running windows or other operating systems?

8O :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jul 2011, 1:36 pm

aspi-rant wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

a bit odd though that i have been working on the mac since 1986…. still do… have never ever owned a PC…. have a house full of apple products: 5 older macs from the 90's still working, 11 macbooks and macbooks pro, 6 airports, 1 iMac, 5 iPod shuffles and 3 iPhones…

all worthless and can't be used without running windows or other operating systems?

8O :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoa 8O. That's a lot of Macs!

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

oh.. i forgot one… my first mac laptop... a powerbook G3 wallstreet model! :lol:

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

ForestRose wrote:
Another reason is the fact that my Windows Vista laptop quite frankly gets on my nerves sometimes! It overheats a lot, it's getting old, the touch mouse has broken, and it has two seperate hard drives which is pretty annoying. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I've been considering getting a new computer for a long while now! ;)

Microsoft didn't make your laptop, so Windows has nothing to do with the quality of it. :roll: Either you don't take care of it, or you bought a bad model (either bad production quality, or just a bad manufacturer in general).

PedroPaardenlul wrote:
Just buy it

Seriously, when you've owned a mac you start getting hooked and there is a good reason why most intelligent people prefer mac.

Yes, they are expensive but it's really worth the money.

I think you're confusing "intelligent people" with "dimwitted hipsters".

aspi-rant wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

Yes, but there's nothing Windows, Linux, or OSX on any computer can't do than OSX can on an Apple computer. ;)

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 5:36 pm

Mac: Baby's first computer OS.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 1:13 am

dunbots wrote:
Yes, but there's nothing Windows, Linux, or OSX on any computer can't do than OSX can on an Apple computer. ;)

Garageband? iMovie? etc…. :wink:

the sole reason why OP ponders about buying a mac… :idea:

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 1:28 am

aspi-rant wrote:
dunbots wrote:

Garageband? iMovie? etc…. :wink:

the sole reason why OP ponders about buying a mac… :idea:

You can use those programs on OSX on any computer, whether you buy a Mac, or dualboot it with Windows or Linux on a much cheaper computer...