Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

shifftheboss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2012, 8:34 am

scubasteve wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
shifftheboss wrote:
Algebra 2 was damn difficult, especially for a freshman in highschool, everyone else was 17. I was like 14? and i forget mostly everything from it.
Except stuff like 6xy + 18x^2 - 36x^2y^3 equals 1 + 3x + 6xy^2

And i dont even know if that's right, somebody inform me. I made the polynomial up myself lol.

That is not right.

ruveyn

I assume you're trying to factor out 6xy? Don't forget that what you factor out is still part of the equation...

6xy + 18yx^2 - 36x^2y^3 = (6xy)(1 + 3x - 6xy^2)

It is generally a good idea to work backwards and multiply it out, to make sure what's on the right side of the equation equals what's on the left.
Oh. I forgot how it's been so long since school

Hawkx
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2012, 7:21 pm

Well you can always "train" your brain to become better in math. You can train your brain to almost everything, its just that some people require more training as opposed to others.

Personally I'm very good in math and I love physics which is heavily loaded with mathematical equations. I've been good in math since I was little but I did stray here and there mostly due to the fact that I was assigned to the back seat.

CreativityOverload
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2012, 2:31 am

It is tought by those who do not understand it especially the first years in school.

Math has logical rules but you need to use creativity to really solve problems.

You wont be a chess master by knowing the rules or become a Leonardo Da Vinci by
learning to draw lines, straight and curved, circles and triangles in different colors.

You wont become a new Mozart if you can memorize one of his symphonys.
Music is extremely basic with c-h and then c-h again with the double frequency but noone claims music
is only logic.

Unfortunatelly that is how math is tought.
No understanding and hard work.

Memorize equations and put + before and move it etc.
Universities are moving in the same direction.

I feel what I should to in a situation and if that does not work then I try something else.
I never see 5 logical steps to solve it, I get a hunch and have to backtrack the logical path.

If I cannot solve it right away I go on with something else and then my subconcious
works on it and the solution will pop up later.

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2012, 10:48 pm

I didn't want to have to take many years of math in college, so, over the spring I taught myself math up to calculus level. I took the test in June and was placed in Calculus course. Yay, right? Wrong...lol School starts back up in fall and I attend my first calculus class only to realize that I have forgotten the operations. In many cases, I can somehow intuitively give the correct answer but I can't explain the equation. ( It's misfiled in my brain under "sh*t I find boring"...lol) Needless to say, I had to keep dropping down levels. Unless I am using the advanced math on a regular basis, It seems like I can not remember it...lol I am much more of a literature person!

branwik1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2016, 5:31 pm

If math is too hard for you i can suggest something.
Visit Aztekium App - Aztekium.pl/Master
You can find there many of tricks & tips so it can help you with learning :)
Good luck!

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 11:26 pm

I always found it very easy, and don't understand how people find it hard.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

NotAnEvilRobot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2016, 8:42 pm

I think people who have difficulties with math have problems working within formal, largely axiomatic guidelines to reach a logical conclusion. Memory is also important. Getting around these, or any other kinds of cognitive barriers, just takes practice, repetition, and/or trying to think of a given problem in multiple different ways.

"As buds give rise by growth to fresh buds...so by generation I believe it has been with the great Tree of Life, which fills with its dead and broken branches the crust of the earth, and covers the surface with its ever branching and beautiful ramifications." - Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 5:45 pm

Math is not one thing.

Its several very different skills put under one umbrella.

I am good at doing arithmetic in my head, but find it hard to call up my algebra from way back in school, and had trouble learning it the first time.

Many folks who have engineering degrees can't figure out the price of "one" if its labeled "three for eight dollars" (cant do calculus, much less trig, but can figure that out in my head in the bat of eyelash:2.67).

One problem might be that they teach theory first. Maybe they should give the problems first.

And make the problems colorful. Like "if one hand grenade is just right to destroy a mid sized car, then how much TNT would it take to blow up the whole Houston Astrodome?" :D