Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

K_W
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

My Favorites...

MOS 6510 1.02 Mhz (My first computer)
Cyrix 486 40 Mhz (First computer I built with a CD-ROM and graphics card)
Intel Pentium 60 Mhz (First Computer I had with Internet access)
Intel P4 2.4 Ghz (My current workhorse)

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 2:57 am

c64/c128

That's all I learned as far as assembly language. I'm far behind the times.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 4:09 am

I had a lot of fun with the 68000, for a while

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 Aug 2011, 5:20 am

"Old programmers never die - they branch to a different address".

I'll get me coat...

DC
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

Cornflake wrote:

I'll get me coat...

When I were a lad, computers had vacuums, not t'other way around.

Pass me my coat and zimmerframe please Cornflake, help an old man to the door...

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 Aug 2011, 4:24 pm

DC wrote:
When I were a lad, computers had vacuums, not t'other way around.
:lol:
Yes indeed. PEBKAC, or "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair".
Much good software and hardware is let down by the wetware using it.

Quote:
Pass me my coat and zimmerframe please Cornflake, help an old man to the door...
I'd be happy to, but the wheels are stuck on this cheap bath chair...

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2011, 4:45 pm

DC wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

I'll get me coat...

When I were a lad, computers had vacuums, not t'other way around..

That made me chuckle.

Glad I'm from the era in which you don't shear Ram. Or make cakes with processors.

:P

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Dang you're old. I'll stick with my Phenom II X4 955.

You fool! you know you could have just gotten the Phenom II x2 555, it's the same thing as the x4 955 after you unlock the 2 hidden cores for a much reduced price.

My favorite is the x2 545, because the performance for the price is incredible. Then it would be the AMD Athlon Thunderbird series because that was the first chip where you could overclock it like crazy and not worry about it dying or overheating.

Then I like the intel core 2 duo series, they really improved substantially from the previous generation, that was when intel really started to get things right with their processors. I imagine the i series of chips are really good too.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 9:13 pm

Anything from AMD. I find them much cheaper than Intel's chips and they have the best bang for the buck. AMD's top of the line Phenom II hex core processor is less than 200 dollars and runs at 3.4 ghz. Intel's top of the line i7 runs at around the same speed, but is almost 1,000 dollars.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2011, 8:19 pm

The Pentium rather amazed me when it came out. It was also rather expensive :)

It had ultra-super-pipelining (something like that) and internal cache galore, it had a floating point unit included (although it had a small bug initially).

It ran about twice as fast as a 486 of the same clock speed. Actually, this used to be common, the 486 also ran about twice as fast as the 386, etc. Single cores don't quite do that anymore but we're also getting more cores per CPU, which must more than balance it out for truly parallizable (new word) operations.

All the new Intel families after Pentium seem like refinements of the original. The 486 was a big jump from the 386 too, but it didn't have nearly as much pipelining. Pipelining is neat

superStruct
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2011, 9:38 pm

The z80, first time I hacked my TI-83. Nice, simple architecture.
It's the processor that taught me assembly. Seems kind of pointless now.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:34 am

superStruct wrote:
The z80, first time I hacked my TI-83. Nice, simple architecture.
It's the processor that taught me assembly. Seems kind of pointless now.

The Z80 was great. TI-83 is one of my favorite calculators, i have a TI-89 as well but i don't really like that it has a graphical interface to it. I never programmed in z80 assembly though, only TI-83 basic. I liked some of the quirks in TI-83 Basic... you didn't have to close parenthesis or quotation marks and this actually saved you a byte of program space and made your program run slightly faster.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

Ancalagon wrote:
Gak66 wrote:

BTW, megahertz and megabytes aren't typos. The first gigabyte hard drive didn't show up until around 1995.

HAHA, I still have a fully functioning 85mb HD which I purchased to dramatically boost my storage :lol: 8O

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

steffan

13 Oct 2011, 6:52 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
Gak66 wrote:

BTW, megahertz and megabytes aren't typos. The first gigabyte hard drive didn't show up until around 1995.

HAHA, I still have a fully functioning 85mb HD which I purchased to dramatically boost my storage :lol: 8O

lol, I remember saying "who the hell needs 1Gb of storage" back then ;). I found the box from our first PC (an Amstrad laptop with a monchrome display) a few months ago which had a large red sign on it proclaiming that it now included a huge 40mb hard drive. I think i was a 286 from memory. I am typing this on a computer with 1.5TB internal storage which seems obscene compared to 40mb! Our first computer was an Amstrad PCW based on the legendry Z80 but limited to 3.4Mhz running CP/M as the operating system with no internal storage and 512kb Ram even tho the Z80 could only access 64kb at a time though I remember there was a software workaround for this (it used 3" floppy disks as the storage medium which were loaded into the ram). This was the first machine I tried to programme using Mallard Basic.

I will always be fond of the original pre MMX pentium as for me thats when computers started to get really usable for "everyone" along with Win 95. I remember getting our 120mhz pentium and being blown away by its speed compared to my aunts 486DX4 which was purchased only months previously. I was never quite convinced by AMD and always found comparable intel silicon more stable for some reason.

Currently running a core i3 which I think is fantastic for its price point.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 11:06 am

I was going to say Xeon E55xx series (because they can work in teams and are awesome when they do), but then i found out about this a while back, unfortunately Intel is only making 100 of them as a research project:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141688/Intel_unveils_energy_efficient_48_core_chip

(I used to code ASM for 6502 and tried dabbeling with it on the Mc68K, but i moved on to code applications once i hit the PC).

barnabear
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2011, 5:03 pm

My first computer had an SC/MP II processor. It was a Science of Cambridge MK14.

It was truly awful.