Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 3:44 am

dunbots wrote:
Coming from a person that knows nothing about me personally, and can use neither proper capitalization nor grammar, I find that hard to believe.

being used to systems that were very picky about capitalization in file-naming and passwords… i dropped that in the midt 90's… and use my own writing scheme so i don't mess up in critical data…

grammar slips happen all the time… even for native americans… so i guess i am excused being born and raised and educated in holland, moved and studied in denmark… and now teach about my field of expertise mostly in danish… and communicate in danish, dutch and english on a daily basis… sorry to mess up once in a while. :roll:

i am glad that nobody was looking at einstein and others like that, and judged their knowledge and expertise solely on his lack of proper capitalizations and grammar…. or even his pronunciations in english.

my, oh my. :roll:

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 4:05 am

aspi-rant wrote:
Oodain wrote:
it's just like bang and olufsen you pay for the extra polish, software and hardware wise.
this also means that official development is slower and that they work with singular hardware standards for a long time.
of course with the hardware today that wont matter to most users.

none is better than the other they have their pro's and cons,

i would love a hackintosh for image editing but there is more and more open source alternatives to the popular mac software.
as for where my money goes, i enjoy gaming, and OC'ing and do both some modelling and simulation) so needless to say i have win 7 as my primary pc, it allows me ease of use while working with many different kinds of programs and a hardware setup that would put all but the most expensive macs to shame (i have a better gfx card than the one in their top line mac desktop and a similar processor except the top one as well, soon to change)

i could literally have 2 of these pc's for the price of a mac with similar specs and i would still have plenty for a dell ultrasharp 27", now i could elect not to buy one of those pc's and get another screen for some serious real estate.
value for money.

i highlighted something… in my case 3D... :wink:

that's why the PCs were ditched…………. they weren't up to the task needed to be solved. by a long shot.

hence the insane demanding hardware and software i was fortunate to use at that time.

10 years ago things chanced (apple going RISC and UNIX)… it all could be done cheaper on the mac. way cheaper. at a bargain price. and trust me…. the PC's couldn't. by a long shot.

do you know anything about color? true color? and the insane management thereof? no? then why do you assume that the only spec interesting is gfx cards and screensize? they are secondary to the software managing colors…. and the PC is simply not geared to that out of the box… and THAT is one of the simple reasons why the medias mostly use mac…. when they make informed decisions not solely based on price.

you will learn that when you really try to match spec for spec (hardware and software!)… a PC will cost about the same as a mac.

a pc with a dell ultrasharp today can produce color margins within the error mark required for comercial photography at viborg medieskole (as measured by an actual colorimeter), the actual managemnt thereof is a matter of proper test procedure and extensive color profiles, usually shared between high end cameras or aplications to maintain consitency.

on the price side a pc running a unix variant or windows will always be cheaper per unit of measurement today, plain and simple and all evidence will show this quite clearly, try browsing aorund for a bit and use the components they actually advertise inside their products, can be hard for mobo but the rest really is nothing spectacular today.

also i would like to see a mac break the performance records set up by some pc's even single physical core ones, not to mention the ones that combine 2 skulltrail motherboards with 2 i7 cores on each and a total of 8 GPU's of the same (4 double gu boards) model used in the top line imac, only the imac uses the mobile version. they can accomodate a whopping 64 GB of ddr2 ram running at up to 1800 FSB easy.
this a mac would never dream of doing.

dont get me wrong the mac is an incredibly streamlined platform that is perfectly suited for what it is meant for,
media handling.

as for animation, i have never done it on a mac, maybe the software is so much better it warrants looking into but for now blender is the name of the game for me and no way am i paying more than twice for the same performance,
as said i might make a hackintosh when i get the funds for a well designed system, (have heard of stability issues unless you use hardware already used in an official product, or very similar)

software costs is a thing of the past, i learned 3dsmax first, then i tried blender as it was free and i fell in love, with the mass of plugins and extensions available anything is possible.
the whole network management structure in the two companies i maintain pc's for are open source with only the most difficult problems handled by comercial software.
they use open source software where they can and while learining many of those i have begun taking a long look at the alternatives before paying for anything software wise.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 6:30 am

the price myth has been raging for years, and were disputed a long time ago, if one has read these articles:

http://www.macworld.com/article/52381/2 ... price.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/49403/2 ... ison2.html

and other article that followed (google is sometimes your friend… )

;-)

i doubt that since then the PC world has become that cheap again… as claimed by some.

@ oodian:

transforming a PC to a media powerhouse is somewhat hard… and often costly. it surely can be done… but you have to bypass the fundaments of a PC - mostly the operating system! - to do this. introducing an abundance of conflicts…. ending up with proprietary solutions that often do not exchange well. history in that particular industry has shown us this very well...

then what is the point of choosing a windows PC? in that case it would be more reasonable to use linux, since it scales/adapts much better, i would postulate!

problem linux has, is that most professional software is not available, and one is left with the communities alternatives… most of them not really on par with the industry-standards. unfortunately.

you mention two 3D apps… 3dsmax and blender…

none of them are precision solid modelers… which in my field is useless. their numerical precision is not good enough.. although they both make nice output…

i haven't had the time yet to look into the brand new blender interface… but i seems to address many of the problems it had. i hope so… and look forward to play with it soon… ;-)

in the 3D animation section it's all about apps like maya and the likes… and in the movie section it's all about final cut pro… etc.

BTW… autocad is back on the mac… for a reason… and not because they want to accommodate hipsters... ;-)

i agree that open source is very enticing…. but often *very expensive* in the need of someones expertise to maintain it…. or even to train others in it….

remember that human resources (time!! !) costs money… a lot of it… and that's where apples products often shine amongst others… they often just work and don't need a lot of these aforementioned resources and or mods. keeping the TCO lower than "comparable" PC's….

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 9:54 am

aspi-rant wrote:
the price myth has been raging for years, and were disputed a long time ago, if one has read these articles:

http://www.macworld.com/article/52381/2 ... price.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/49403/2 ... ison2.html

and other article that followed (google is sometimes your friend… )

;-)

i doubt that since then the PC world has become that cheap again… as claimed by some.

@ oodian:

transforming a PC to a media powerhouse is somewhat hard… and often costly. it surely can be done… but you have to bypass the fundaments of a PC - mostly the operating system! - to do this. introducing an abundance of conflicts…. ending up with proprietary solutions that often do not exchange well. history in that particular industry has shown us this very well...

then what is the point of choosing a windows PC? in that case it would be more reasonable to use linux, since it scales/adapts much better, i would postulate!

problem linux has, is that most professional software is not available, and one is left with the communities alternatives… most of them not really on par with the industry-standards. unfortunately.

none of them are precision solid modelers… which in my field is useless. their numerical precision is not good enough.. although they both make nice output…

i haven't had the time yet to look into the brand new blender interface… but i seems to address many of the problems it had. i hope so… and look forward to play with it soon… ;-)

in the 3D animation section it's all about apps like maya and the likes… and in the movie section it's all about final cut pro… etc.

BTW… autocad is back on the mac… for a reason… and not because they want to accommodate hipsters... ;-)

i agree that open source is very enticing…. but often *very expensive* in the need of someones expertise to maintain it…. or even to train others in it….

remember that human resources (time!! !) costs money… a lot of it… and that's where apples products often shine amongst others… they often just work and don't need a lot of these aforementioned resources and or mods. keeping the TCO lower than "comparable" PC's….

solidworks runs just fine on a windows machine today. there really is just a large difference from the best mac to the best single mb computer as there is from a mac to a year old pc, the hardware is by hardware standards old in a mac.

actually the price range given was for an imac from their danish shop and proshop.dk(midt data when i bought it)m with similar hardware, this is no myth i looked it up as i was writing my post, check what the upgrade costs are compared to the hardware alone here in denmark, there is at least a 70% increase in all major hardware, the hardware is in essence little different than pc hardware so it does in no way justify this cost.

the point of choosing a windows pc is selection and power thropugh it, also that i play a lot of games, something the mac still havent conquered properly, (in my mind it shouldnt, mac has a purpose)

there is no marked quality difference from a pc where one spends the same amount of resources as a macm, let's say it like that, it isnt inherently better, it might be better at some stuff (i know it is)

autocad ported back to mac just as much because of "hipsters" (there are probably more of those than "real" mac users) convincing very large companies to shift to mac in some departments suddenly making it a good deal.
calculation wise there is absolutely no difference, they use the same conceptualized physical functions no matter the platform.

i always found autocad oddly clunky compared to its newer brethren, though in some cases unbound complexity is what you need.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 5:53 am

aspi-rant wrote:
in contrast… other computer users use their potentials to fight the systems they have chosen…. and waste years of their lifes to fight of malware and what not… and the rest of the time they use their PC as a simple gaming console.

Years of my life? Are you joking? I can only remember ever once getting malware, and I was able to remove it manually with ease.

aspi-rant wrote:
maybe you should try to use a mac someday for more than 10 minutes… before making up your opinions.

Dude, I have an apple laptop. I also grew up on System 7. I absolutely despise Mac OS X. Once again, Mac = Baby's first OS.

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2011, 5:57 am

One can either make the argument that OSX is a Baby's first OS, or that someone needs to learn how to use the shell.

The Macbook is a good computer. If have enjoyed using it in the past (presuming you've tried it) get it. If you enjoy using a windows or linux computer more, get that instead.

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2011, 6:41 am

As good as OSX...

Snow Leopard=Nice
Lion=FAIL

8)

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 6:35 pm

Proof that Steve Jobs is a freaking idiot. :lol:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/ ... 5726.shtml

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 9:53 pm

PedroPaardenlul wrote:
Just buy it

Seriously, when you've owned a mac you start getting hooked and there is a good reason why most intelligent people prefer mac.

Yes, they are expensive but it's really worth the money.

Peoples even more intelligent understand that the iPad and the iPhone are the biggest current menace on the freedom of culture (You can only use what Apple allow you to use.) and must be stopped, somehow....

Quote:

The pictures made on Blender seem quite good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_%28software%29
What are you doing, that need such a precision?

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2011, 10:11 pm

I would guess CAD work. Autodesk is beginning to bring their CAD software over to the mac.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 3:28 am

dunbots wrote:

Steve Jobs is infinitely richer, more successful, and smarter than you will ever be. Where's your tech company? Is it a bigger computer company than Microsoft? Is it a bigger smartphone company than Nokia? Did it make $7.3 billion profit last quarter? Didn't think so.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 3:38 am

Asp-Z wrote:
dunbots wrote:

Steve Jobs is infinitely richer, more successful, and smarter than you will ever be. Where's your tech company? Is it a bigger computer company than Microsoft? Is it a bigger smartphone company than Nokia? Did it make $7.3 billion profit last quarter? Didn't think so.

I'll give you richer and more successful, but "smarter" is uncalled for. He is completely out of touch with the consumer market, but all the consumers of Apple products follow him so blindly that they fail to ever see that something is wrong here.

By the way, are you aspi-rant on a different account? You both seem very similar, with your inclination to insult others rather than have a civilized debate with facts of any kind.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 3:47 am

dunbots wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
dunbots wrote:

I'll give you richer and more successful, but "smarter" is uncalled for. He is completely out of touch with the consumer market, but all the consumers of Apple products follow him so blindly that they fail to ever see that something is wrong here.

By the way, are you aspi-rant on a different account? You both seem very similar, with your inclination to insult others rather than have a civilized debate with facts of any kind.

He's very in touch with the consumer market, moreso than any other tech figure. That's why everyone else copies everything he does. Look at all the new Android tablets which didn't exist at all before the iPad for one example. And the iPod - he created the only MP3 player people actually wanted to use. And that is his trick, he knows that people want technology that's advanced but usable. He creates things that consumers want to use and are easily able to learn their way around. This insight is what made Apple so big. So, yes, he is very in touch with the consumer market. Very in touch. A good brand wouldn't be able to make up for bad products if what you were saying was true.

As for insulting others without having any facts... I presented facts. Hard statistics in my first post. And I just did it again. You can research all the stuff I'm saying if you want. Look up what marketshare the iPod has in the media player market if you feel it necessary.

Steve Jobs is a damn genius and calling him stupid without any facts whatsoever apart from some bulls**t article about buttons then saying I'm the one without any basis for my argument is very troll-like, sir.

And no, I'm not aspi-rant on a different account. I'm Asp-Z. Learn to read and stop making stupid accusations again.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 11:19 pm

You Apple fanboys are worse than the Microsoft ones.

PenguinCoder
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2011, 12:18 am

its not a bad buy for a casual computer user. being that the operating system is BSDs forced to breed with each-other macks it somewhat homey for the Unix/Linus enthusiasts amongst us, while being user friendly to even my grandma. but for a server NO ill use FreeBSD thank you. it depends on your use for the computer and the level of technical stratification of the user. saying any OS is worthless is absurd. i would not recommend the Cisco 851W to my brother for a home router, neither will you ever see me with a basic Linksys on my rack. its all about the scope. if you are in digital-media then my all means get a mac.... if you wont.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 3:48 am

Burzum wrote:
You Apple fanboys are worse than the Microsoft ones.

Everything I said is entirely correct. As I said, look it all up. Can't argue with facts, so you call me pathetic names.

I'm not a "fanboy", however. I own Apple products alongside products from other tech companies such as HTC, RIM, Sony, Samsung, Nokia, and indeed Microsoft, among many others.