Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2011, 4:44 pm

I begin recently to learn an program language and i choose one of more difficult...C++. Because i want to do somes programs by myself and i know that C++ can be used by many program and can get by with many things after that. I fix myself a long time goal that can be very long but very profitable. Before i need to learn the graphic part of C++ for doing somes sprites. I know that much difficult than RPG Maker but more free in options. I explain:RPG Maker can be limited if you can't script in Ruby and the program is not so good as i want so if i take 1 half or 2 years for programming i can have all features i need. Hope for mapping C++ have something for mix with it. I just forget i just learn about somes "function" and math thing linked with it. Also with C++ i can do many apps or mini games. As a like computer things hope i will still can learn it an be better with time

A very passionned computer geek

J-P

Technokid1337
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2011, 3:54 pm

Good luck, man. C+ IS slightly less complicated than C++, albeit both of which are within themselves integrated development environment developers. Have you installed additional runtime libraries for the software? This will allow you to compile code with any of the applicable libraries. Do you have the latest version of the IDE? (Visual C++ 2010, or alternatively known also as Visual C++ 10.0).

lau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 6:54 pm

Technokid1337 wrote:
Good luck, man. C+ IS slightly less complicated than C++, albeit both of which are within themselves integrated development environment developers. Have you installed additional runtime libraries for the software? This will allow you to compile code with any of the applicable libraries. Do you have the latest version of the IDE? (Visual C++ 2010, or alternatively known also as Visual C++ 10.0).

What is C+ ...
http://baetzler.de/humor/c_more_or_less.html

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 9:20 pm

Technokid1337 wrote:
Good luck, man. C+ IS slightly less complicated than C++, albeit both of which are within themselves integrated development environment developers

...What?

Technokid1337
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2011, 3:30 pm

Whoops. My bad. I meant the earlier versions wherein it was referred to as 'Visual C' instead of 'Visual C++'.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 8:00 pm

If one wishes to create cross-platform programs with GUIs, I would suggest wxWidgets...

Joshp406
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

Good luck with C++ man, I took a camp over the summer in an attempt to learn it....could never figure it out.

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 10:51 am

How long do you guys think it would take to be a good C++ programmer?
I've had this "C++ for abloslute beginners" book since I was 12 (I'm not 15), but every time I start reading it again, i get lost and confused. I only recently and fulling focused onntrying. Even when i don't 100% understand somthing i keep on reading to move on and maybe pick it up on later in life.

How long you think? and and help suggestions:
FYI (if you wanted to know): It is a 361 page book, and i hate reading. never have in my life.. O_o

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 10:58 am

Blake_be_cool wrote:
I've had this "C++ for abloslute beginners" book since I was 12 (I'm not 15), but every time I start reading it again, i get lost and confused. I only recently and fulling focused onntrying. Even when i don't 100% understand somthing i keep on reading to move on and maybe pick it up on later in life.

FYI (if you wanted to know): It is a 361 page book, and i hate reading. never have in my life.. O_o

Take a class in C++. Learning by doing is sometimes better than learning by reading.

ruveyn

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 8:33 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Blake_be_cool wrote:

Take a class in C++. Learning by doing is sometimes better than learning by reading.

ruveyn

I would, but were could i get a class for my age, and the price..

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2011, 9:01 pm

Your local community college(s) may have a C/C++ programming course. It's a pretty popular language.

As far as not liking reading, programming itself is a lot of reading (and writing) :)

You could try finding online courses that people have made for free, there has to be at least one tutorial on YouTube.

With programming, you learn certain concepts and then every language executes those concepts slightly differently but is otherwise basically the same as every other language. Structural, object-oriented (OOP), and recursive languages (Lisp, basically) are the main programming paradigms, but even then they aren't really that different and they all overlap each other almost completely

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 10:09 pm

For any one wanting to learn C++ programmig, I've been watching bucky's c++ tutorials, and they are quite helpful

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 4:02 pm

Technokid1337 wrote:
Whoops. My bad. I meant the earlier versions wherein it was referred to as 'Visual C' instead of 'Visual C++'.

There was the Microsoft C/C++ Professional Development System for MS-DOS that went up to version 7.0. Microsoft named their C/C++ IDE for Windows Visual C++ to continue the brand of their successful Visual Basic development system. The Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC, originally Application Framework Extensions, or AFX) were included originally in Microsoft C/C++ PDS 7.0, so you developed under MS-DOS for Windows. MFC provides a C++-based wrapper around the Windows API (see Microsoft's Platform SDK).

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 6:11 pm

The best way to learn any programming language is to try and understand how already existing pieces of sample code work. You can usually start with something extremely simple and then move on to more and more complex things.

Dealing with pointers and multi-dimensional arrays, especially when you are passing pointers to functions... this is where most people get confused when learning C. With C you really have to understand on a low level how a CPU executes functions and interfaces with stored variables in memory to stay out of trouble and successfully debug your own code. It's a rather low level language so you should be aware of what's really going on with regard to memory and data storage.

C++ is kind of a pain though. I'd recommend just learning C first. Then you can learn object oriented stuff with Java which is similar to C++ but much simpler. C++ object oriented syntax is weird and confusing.