Botany 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Food Science 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Other (specify) 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 81

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 7:24 pm

I'm becoming deeply interested in science lately--ironic, since just a couple years ago I hated anything science-related. So what is your favourite type of science?

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 7:26 pm

Oops I forgot Computer Science---oh well, that can just go under other and you can specify. I am sure I forgot others as well!

Edit: also forgot math and geology. *sigh* Oh well--that can all go under other too, I guess.

Anyway, my favourite is Ecology, but I also like Zoology, Astronomy, Meteorology, and Psychology

Last edited by littlelily613 on 10 Sep 2011, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 7:48 pm

Astrophysics.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 7:54 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Astrophysics.

Is there a huge difference between Astronomy and Astrophysics? A university in the city offers an Astronomy undergrad, but then an Astrophysics Masters and PhD. I assume they must be somewhat different but not sure how.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 8:11 pm

Neuroscience. Would be helpful if I knew the first thing about chemistry or the second thing about biology I guess but. It's what interests me most.

Want to get at the heart of what it is to be and this seems to be the science that tries to do this.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 9:29 pm

Computer Science isn't actually a science, so don't worry about it. It's more a cross between engineering and math.

I don't think there's a huge difference between Astronomy and Astrophysics. Probably they wanted to emphasize the amount of physics involved, or wanted a more impressive sounding label for it or something. My school has a department of Physics and Astronomy, which offers a BS degree labelled Astrophysics.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 10:17 pm

Forensic science, specifically forensic pathology. Though I suppose that might be considered more of an applied science than a pure science. I've also recently started looking into biophysics.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

Plant science, Neuroscience and Food science are three of my major interests. I also like pharmacology.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 11:02 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Oops I forgot Computer Science---oh well, that can just go under other and you can specify. I am sure I forgot others as well!

:cry:

I voted other for Computer Science.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 12:11 am

Ancalagon wrote:
Computer Science isn't actually a science, so don't worry about it. It's more a cross between engineering and math.

Aren't engineering and math both a type of science? Math is a science at my school...and according to the Big Bang Theory, engineer Wolowitz is a scientist. :?

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 1:02 am

Chemistry want to spend a few days stimming over one topic, chemistry is where it's at.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 2:08 am

seeing as compute sciecne often contains AI research and others i find it hard not to call it science.

then again today most advanced fields overlap in some key areas and differ in others, which in turn relate to a third field, not to mention subconections and second degree association, it quickly becomes hard to determine whats what.

my favourite area is astrophysics and physics in general.

i cat wait for the Extreme Light Infrastructure to be complete, they hope they can blast time apart in a small reagion with the most powerfull laser bank ever created.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 3:18 am

littlelily613 wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:

Aren't engineering and math both a type of science? Math is a science at my school...and according to the Big Bang Theory, engineer Wolowitz is a scientist. :?

Math is not a science. It does not follow the same empiricist methods. Rather, axioms are defined a priori and all statements that can be made must follow directly from those axioms.

And engineering is just the application of science to solve specific problems. It is not really science on its own.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 4:46 am

littlelily613 wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:

Mathematics is not a science. It is, however, a tool of science. Think of it like this: saws are not carpentry; knives are not carving; brushes are not painting. That are but the means, not the activity itself.

ruveyn

Biokinetica
Toucan
Toucan

12 Sep 2011, 5:49 pm

Ancalagon wrote:

I don't think there's a huge difference between Astronomy and Astrophysics. Probably they wanted to emphasize the amount of physics involved, or wanted a more impressive sounding label for it or something. My school has a department of Physics and Astronomy, which offers a BS degree labelled Astrophysics.

And computer science is science. It can be either a formal or empirical science of information & algorithms, and contrary to popular belief, rarely deals with the device you're typing on now.

Quote:
Despite its name, a significant amount of computer science does not involve the study of computers themselves. Because of this, several alternative names have been proposed. Certain departments of major universities prefer the term computing science, to emphasize precisely that difference. -Wiki

Last edited by Biokinetica on 12 Sep 2011, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 5:55 pm

Hmm.. would Animal Science, Zoology and Biology relate to one another?