All my songs on my MP3 have mysteriously disappeared

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:35 am

I've had the same MP3 for a couple of years and it has always worked fine to this day. It has good sound quality and everything. I love my MP3 and would hate for it to stop working because it has the best sound quality I've ever heard any MP3 have.

I use it to record songs (literally using voice recorder), and the sound quality is so good that they don't sound like they've been recorded, and also I can have them how I want, like with pressing pause to skip certain parts of a song so that it records just how I want. I have over 300 recorded songs, either recorded from the internet or from my keyboard (I like to play and record songs I play on the keyboard). But today I turned on my MP3 like normal, and I found it said ''no item'' when I went on to voice. It has never done this before, and if I have lost all of my recorded songs, I wouldn't be able to get them back unless I go and look for them online again. But it will take forever to record all of them again.

I don't know how they can just suddenly disappear. The last time I listened to them on the MP3 was 2 days ago, and I just switched it off like I normally do, pressed lock like I normally do (so it doesn't turn itself on in my bag), and I haven't hooked it up to a computer or anything like that since, and now today I found they were all gone. Unless I accidently pressed delete all songs when I last turned it off, I don't see why all the recorded songs would just suddenly disappear. I have a few songs on it that I downloaded on to the MP3, and they're still all there. Just the recorded songs have gone.

Anyone know how this could have happened, and is there a way I can get them all back?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:55 am

What is the brand and name of your MP3 player?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:06 am

MP3 players use memory that withstand power loss. This SHOULD NOT have happened.

All I can say is load songs back on and see what happens. If it doesn't come back, you might have done something to accidentally erase the memory.

There could have been a glitch that corrupted the files. In most cases, the player would disregard corrupt files.

It's also possible the memory is failing...which inevitably happens, but it takes a long time before it happens.

There could also be a software glitch (can't explain why now it happened) that is deleting files from memory or just resetting the device.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2014, 9:31 am

Don't copy anything to the device.

Plug the device into a computer, then try some flash drive recovery software.

This software might work for you

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:37 am

GGPViper wrote:
What is the brand and name of your MP3 player?

Sony, and I think the name of it Walkman or something like that.

I am so upset, as it has took me over 2 years or more to record all these songs. Luckily I have most of the songs on My Music on my laptop, but the last 18 songs aren't there because I hadn't put them on, although I wish I had. But I don't know how I'm going to put all of them back on to the MP3 player. If I brought a new one, I'm afraid the sound quality might not be as good, and it might sound all quiet and muffled, not like on this MP3 player. Or I'm afraid the computer might not let me convert them on to the new MP3 player for some reason. Computers can be so awkward and nothing's explained simply.

I tried looking on Google but it's all about iTunes and iPads. My issue is just recorded songs from a basic MP3 player. I really miss them and I really want them back on my MP3 for me to listen to on the bus or when I'm out walking somewhere. It is a big deal for me, and I can't go without them, even if it takes a technician to come round and look at it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 5:13 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
MP3 players use memory that withstand power loss. This SHOULD NOT have happened.

All I can say is load songs back on and see what happens. If it doesn't come back, you might have done something to accidentally erase the memory.

There could have been a glitch that corrupted the files. In most cases, the player would disregard corrupt files.

It's also possible the memory is failing...which inevitably happens, but it takes a long time before it happens.

There could also be a software glitch (can't explain why now it happened) that is deleting files from memory or just resetting the device.

I have tried to put them all back on to the MP3 from the computer. It did do it according to the computer, but when I switched the MP3 on, it still says ''no item''. It won't let me record any more either, because when I press the record button, it says ''memory full'', even though there's nothing on there. When I plug it into the computer and open up the MP3 player file, it says the record file is empty. I really don't know what's going on.

It's funny how something can work one day, then when you next turn it on it suddenly doesn't work any more, even though you have made no changes to it since you last turned it off. It turns on all right and lights up fine and everything, but the songs have just disappeared. It turns on a lot quicker than it used to, as though all the songs really are gone.

I was dreading this day coming where the MP3 suddenly packs up after all this time. I have got attached to it and don't want to get a new one because starting over with a new MP3 isn't as easy as people say it is, when you're in my situation.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 11:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I have tried to put them all back on to the MP3 from the computer. It did do it according to the computer, but when I switched the MP3 on, it still says ''no item''. It won't let me record any more either, because when I press the record button, it says ''memory full'', even though there's nothing on there. When I plug it into the computer and open up the MP3 player file, it says the record file is empty. I really don't know what's going on.

The memory might be corrupted.

Can you format the memory either via the device or the PC? Most new MP3s can format their memory storage. A corrupted FAT (file allocation table) will make file recognition impossible. Formatting will usually fix that at the expense of being able to recover files existing in memory (absent better recovery software).

ibookfan92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2014, 11:24 pm

- Try using Recuva to recover any of your files to another drive. Your player probably just got corrupted, but if you don't read or write to it after the file loss, you might be able to recover them.
- Test if the internal storage is failing--a Gnu/Linux distribution can do this for free with the Disks application. If it is failing, replace the storage device inside your player with a new one.
- If everything fails, buy an Android mini-tablet or phone, and record to an SD card. Remember to back up to avoid losing data.

Bobik
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2019, 9:08 am

Hi to everyone, probably you have formatted your flesh memory and all your song were deleted. But do not worry you can in a simple way to download your favorite song againg by using youtube downloader. Using this service is a great opportunity to get the lastest music for fre. I chose this service of [url=https://]https://[/url] because it's free and does not change the quality i. Now I can listen to my favorite songs and podcast from youtube in offline without spending my mobile data.

Last edited by B19 on 10 Dec 2019, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.: spammer