Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2011, 5:44 am

Something that has intrigued me for a long time is quantum suicide. It's a bit like the Schrödingers cat scenario where quantum state (atomic decay) is used to determine a cats life or death. Obviously when you throw things like quantum superposition into the mix, strange things can occur.

Quantum suicide however states that if we do indeed have multiple dimensions, it should be possiable for you or you in another of the multiple dimensions to cheat death everytime, it would be a statistical fact (though chances of you surviving are tiny assuming the interpretation is indeed correct). Just hook a gun up to a photon via a device and set the device to read the photons quantum state every 10 seconds and fire (or not) depending on the photons state.

Anyway, here's a link explaining in more detail:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_ ... mmortality

:)

Last edited by Tom_Kakes on 21 Aug 2011, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:23 am

Tom_Kakes wrote:
Something that has intrigued me for a long time is quantum suicide. It's a bit like the Schrödingers cat scenario where quantum state (atomic decay) is used to determine a cats life or death. Obviously when you throw things like quantum superposition into the mix, strange things can occur.

Quantum suicide however states that if we do indeed have multiple dimensions, it should be possiable for you or you in another of the multiple dimensions to cheat death everytime, it would be a statistical fact (though chances of you surviving are tiny and assuming the interpretation is indeed correct). Just hook a gun up to a photon via a device and set the device to read the photons quantum state every 10 seconds and fire (or not) depending on the photons state.

Have you ever heard of Russian Roulette?:

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:43 am

i think your actual perception would simply be one of the possibilities, not the "indecision" itself.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2011, 6:46 am

ruveyn wrote:
Tom_Kakes wrote:

Quantum suicide however states that if we do indeed have multiple dimensions, it should be possiable for you or you in another of the multiple dimensions to cheat death everytime, it would be a statistical fact (though chances of you surviving are tiny and assuming the interpretation is indeed correct). Just hook a gun up to a photon via a device and set the device to read the photons quantum state every 10 seconds and fire (or not) depending on the photons state.

Have you ever heard of Russian Roulette?:

ruveyn

Lol

I suppose the same thing could occur considering that the atoms of the cordite could when close to explosion, be both excited and stable at the same time. But its not really like directly connecting quantum state to physical state definitively which is one of the major problems of modern science.

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2011, 6:53 am

Oodain wrote:
i think your actual perception would simply be one of the possibilities, not the "indecision" itself.

There is actually a minute chance you actually would survive every cycle. I wouldn't try it with my life though, maybe national lottery numbers...

:D